Faith vs Superstition

• Banned
Are they one and the same?

Discuss.

Same thing basically, only on different scales.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but I am a bit puzzled by how differently webster's editors appear to view the two.

Faith:
1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs <the Protestant faith>

Superstition:
1 a : a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation b : an irrational abject attitude of mind toward the supernatural, nature, or God resulting from superstition
2 : a notion maintained despite evidence to the contrary

So tell me, are radical Islamic jihadi's faithful or superstitious? What about radical Christian fundamentalists? :dunno:

Are they one and the same?

Discuss.

Same thing basically, only on different scales.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but I am a bit puzzled by how differently webster's editors appear to view the two.

Faith:
1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs <the Protestant faith>

Superstition:
1 a : a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation b : an irrational abject attitude of mind toward the supernatural, nature, or God resulting from superstition
2 : a notion maintained despite evidence to the contrary

So tell me, are radical Islamic jihadi's faithful or superstitious? What about radical Christian fundamentalists? :dunno:

I think the two coincide when you coonsider the part of 'superstition' that I put in BOLD. It always gets me when good Christians say "everything happens for a reason" or "it's part of God's plan". That to me is superstition. Things don't always happen for a reason and God doesn't have plans for us as individuals; He has rules. It's up to us to make the plan utilizing our free will. While "God's plan" smacks of Olympian gods meddling in human affairs.

• Banned
I think they do in fact 'mean' different things but two people can look upon the same thing and one conclude it's faith and the other that it's superstition. To me, believing you have several dozen virgins waiting for you in the afterlife if you blow yourself and others to tiny bits qualifies as superstition.

They are different you can have faith in a superstition or faith in science or faith in man.

Superstition is just one of many things that man can put his faith in.

I think they do in fact 'mean' different things but two people can look upon the same thing and one conclude it's faith and the other that it's superstition. To me, believing you have several dozen virgins waiting for you in the afterlife if you blow yourself and others to tiny bits qualifies as superstition.

Um, well, now let's consider this for a moment.... the mind is a most powerful thing and if throughout one's life they live with such a belief, be it a superstition or other... they could very well after death of body dwell within their time-expiring mind in a realm of such self-indulgence.

Also, there is the philosophical redefining of 'virgin'. Something to further consider, too, is whether the body is needed for the level of 'sex' intended.

Forum List

Back