Favorite PC Game

Okay, a Steam forum gave some good advice about clearing up the choppiness of Metro, Last Light. Just go into Game Options and turn off Advanced PhysX. It worked for me. So I just cranked up the graphics to very high and played it. It doesn't matter, though because the atmosphere is pretty dreary, though. I guess it would be after an atomic war. Still I'm not too impressed with the game.

That's a great point.

Unless you have a newer Nvidia card ALWAYS turn PhysX off. It is a technology dependent on Nvidia architecture and will degrade performance on any other card.

My card is an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660. I have had it since January 2013, paid $350 for it. It was the most expensive card I ever bought so I will be keeping it for my next PC build, which may be shortly. I'm doing research as we speak.

Right now, I'm looking at getting an ASUS Z97A LGA 1150 with a 4790 Core I7 LGA 1150 with 16 gigs of Gskill Ripjaws RAM. I am leaning toward the ASUS Z97A because it provides at least two legacy PCI slots. I need one for my HD Hauppauge TV tuner.

I'm keeping my present graphics card, 850 watt PS, and 1 TB hard drive. I will have to reload Windows 8 and sit through the tons of updates. As far as CPU cooling, I am looking at one of the Corsair liquid cooling models. I have read the reviews, and not all reviews are favorable. There is a lot of talk about how the cooling system doesn't work, doa, and other reasons.

Anybody have any ideas as to your liquid cooling preferences?

Last edited:
I don't have time for it now, but I'd love to play me some Sins of a Solar Empire. :D

I don't have time for it now, but I'd love to play me some Sins of a Solar Empire. :D
Yeah! One of the best!

Heard of it, but never played it. What is it, exactly?

It's a massive, real-time strategy game involving space! I love it, because it's SO massive, with multiple solar systems to conquer. It's worth buying.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSyTVrcuvHQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSyTVrcuvHQ[/ame]

Yeah! One of the best!

It's a massive, real-time strategy game involving space! I love it, because it's SO massive, with multiple solar systems to conquer. It's worth buying.

When it was new I considered to buy it but the costs of 50 € seem to much for me as the game doesn´t offer a campaign. Then it was on a magazine´s DVD and I found it would have been worth the 50 bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah! One of the best!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSyTVrcuvHQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSyTVrcuvHQ[/ame]

Sorry, too lazy to watch the video. Does it work sort of like Star Wars: Empire at War? Because that is an RTS involving space...

Sorry, too lazy to watch the video. Does it work sort of like Star Wars: Empire at War? Because that is an RTS involving space...

It features a unique system that allows battles only close to planets, asteroids and stars. These orbs are connected by "phase lines" which serve as routes for phase jumps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah! One of the best!

At the most basic level it's a real time strategy game. Set in space with three very distinct factions. The base game starts you on a single planet, where you must develop you society and research new technology. There are three resources, credits which come from trade, crystal that must be mined, and metal that must be mined. All three are needed to construct buildings and ships. Credits are just money, used in research and all building.

One of the early criticisms was that "defense is death." In other words, those who played a defensive game were doomed to defeat. The only way to win was to use aggressive strategy. Stardock released an add-on called "Entrenchment" that was absolutely brilliant, because with a few minor changes it changed the entire game. Essentially they added very powerful space stations and a few other defense technologies. This instantly made defensive strategy very effective.

Later they released the "diplomacy" add on, which does exactly what it says.

Steam released the "Rebellion" version, which they called an add-on, but it really is just the base game with both add-on's in a single package.

Sins is probably the greatest 4X RTS in history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSyTVrcuvHQ

It features a unique system that allows battles only close to planets, asteroids and stars. These orbs are connected by "phase lines" which serve as routes for phase jumps.

Empire at War did something similar. Battles happened on the planet's surface or orbiting it. In order to move your fleet to a system, you had to use hyperspace lanes connecting the planets, so even though two planets were next to each other they may not be connected. So you jumped your fleet from system to system across the galaxy till you reached the intended destination, and you had to fight a fleet if an enemy one is there. Games were won once every planet had been subjugated. Although blockading every planet with a fleet gives you a guaranteed win.

Empire at War did something similar. Battles happened on the planet's surface or orbiting it. In order to move your fleet to a system, you had to use hyperspace lanes connecting the planets, so even though two planets were next to each other they may not be connected. So you jumped your fleet from system to system across the galaxy till you reached the intended destination, and you had to fight a fleet if an enemy one is there. Games were won once every planet had been subjugated. Although blockading every planet with a fleet gives you a guaranteed win.

That was such an odd game. Absolutely brilliant space battles, coupled with absolutely atrocious land battles. Had they left out the clunky ground battles, it would have been a fantastic game. I finally just auto-resolved all land battles, since tactics were irrelevant anyway.

Would you believe I have a new legal copy of Wofenstein the new order that I cannot play because there is no activation code in the booklet where it is supposed to be. There is just a blank space. So I cannot install the game. Does anyone know what the code is?

Would you believe I have a new legal copy of Wofenstein the new order that I cannot play because there is no activation code in the booklet where it is supposed to be. There is just a blank space. So I cannot install the game. Does anyone know what the code is?

Best thing to do is register it with Steam, in fact that's probably what it's designed to do. Then it will generate a key.

Best thing to do is register it with Steam, in fact that's probably what it's designed to do. Then it will generate a key.

So far I have had no luck. You cannot register it with steam unless you have the registration code, and there is a blank panel where the number is supposed to be.
It was a new copy that I purchased from amazon, and it was shrink wrapped. I cannot even find a hack for it on the internet. Don't tell me I purchased the only copy where the printing of the manual is faulty.

No worries, I finally found the answer on a forum where other people had the same problem. There is a silver coating over the number, and you have to scratch it off.

Forum List

Back