Fairness Doctrine

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Avatar4321, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    As noted in another thread a number of Members of the Democrat Underground are calling for a reestablishment of the Fairness Doctrine. Senator Reid made statements about a month or so ago indicating that he wanted to reinstate it as well.

Since the President seems to eager to work with the Congress, is he going to support this?

2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    He may at some point. But I think the initial issues they're going to deal with is raising the minimum wage, which Bush says he might be able to get on board with. It's only fair, after all, since Congress keeps raising their own paychecks and many states have already done so with none of the ill effects predicted by the alarmists.

3. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Yes, raising the minimum wage is the BEST idea for "helping working families." After all, paying x% of $6.85/hr is better than paying x% of 5.15/hr. And it will especially help when all the tax cuts expire. That will REALLY put money in the "working families'" pockets. Oh wait... I was confusing "working families" with "federal government." :rolleyes:

4. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Sometimes Fair is Evil. Let the market decide minimum wage; not federal law. If Congress was run by a private organization congress wouldn't have to vote-in their own pay raises now, would they?

5. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,774
    Wow, the assault on the First Amendment has already begun and they haven't even been sworn into office yet.

6. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    It's not the "working class famiies" who benefit from the tax cuts. Does $400 a year make a huge difference to you? Doubt it... Unless you're in the top 1% of wageearners, it isn't really going to affect you now, is it.... especially if they make college tuition tax deductible and rebuild the student loan and pell grant programs that the repubs eviscerated.

Finally, Bush is the only leader ever... in history... ever... who cut taxes during wartime. You want to fight your war, then the money has to come from somewhere.

7. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    Anyone who pays taxes benefited from the tax cuts. That is why they cut taxes for everyone who paid them.

And cutting taxes has INCREASED the governments revenue. It has happened everytime its tried.

8. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,774
    Tax revenues increased by the tax cuts you moron.

9. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    It's a question of how large the benefit... The average family probably saved about $400 a year. It's the top wage-earners who benefitted. It always struck me as interesting when people like Bill Gates and Donald Trump comment that Congress ran to save money for rich people like them and opposed the tax cuts. They were right and put national interest in front of their own greed.

As for increasing government revenue, that's simply not the case. Our debt is unspeakable... we've been operating on a credit card that our children will be paying off. They cut taxes for the 1% and then gave tax breaks to the corporations for off-shoring and outsourcing. That's resulted in our kids being born with $20,000 to $30,000 in debt. I'd like us to do better for my son.

10. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    That's a bunch of crap... it's why there was a recession after Reagan and why Bush I couldn't keep his "read my lips... no new taxes" promise and got tossed out after one term.

I wouldn't go calling other people names, dude...check that your own house is in order first.

And now I have to go work for a living.

Cheers.