Fat City-Thank you, Illinois taxpayers, for my cushy life.

Discussion in 'Education' started by Trajan, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    hey; tenure, pension, summers off, 3 day work week.....3% defined pension plan retirement, medical, no wonder there are 100 applicants for every spot... and virtually no one quits.

Fat City

Thank you, Illinois taxpayers, for my cushy life.
    May 30, 2011, Vol. 16, No. 35 • By DAVID RUBINSTEIN

After 34 years of teaching sociology at the University of Illinois at Chicago, I recently retired at age 64 at 80 percent of my pay for life. This calculation was based on a salary spiked by summer teaching, and since I no longer pay into the retirement fund, I now receive significantly more than when I “worked.” But that’s not all: There’s a generous health insurance plan, a guaranteed 3 percent annual cost of living increase, and a few other perquisites. Having overinvested in my retirement annuity, I received a fat refund and—when it rains, it pours—another for unused sick leave. I was also offered the opportunity to teach as an emeritus for three years, receiving $8,000 per course, double the pay for adjuncts, which works out to over $200 an hour. Another going-away present was summer pay, one ninth of my salary, with no teaching obligation.

I haven’t done the math but I suspect that, given a normal life span, these benefits nearly doubled my salary. And in Illinois these benefits are constitutionally guaranteed, up there with freedom of religion and speech.

Why do I put “worked” in quotation marks? Because my main task as a university professor was self-cultivation: reading and writing about topics that interested me. Maybe this counts as work. But here I am today—like many of my retired colleagues—doing pretty much what I have done since the day I began graduate school, albeit with less intensity.

Before retiring, I carried a teaching load of two courses per semester: six hours of lecture a week. I usually scheduled classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays: The rest of the week was mine. Colleagues who pursued grants taught less, some rarely seeing a classroom. The gaps this left in the department’s course offerings were filled by adjuncts, hired with little scrutiny and subject to little supervision, and paid little.

rest of article here-
    Fat City | The Weekly Standard

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,816
    Congratulations!

Sounds like you made some wise choices in life.

Nothing to be ashamed of.

Enjoy your retirement.

3. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    Pretty well explains why Illinois is broke. This, along with all the other give-away programs, has ruined the State. Everybody takes. Nobody gives - expect those that actually pay taxes in this State.

4. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
  5. Trajan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    did you read the whole article?

6. Trajan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
  7. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,816
    Oh, so it's not you.

In that case, I take back my congratulations and extend it to the guy in the article who made the wise choices in life.

8. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    We should all be so lucky as to live a life where we can fuck over an entire state. And since he's in a protected class, the people that are helping us go broke will demand that he retain all that and more.

And people bitch that HC is going up. fyi; The cost of education has far out striped the cost of everything else.

9. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    Why do you hate the working poor?

Are you even the slightest bit concerned that this is what makes it impossible to pay for college?

10. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,100
    And thus why my daughter's education, comprised primarily of "fill" courses she doesn't need, is about right at $17,000.
    Her class schedule is such:

Monday and Wednesday - Lecture 9:00am - 11:00am
    Tuesday and Thursday - lecture and classes from 9:00am - 5pm (one hour free from 1pm - 2pm)
    Friday - nothing.

Naturally professors are almost always there for lectures, but will miss class times a good 30% of the time in which an Assoc. Professor performs his/her duty. So a professor may only actually have 250 - 300 or so hours per year...teaching. The rest...writing papers and publishing books and public speaking.