Father James Martin:Those who voted for it will face consequences later, when they are judged by God

I didn’t see anywhere he told the govt to do all that. It is the individual he is speaking of that fed and clothed, which most of us do, and much better than the govt ever could.
"But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. Before him all the nations will be gathered, and he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then the King will tell those on his right hand, ‘Come, blessed of my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry, and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me drink. I was a stranger, and you took me in. I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you visited me. I was in prison, and you came to me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry, and feed you; or thirsty, and give you a drink? When did we see you as a stranger, and take you in; or naked, and clothe you? When did we see you sick, or in prison, and come to you?’

“The King will answer them, ‘Most certainly I tell you, because you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’ Then he will say also to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry, and you didn’t give me food to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me no drink; I was a stranger, and you didn’t take me in; naked, and you didn’t clothe me; sick, and in prison, and you didn’t visit me.’

“Then they will also answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and didn’t help you?’

“Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Most certainly I tell you, because you didn’t do it to one of the least of these, you didn’t do it to me.’ These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

The Sheep and the Goats - Wikipedia

Republicans should replace their elephant with a goat.

Well I would suggest you read Proverbs and Philippians.

How can the tax bill take money from the Poor when the Poor don't pay any income taxes.
Why are the Left Wingers always so irrational?

"But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. Before him all the nations will be gathered, and he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then the King will tell those on his right hand, ‘Come, blessed of my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry, and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me drink. I was a stranger, and you took me in. I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you visited me. I was in prison, and you came to me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry, and feed you; or thirsty, and give you a drink? When did we see you as a stranger, and take you in; or naked, and clothe you? When did we see you sick, or in prison, and come to you?’

“The King will answer them, ‘Most certainly I tell you, because you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’ Then he will say also to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry, and you didn’t give me food to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me no drink; I was a stranger, and you didn’t take me in; naked, and you didn’t clothe me; sick, and in prison, and you didn’t visit me.’

“Then they will also answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and didn’t help you?’

“Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Most certainly I tell you, because you didn’t do it to one of the least of these, you didn’t do it to me.’ These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Charity at the barrel of a gun is hardly what Jesus had in mind.

Wow, I must have imagined that giving to Caesar that that is Caesar's part. And my Bible must be a misprint seeing as how it has this chapter by Paul called Philippians.

Please make sense so that I can respond.

Actually Left Wing economics enslaves the middle class and it doesn't lift the poor.
That's not compassion or sharing.

I didn’t see anywhere he told the govt to do all that. It is the individual he is speaking of that fed and clothed, which most of us do, and much better than the govt ever could.

I’ve read it.

Frankly, I always found it interesting that although Jesus stated of Peter "Upon this rock I will build my church", it is Paul who had the most influence.

Something to ponder.

How can the tax bill take money from the Poor when the Poor don't pay any income taxes.
Why are the Left Wingers always so irrational?

hes-right-you-know.jpg

I’ve read it.

What about Psalms, especially 72. The prophets time and time again warned the "kings" of taking care of the poor and oppressed. Never, not once, did they proclaim it was NOT the duty of government. And, like the Sheep and the Goats--they have warned that we, every individual and every nation, will be judged by how we treat the least among us. This tax reform bill forebodes a cruel judgement.

I don't see Christ's face on any of our money, so, "give unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar."
As for Nations being judged, taxes have 0 to do with it. As it is we have been a most charitable nation since our inception, soo...

This is what we will be judged according to:
"The day is near when I, the LORD, will judge all godless nations! As you have done to Israel, so it will be done to you. All your evil deeds will fall back on your own heads." Obadiah 1:15

Last edited:
Apparently the federal government is poor in his eyes.

Meanwhile the hard working citizens who pay for their waste are rich if we get to keep more of our money.

Did you read that passage?

He didn't say anyone was blessed because they gave to the government.

See why you want to generously give our money to the politicians to buy votes, we work our butts off making ends meet and still using our left over time and money to bless lives.

Let hard working people keep more of their own money and you'll see it spent far better than handing it to a politician who doesn't give a damn about the poor

Charity isn't possible at the barrel of a gun.

Anything forced isn't charity.

Never heard of Father James Martin so I looked him up. He is a Jesuit whose pet project is fighting the Church's "bigotry" against LGBT. He sounds like a political media whore, not a theologian.

That barrel of the gun comment is about the dumbest damn statement ever made. No one forces you to pay taxes, yet. You are free to leave this country and renounce your citizenship any damn time it suits your fancy. Or even better, you can sit on your fat ass and collect those lucrative welfare benefits instead of working and paying taxes.

That barrel of the gun comment is about the dumbest damn statement ever made. No one forces you to pay taxes, yet. You are free to leave this country and renounce your citizenship any damn time it suits your fancy. Or even better, you can sit on your fat ass and collect those lucrative welfare benefits instead of working and paying taxes.
You're not one to be outdone, I see...

Think you own your house? Stop paying taxes on it.

Bingo.

"The US will soon face the consequences of a #TaxBill that takes money from the poor to give to the rich. Those who voted for it will face consequences later, when they are judged. Do you think Jesus's words about being judged on how we care for the poor don't apply? Think again." - Father James Martin

The Bible is crystal clear on Christ's views on the exact right American marginal tax rate, but super fuzzy on sexuality and killing babies.

I would like to ask Father Martin two questions:

1. Who does the Bible say should give to the poor? The government or the individual? Is this nation losing its opportunity to be a giving people through the government grabbing individual earnings and creating instead a nation that resents both government and the poor? I resent the government--through taxes both revealed and hidden--leaving me pretty much hand-to-mouth, having taken away funds and opportunities for me to be the one who gives.

2. Might the Parable of the Talents also fit into this discussion, particularly the part where the person who did nothing productive with the coin he was given have it taken from him--instead of being given the coins of those who produced more.

Apparently the federal government is poor in his eyes.

Meanwhile the hard working citizens who pay for their waste are rich if we get to keep more of our money.
Yeah, poor from paying for their salacious acts. I wonder how God would feel about that?

Actually, we are forced. Try not paying them. And the govt gives nothing of itself.

Charity to those in need is not accomplished well by our government. Our govt wastes much.
When we give of ourselves, whether it be food, clothes, shelter, water, or money, whatever one needs, we receive a gift, ourselves. And are taught humility. By removing ourselves from the giving, there is no empathy to be had, no understanding of ones real needs. Do you think the govt can give a real listening ear, a hug when needed? No. And sometimes that is needed more by the giver and receiver than anything else. It brings people together, helps each understand their plight. And shows love is there from another human being.

Forum List

Back