Fareed's Take: We've downgraded ourselves

Now the lefties are going to blame republicans because Obama couldn't get enough key appointments confirmed to avert the financial crisis? The financial crisis started when Barney Frank let Fannie Mae collapse while he was telling Americans that Fannie was doing fine. Filibuster too? Will the whining ever end?

Don't you ever tire of playing Polly Parrot? "Awk, Whitehall want a cracker, awk". This thread provides more examples of the Republican effort to stall recovery in concert their Party First, the end is justified by the means, ideology.

A simple majority in congress can't "stall recovery". Deep down you lefties have to know it. Obama had the biggest gift a president could hope for, a veteran majority in both houses, and he did what community activists do best. He threw money all over the place and paid off supporters and America got screwed. Cash for Clunkers? You gotta laugh. Arsonist Van Jones on the "green jobs" board only there ain't no green jobs? You gotta laugh. Barry even tried a stand up comedian routine "I guess the shovel ready jobs weren't shovel ready ...yuk yuk". It's his game lefties. You can't blame procedural tricks in the senate and 7 months GOP majority in the house so don't try it. You only look like petulent fools.

We are a Constitutional Republic not a democracy.

I wouldn't expect someone name Fareed to understand that.

Do we directly elect our representatives in the Congress? Yes, we do.

Do we directly vote on federal legislation? No, we do not.

Do we directly elected the President of the United States? Nope.

So, in fact we are a democratic republic, we elect our representatives and the electors who elect our president.

Your parroting of a talking point is one more example on the part of the RW to redefine our nation; it is not patriotism, it is a subtle form of radicalism as is support for Nullification and efforts to amend the Constitution to deprive gay and lesbian citizens of rights.

Now the lefties are going to blame republicans because Obama couldn't get enough key appointments confirmed to avert the financial crisis? The financial crisis started when Barney Frank let Fannie Mae collapse while he was telling Americans that Fannie was doing fine. Filibuster too? Will the whining ever end?

Don't you ever tire of playing Polly Parrot? "Awk, Whitehall want a cracker, awk". This thread provides more examples of the Republican effort to stall recovery in concert their Party First, the end is justified by the means, ideology.

A simple majority in congress can't "stall recovery". Deep down you lefties have to know it. Obama had the biggest gift a president could hope for, a veteran majority in both houses, and he did what community activists do best. He threw money all over the place and paid off supporters and America got screwed. Cash for Clunkers? You gotta laugh. Arsonist Van Jones on the "green jobs" board only there ain't no green jobs? You gotta laugh. Barry even tried a stand up comedian routine "I guess the shovel ready jobs weren't shovel ready ...yuk yuk". It's his game lefties. You can't blame procedural tricks in the senate and 7 months GOP majority in the house so don't try it. You only look like petulent fools.

I suggest you go and get a GED. Civics is a basic requirement and in doing so you won't embarass yourself (as often as you do).

Why do you hate the middle class and support Obama on holding the country hostage until we eneded up getting our credit downgraded?

I don't hate any class, even those like you who have no class. Thanks for proving once again that the New Right accuses others of what they do. Holding the country hostage and stalling economic recovery is a classless act by radical Republicans.

What!!! You support Obama getting the US into another depression by holding the country hostage!!! My gawd man! You must hate the poor too!

I suggest you go and get a GED. Civics is a basic requirement and in doing so you won't embarass yourself (as often as you do).

Good news, you don't have to vote anymore! A minority of Dems in congress can screw over a Majority of Reps in the house/Senate and even with a Republican President!!!! My gawd!

Thanks for giving me the chance to repeat myself but you need to get better material than parrots and GED's . You are starting to sound like Harry Reid.

Thanks for giving me the chance to repeat myself but you need to get better material than parrots and GED's . You are starting to sound like Harry Reid.

It's okay, continue to ignore the theory of holes. Those who have passed Civics understand the foolish ignorance of your post.

It's okay, continue to ignore the theory of holes. Those who have passed Civics understand the foolish ignorance of your post.

Yes, it was all that tiny minority of Tea Party people that brought that Obama to his knees... The weakest President and party to ever hold office in the history of our country... Vote for him again, maybe if you have 100% Democrrats they will get something meaningful done.

lol@you.

On reflection it's not fair of me to point out your abject ignorance of our Constitutiion without some effort to educate you. You see, for a law to be passed it must pass both the Senate and the House of Representatives by a simple majority and then be signed by the president.

Hence, when the House has a majority of Republicans, and those members all vote as they are told, it matters not if the Senate is able to pass, for example a jobs bill, when the members of the House all vote against it. The bill never gets to the president, and the American people still suffer from unemployment.

In this way the Republican Party has effectively stalled any effort by the President, and the Majority of Democrats in the Senate, to provide relief to the millions of Americans seeking employment.

I typed very slowly in the hope you might comprehend this basic principle of our democratic republic.

On reflection it's not fair of me to point out your abject ignorance of our Constitutiion without some effort to educate you. You see, for a law to be passed it must pass both the Senate and the House of Representatives by a simple majority and then be signed by the president.

Hence, when the House has a majority of Republicans, and those members all vote as they are told, it matters not if the Senate is able to pass, for example a jobs bill, when the members of the House all vote against it. The bill never gets to the president, and the American people still suffer from unemployment.

In this way the Republican Party has effectively stalled any effort by the President, and the Majority of Democrats in the Senate, to provide relief to the millions of Americans seeking employment.

I typed very slowly in the hope you might comprehend this basic principle of our democratic republic.

Yes but the Dems couldn't even pass their own bills.... And the 100% voted no on Obama's bill... So why do you hate the poor, the middle class, rich people, blacks and support Obama holding the country hostage until he caused a Depression?

Man you sounds like an idiot btw. Wah wah waah, it was all the Republicans fault, why don't they just vote with the Democrats... It's like you believe voters put the Republicans in office to vote for whatever Obama wanted... Maybe you feel that way because that's what the Dems did after getting into office with Bush, you know, lied and then stuck it to their base.

Sometimes. It. Helps. To. Type. Like. This.

Yes but the Dems couldn't even pass their own bills.... And the 100% voted no on Obama's bill... So why do you hate the poor, the middle class, rich people, blacks and support Obama holding the country hostage until he caused a Depression?

Man you sounds like an idiot btw. Wah wah waah, it was all the Republicans fault, why don't they just vote with the Democrats... It's like you believe voters put the Republicans in office to vote for whatever Obama wanted... Maybe you feel that way because that's what the Dems did after getting into office with Bush, you know, lied and then stuck it to their base.

Obviously I didn't type slowly enough.

More or less, if we used wavecrashers idiotic logic the Dems should have just said "ok" to the Republicans and we would have had a budget with 4 trillion in cuts and avoided a downgrading of our credit... But because the Dem's and Obama wanted to hold the country hostage they caused a downgrade in our countries credit rating and also fucked the "recovery" that was not happening.

Interesting how it can be spun like that and the only think WC can say is "Mum Mum Mum" as he tried to pull Obama's cock out of his mouth.

Obviously I didn't type slowly enough.

You're getting schooled, it's fun =D

I typed fast, sorry... I can see why you get frustrated lol.

Do you need me to type slower for you WC?

Sometimes. It. Helps. To. Type. Like. This.

Given that he can't construct a simple sentence, I suspect you are spot on.

You gotta laugh though. As a former editor for Newsweek (Fareed) Zakariah wasn't qualified for much else when they let him go so he took up a position as a wine editor for Slate. What goes around comes around, he went from a wine columnist to a whining columinist.

Before Newsweek and Time, he was the youngest editor of Foreign Affairs magazine ever appointed. He's very well respected in the Political Science community and has written for both the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal. His article after 9/11, "The Politics of Rage: Why do they hate us?" brought him into mainstream popularity as a means of understanding a part of the world not many Americans are familiar.

His books are all great reading for those interested in the political sciences: From Wealth to Power: The Unusual Origins of America's World Role (Princeton, 1998), The Future of Freedom (Norton, 2003), and The Post-American World (2008).

I just can't get excited by charges of "do nothing" of this Congress. Every time the last Congress did something, it added a couple of trillion to an already terrible deficit.

It reminds me of something Will Rogers once said of President Calvin Coolidge. He said something to the effect of "Congress wanted nothing to be done by President Coolidge, and he done it."

That one never made sense to me until recently. :lol:

I just can't get excited by charges of "do nothing" of this Congress. Every time the last Congress did something, it added a couple of trillion to an already terrible deficit.

It reminds me of something Will Rogers once said of President Calvin Coolidge. He said something to the effect of "Congress wanted nothing to be done by President Coolidge, and he done it."

That one never made sense to me until recently. :lol:

Will Rogers' wisdom is timeless.
PEOCowboyHL1.gif

fareed's take: We've downgraded ourselves – global public square - cnn.com blogs

congress is more polarized than ever before...and that polarization has resulted in paralysis. More than two years into the obama administration, hundreds of key positions in government remain vacant for lack of senate confirmation. The treasury department had to handle the global financial crisis, recession, bank stress tests and automaker bailouts, as well as its usual duties, with about a dozen of its senior positions - almost its entire top management - vacant. Senate rules have been used, abused and twisted to allow constant delay and blockage.

The filibuster, historically employed about once a decade, is now a routine procedure that allows the minority to thwart the will of the majority. In 2009, senate republicans filibustered a stunning 80% of major legislation. Given how the chamber is composed - two senators per state, no matter how thinly populated - people representing just 10% of the country can block all legislation.

Is that how a democracy should function?
No

Forum List

Back