Favorite or Good Quote Thread

Divine Wind

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2011
Texas
Post your favorite or good quotes here. Before starting this thread I search to see if there was already one for it; there were dozens, but most were about one particular quote or a particular person who made the quote.

A couple of my favorites from Will Rogers:

Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.

Writing is like sex.
First you do it for love,
then you do it for your friends,
and then you do it for money.
-- Virginia Woolf

Lysander-Spooner-Quotes-1.jpg

"Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not."
-- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Fiction: The Ransom of Red Chief

Philoprogenitiveness, says we, is strong in semi-rural communities therefore, and for other reasons, a kidnapping project ought to do better there than in the radius of newspapers that send reporters out in plain clothes to stir up talk about such things.

The Ransom of Red Chief - O'Henry.....

Having murdered my mother under circumstances of singular atrocity, I was arrested and put upon trial, which lasted seven years. In summing up, the judge of the Court of Acquittal remarked that it was one of the most ghastly crimes that he had ever been called upon to explain away.

At this my counsel rose and said:

"May it please your honour, crimes are ghastly or agreeable only by comparison. If you were familiar with the details of my client's previous murder of his uncle, you would discern in his later offence something in the nature of tender forbearance and filial consideration for the feelings of the victim."

My Favorite Murder - Ambrose Bierce

"Fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man."
-- General George S. Patton

Who shames a scribbler? break one cobweb through,
He spins the slight, self-pleasing thread anew;
Destroy his fib or sophistry, in vain,
The creature's at his dirty work again;
Thron'd in the centre of his thin designs;
Proud of a vast extent of flimsy lines!

Epistle to Dr. Arbuthnot - Alexander Pope

Poor Cornus sees his frantic wife elope,
And curses wit, and poetry, and Pope.

Ibid.

I'd like to get even

with you

cause you're leavin'

Sad Songs and Waltzes - Willie Nelson

Did you fall at first sight

or did you need a shove?

Don't Talk to Strangers - Rick Springfield

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. -- Sun Tzu

New Topics

Forum List

Back