Fabric birds!

I'm not a huge crafty person but a fb friend put up some pics of her homemade birdies, that she is going to use for mobiles, or whatever.

I saw them and thought, what a great project for the kids! We could churn out a lot of these in a night...we can attach strings and give them out as Christmas ornaments!

So that's the plan tonight...we're going to clear the table, bring out the sewing machine and the scissors and make us some birds.

I think we'll use the pattern here:

Sew Your Own Fabric Birds

IMGP2384425x640.jpg

Wow, those are neat!

These are super cute. What a great gift idea. Are they incredibly hard to make? My dad loves birds, so I might try to make him some ornaments this year as a little surprise for the holidays.

Nope, they're easy...the kids helped me and my mother LOVES them.

We will have to make some more!

I found the pattern online, I think I probably linked it somewhere up there ^^^^

We put mom's in her christmas tree, which stands in the picture window...that looks out into a lilac bush with a wide assortment of birds that feed at her feeders year round. In the winter, it's branches and snow and birds...and she watches them all day. She identifies them and distinguishes them, and tracks them from year to year.

All informally, of course. I don't know why she doesn't sketch them, she is a good hand at drawing, and has all the materials.

I gifted them to her and didn't really expect her to be so happy with them! They were sort of a...a...LARK!

Oh my goodness. When I saw a thumbnail of this, I thought he was made of quilt fabric. Instead it's good ol' embroidery to the rescue:

il_fullxfull.322794917.jpg

You can do things with feathers using embroidery stitches, whether by hand or machine.

All I found as a bird today was this soft sculpture bald eagle:

69390.jpg

Speaking of Haliaeetus encephacalus, Spoonman captured a beautiful pair of the other day, and I think you might enjoy seeing them. They're really cool. Wild Side Peckers Comparison Club :D

Those are so cool...we have a birthday coming up on Sunday, another one of my daughter's friends. I think I will be able to get two pillowcases pulled together for her. If not, I am going to make her some lavender sachets...I have the lavender in my kitchen, dried and ready to go, and I have access to more if I need it....

And a friend just had a baby, and she's into the whole owl theme. I think those little owls are adorable.

You could make a mobile with little birdie owls for the baby. I only found one eagle, while looking for eagle tea towels to share here. It was on a quilt square:

015.JPG

It was flying above her Christmas tree square, the 12th in a series:

December+Embroidery+Journal+Quilt+Square.JPG

It looks folk artsy. I love fabric, hand, or machine embroidered birds! Just do. :)

The artists' blog is at harvest Moon by Hand.​

I have started a huge embroidered swan on some pillowcases but I think I may be doing some stitch picking...

Oh, noes! You're not talking about removing stitches already done, are you? :eek:

Well, I should just shush. Necessity IS the mother of invention, after all. :)

I have to redo a lot of stuff lol...I'm re-canning chicken broth that didn't seal last night, tonight. I started using a satin stitch on that pattern...and got into it and thought oh no, what was I thinking....

I have to redo a lot of stuff lol...I'm re-canning chicken broth that didn't seal last night, tonight. I started using a satin stitch on that pattern...and got into it and thought oh no, what was I thinking....
Satin stitch? My deepest condolences!

I'll have to dig it out. It might not be a do over, I might just go with it. We'll see. At some point I should be a little bit more of a perfectionist.

Some zany lady put her bird quilt up for friends to see:

Attachments

• $quilt, flying birds.jpg
    $quilt, flying birds.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 112
I knew I shouldn't have gotten started on flamingos...

Wild-Flamingo.jpg

07f76dfe0e226f242743b8bd6013f6cc.jpg

artfulbird_3.jpg

flamingo.jpg

Oh, people seem to either love or hate flamingo arts... my sister has collected a lot of flamingos and they're all displayed in her front yard, which is SO CUTE! She also is an avid gardener, it's delightful, and her professional artist husband tolerates it, too. :D

I know this is neither sculpture nor smooth quilt surface, but it is a cute use of ephemera to make a pleasing work of fabric with the theme of a red bird in his unique surroundings ... a work which notices the musical aspect of birdhood, too!

redbirdblueapple1.jpg

Forum List

Back