False pregnancy???

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
Okay so the latest on the dogs is this...Mylo is experiencing a false pregnancy. I thought it might be allergies; but I think it is a false pregnancy. She has done this before a couple of times...once when we left her for a week to go on vacation.

On that occasion, when we returned she had made a bed on the couch from which she wouldn't move (she bit both me and my daughter when we tried to pet/move her). In fact, I thought she had HAD puppies and was looking for them...her mammaries were swollen and red, she was fat though she hadn't been eating or drinking....

She did it again about a year or so later, but not anywhere near as extreme.

Well now she's so swelled up she looks like she has mastitis and we'll have to take steps if the swelling doesn't go down pronto. She's incredibly grumpy and has spent the last few days essentially on the couch, attacking the boys; i.e., my son and poor Klaus, who has NO IDEA what the heck is going on or why Mylo randomly attacks him. He keeps trying to find places to hide from her...in teh bathroom, in my closet, in my son's room, poor fella. She actually tore him a little under his eye, I even put medicine on it to keep it from getting infected (it's fine but you know, it might leave a little scar...it's the really delicate tissue right under the eye, scars easily).

I was reading up on things that cause these symptoms, and I do believe it's the old false pregnancy thing...not so much the allergies. I think her allergies can trigger it or make it worse; I'm not sure how but they seem to make everything worse so that makes sense to me. And when she's allergic, it's her belly where it's obvious; it turns bright, bright red.

I'll check her here in a bit and may give her a hot pack for her boobies, poor old girl.

And you know, it might be having a pup around that triggered it this time...I read that one theory is that puppy-less dogs will experience false pregnancy as a safeguard to keep pack puppies fed.

So that's the update on Mylo for those who are curious about her booby issues.

• Banned
Yup, it's false pregnancy...

But it's getting better. I put hot packs on the poor thing for a while and it helped but she was already looking better. Her skin looks better too, no longer red and blotchy thanks to removal of ALL food allergens (almost all food, period, lol. Sometimes it's better just to withhold food for a day when she has a reaction, that's the quickest way to stop it). She's no longer throwing herself at Klaus and snarling insanely out of the blue. Poor baby. And yup she's lactating (blech) but that will go away too....blech.

• Banned
At least we're not having bowel issues, knock on wood. Though she was puking the other day....that has to do with her allergies.

• Banned
and Mylo is having a tough time, too!

Lol..she's getting better by the hour. Once the inflammation goes, we're in the home stretch.

• Banned
Update:

The mastitis came back before vaca but I was fairly certain it was exacerbated by the proximity of Klaus (puppy, though he's as big as a house). Sure enough, when we came back after our 8 day vaca, she was immensely improved.

I hope hope hope it doesn't come back. I'm going to be bummed if I have to get flipping hormones for my obnoxious Mylo!

• Banned
Mastitis gone when we returned from vaca, and the false pregnancy is a thing of the past. Thank goodness, what an obnoxious affliction.

Forum List

Back