CDZ Fake News/Media Syndrome

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Foxfyre, Dec 9, 2017.

?

How serious is fake/biased/erroneous news in modern times?

1. 1. Not serious at all

2. 2. Somewhat serious

3. 3. Serious

4. 4. Extremely serious.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,452
    I am not going to make this yet another tiresome thread of what President Trump said or didn't say, meant or didn't mean with a "Muslim ban". This thread is about how things are reported and whether that is in a way that is honest and ethical or whether it is in a way that is dishonest and unethical and therefore constitutes fake news.

Now if you frame a question in a specific way that relates to how things are reported and that can be evaluated based on actual media coverage, I will be happy to answer it or tell you I don't have an answer.

2. Syriusly

Syriusly Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,711
    Nor did I go into what Trump said- or what he did mean or didn't mean.

You made a very specific claim about the media that this entire thread really revolves around- you used the case of Trump's ban as an example- I didn't bring it up- you did.

Once again:
    You claimed that the media:
    But no, in most of the mainstream media, President Trump is racist/Islamophobic yadda yadda yadda with almost no mention of the stated reasoning around the temporary ban

And I said:

So far this appears to be only your unsubstantiated opinion. Personally I think it displays a bias on your part. Because of your terms 'most' and 'almost no mention'- AND because you left out the reason why so many considered this to be part of a bigger plan- Trump's own campaign rhetoric.

Your reply to my post doesn't seem to have anything to do with my post- because my post is challenging your claim. You haven't substantiated that most of the mainstream media claimed what you claimed. You have just asked us to accept your conclusion.

My challenge to you is frankly about the credibility of your claims in this entire thread. You the example I have focused in on is just one- but I am mystified why you won't address it.

You have made a very specific claim about an abuse by the media regarding a specific incident.

I didn't agree with you- and went back and found specific headlines that didn't agree with your claim.

IF you are unable to back up your claim that in most of the mainstream media, President Trump is racist/Islamophobic yadda yadda yadda with almost no mention of the stated reasoning around the temporary ban

Then why should any of us accept any of your other unsubstantiated claims?

You have made a claim- substantiate it.

3. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,452
    If anybody wanted to see a demonstration of media bias, the recent Pew study should illustrate it very well, especially in the first 60 days and it is still 3 to 1 negative now.

Pew: Trump media three times more negative than for Obama, just 5 percent positive

[​IMG]

And this despite a great deal of accomplishment in President Trump's first year of office, most of which was ignored or given only the slightest attention by most of the MSM:

The first half of the year:
    President Trump’s Accomplishments (7.14.2017) - TheLead.com

The whole year:
    Year One List: 81 major Trump achievements, 11 Obama legacy items repealed

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Lapax

Lapax Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good comment EvilEye, It truly is up to the news consumer. When it comes to news and understanding our world, it is important to continue to pay attention and get your news from multiple sources. Individual sources are usually corrected when they get it wrong or cross the line of objectivity (too egregiously) by themselves or media watchers. I usually do not blacklist major news sources when they get it wrong. If I get a half gallon of bad milk from Kroger, I do not stop shopping there forever and I do not give up milk, as it important to my diet. I do not assume they are trying to poison me, although I do sniff before I drink.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,452
    But suppose during the year you shopped at Kroger's every week and in 25% of weeks you bought milk, the milk was bad. The next time you needed milk and needed it to be good, would you go to Krogers if you had someplace else to buy it?

I agree though that I don't stop reading/watching MSM just because they get so much wrong. But when they demonstrate obvious dishonest/biased reporting so often re certain topics, I do not rely on them for good information on those topics.

Welcome to USMB by the way. I hope you find a good niche here.

6. Syriusly

Syriusly Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,711
    Now you want to conflate media bias with "Fake News"?

7. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,452
    When it is biased to the point of dishonesty, it is fake news.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. IM2

IM2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,667
    I do believe that when we look at his record Obama was correct about how Fox portrayed his administration. To this point Trump is the on being dishonest abut the media.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. IM2

IM2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,667
    Come on. There are better examples of media bias than Roy Moore.

For instance, how many human interest stories do you see on any news station or in any media about the good things or good people in the black and hispaniic communities? Unless its done by a black or hispanic source, you do not see the Hispanic kid who graduated from High School with honors, never with a criminal record, no gang membership, etc. Or the same with the black kid. But you will see any act of violence that goes in in these communities. You won't see the story about the black or hispanic civic group holding the fish fry raise money for something like you do in the white community. If we want to discus media bias, let's talk about legitimate cases. .

10. PredFan

PredFan Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,095
    You think that because you listen to them. Nothing FOX said was untrue about Obama. Nearly everything the MSM says about Trump is untrue and easily proven untrue. They don't care, they hate Trump so much that they publish lies and don't care.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1