F35 - superfighter or lame duck?

Horse feathers. Since you can't be responsible to not lie about what you already said, I don't believe you on your other information.

Does this ring a bell

If you are offended by my F-4 Phantom observation then there truly is no hope for you.

Please do not respond to my posts as I will automatically assume you are slanting things for your own sick reasons.

Sheesh. You act like a damned 12 year old. Yes, it rings a bell, I stated a FACT about both F-35's going Non Op, and made an observation about the F-4, you then posted this...

"I give up on you. Glad you don't have any say in what happens. You just ain't that important and neither am I."

I have no idea what drugs you are on but you need to get a grip. Your response to my factual posts makes no sense. Period.

Standard Grade School response on your part. You really don't need the drugs I am on. I stand by my response. If I didn't mean it, I wouldn't have posted it.

And you call yourself a Moderator.

Yes, you stand behind it. Now. Would you care to tell the class what you meant by it? Did the F-35's both break? Yes. Did I make any other claim about them? No. Did I say it was cool seeing two Phantoms airborne again? Yes. Your response was "I give up on you". I have no idea what you mean by that other than you are batshit crazy and will give an auto response that has no relationship to the world.

Good day.

I doubt that both F-35As were grounded for a week. I doubt your whole story. And you used a backward insult on your F-4 statement. Not the way that a moderator should act. Maybe the trust placed in you is misplaced.

:banned03:

What the fuck is a "backward insult"? You can doubt all you want, but that is a fact as far as the F-35's go.

Impressive when flown, those overstuffed turkeys.

Perhaps most impressive in consideration of the old adage: "Seldom seen is wonderful!"

I did like the F35 mockup that was on display at Farnborough - haven't gone to Reno in decades though when I was younger and more patient I did drive up for air races and a visit to Bill Lear's hangar where they were "winding" the fuselage for the plane he was working on when he died (had nothing to do with that or any airplane). Lost track of whether that interesting co-axial concept ever flew.

Impressive when flown, those overstuffed turkeys.

Perhaps most impressive in consideration of the old adage: "Seldom seen is wonderful!"

I did like the F35 mockup that was on display at Farnborough - haven't gone to Reno in decades though when I was younger and more patient I did drive up for air races and a visit to Bill Lear's hangar where they were "winding" the fuselage for the plane he was working on when he died (had nothing to do with that or any airplane). Lost track of whether that interesting co-axial concept ever flew.

Lears old hangar is now the RARA and Sport Class pit area.

Horse feathers. Since you can't be responsible to not lie about what you already said, I don't believe you on your other information.

Does this ring a bell

Please do not respond to my posts as I will automatically assume you are slanting things for your own sick reasons.

Sheesh. You act like a damned 12 year old. Yes, it rings a bell, I stated a FACT about both F-35's going Non Op, and made an observation about the F-4, you then posted this...

"I give up on you. Glad you don't have any say in what happens. You just ain't that important and neither am I."

I have no idea what drugs you are on but you need to get a grip. Your response to my factual posts makes no sense. Period.

Standard Grade School response on your part. You really don't need the drugs I am on. I stand by my response. If I didn't mean it, I wouldn't have posted it.

Yes, you stand behind it. Now. Would you care to tell the class what you meant by it? Did the F-35's both break? Yes. Did I make any other claim about them? No. Did I say it was cool seeing two Phantoms airborne again? Yes. Your response was "I give up on you". I have no idea what you mean by that other than you are batshit crazy and will give an auto response that has no relationship to the world.

Good day.

I doubt that both F-35As were grounded for a week. I doubt your whole story. And you used a backward insult on your F-4 statement. Not the way that a moderator should act. Maybe the trust placed in you is misplaced.

What the fuck is a "backward insult"? You can doubt all you want, but that is a fact as far as the F-35's go.

No, it's a fact as far as you can see (if it actually happened at all). The construction of the F-35 is such that it's a snap to fix. Engine change in less than 30 minutes, almost all the components are behind access panels, etc.. Outside of the internal fuel tanks, there isn't even a series of things that can ground a F-35A for more than a few hours at best. Of course, it they had chosen to replace the internal fuel tanks they would have been there for a few weeks. Your story doesn't hold up, blinky.:banana2:

Sounds like that presto-chango engine might have been one of the best parts of the design. Were these things old on the open market a neat promotion might be to include three spare engines with every purchase!

Sounds like that presto-chango engine might have been one of the best parts of the design. Were these things old on the open market a neat promotion might be to include three spare engines with every purchase!

There are some really well thought out maintenance things on the F-35A Easy access and more. Look for it to be the new standard on any new Aircraft including the B-21.

Good day.

No, it's a fact as far as you can see (if it actually happened at all). The construction of the F-35 is such that it's a snap to fix. Engine change in less than 30 minutes, almost all the components are behind access panels, etc.. Outside of the internal fuel tanks, there isn't even a series of things that can ground a F-35A for more than a few hours at best. Of course, it they had chosen to replace the internal fuel tanks they would have been there for a few weeks. Your story doesn't hold up, blinky.:banana2:

Yes. Anything is a snap to fix when you have the parts to do so. Lockheed promised there would be 1,013 of them in USAF inventory by now. There are, in fact, only 179 of them. Surprisingly enough, the supply chain for them isn't up to snuff. Give them a couple of years and your statement about them being able to be rapidly brought back to operational status will probably be true.

It is not true....now.

The supply chain for the new squadrons are in place. Just how long does it take to get anything from Luke AFB to LV. once again, you are showing that you haven't a clue in operations. Are you now going to claim you were a USAF Military Pilot in the past?

Good day.

Yes. Anything is a snap to fix when you have the parts to do so. Lockheed promised there would be 1,013 of them in USAF inventory by now. There are, in fact, only 179 of them. Surprisingly enough, the supply chain for them isn't up to snuff. Give them a couple of years and your statement about them being able to be rapidly brought back to operational status will probably be true.

It is not true....now.

The supply chain for the new squadrons are in place. Just how long does it take to get anything from Luke AFB to LV. once again, you are showing that you haven't a clue in operations. Are you now going to claim you were a USAF Military Pilot in the past?

Good day.

It is not true....now.

Yaaah, there is a supply chain. There is precious little in it though as they are trying like hell to get aircraft to the squadrons. They are almost 900 aircraft short from what was promised. Guess what, the squadron supply chains aren't getting shit for a while. And it's not a new problem. It is a systemic problem that has been affecting almost all of the aircraft in the inventory. Amazingly enough the obama admin wished to buy shiny new toys, but, failed to adequately support them. Where have we heard that before?

'Wiped Out': Air Force losing pilots and planes to cuts, scrounging for spare parts

Then there is the shortage of parts, which is pushing the Air Force to get creative in order to keep these planes airborne. They have had to cannibalize out-of-service planes from what is known as "The Boneyard," a graveyard in the Arizona desert for jets that are no longer flying.

They strip old planes of parts, but now there aren't many left -- posing an obvious problem.

Like their counterparts in the Marine Corps, they even cannibalize museum aircraft to find the parts they need to get planes back into combat.

Capt. Travis Lytton, who works to keep his squadron of B-1’s airborne, showed Fox News a museum aircraft where his maintainers stripped a part in order to make sure one of his B-1s could steer properly on the ground.

'Wiped Out': Air Force losing pilots and planes to cuts, scrounging for spare parts

It is not true....now.

Yaaah, there is a supply chain. There is precious little in it though as they are trying like hell to get aircraft to the squadrons. They are almost 900 aircraft short from what was promised. Guess what, the squadron supply chains aren't getting shit for a while. And it's not a new problem. It is a systemic problem that has been affecting almost all of the aircraft in the inventory. Amazingly enough the obama admin wished to buy shiny new toys, but, failed to adequately support them. Where have we heard that before?

Then there is the shortage of parts, which is pushing the Air Force to get creative in order to keep these planes airborne. They have had to cannibalize out-of-service planes from what is known as "The Boneyard," a graveyard in the Arizona desert for jets that are no longer flying.

They strip old planes of parts, but now there aren't many left -- posing an obvious problem.

Like their counterparts in the Marine Corps, they even cannibalize museum aircraft to find the parts they need to get planes back into combat.

Capt. Travis Lytton, who works to keep his squadron of B-1’s airborne, showed Fox News a museum aircraft where his maintainers stripped a part in order to make sure one of his B-1s could steer properly on the ground.

I can see you have never heard the name "Hangar Queen". Even though it's not supposed to happen, it is a fact of life. The Bird might be in hangar queen status for a week, or two then it's put back together and goes back on the line. This probably goes back to the Wright Flyer. Just a way to get the parts needed quicker than the normal supply chain. AS hard as you anti USAF idiots try, there is no story here.

"The Bone" is no longer in production including many of the spare parts. In the early 70s, we went through the same thing with the C-124C. It's not listed in the active inventory but low and behold, there sat two in Anchorage flying their merry heads off. Every "Shakey" was high time. They spent most of their lives flying over the water long distance flights. The reason they were still around was that they were the only bird in the inventory that could land on a gravel runway while carrying an eight wheeled emergency fire truck. When one was lost or would run out of time on the Air Frame we would either strip it in place (sinking it into the ocean) or fly the bird down to DM (boneyard), park it right next to the one we wanted, strip all the good stuff from one and transfer it to the one we are taking. We would fly the New? bird out of there. This is why the Boneyard was created. Using it may sound shocking to you but there really isn't any news here.

The AV8B has long since gone out of production. Just for spare parts, when the British retired their AV8As, the Marines bought them for their own boneyard so they would have parts. The parts are no longer in production so you do what you have to do.

All of these examples are to show that Hangar Queens, boneyards and easter egg hunts are as old as flight itself. Right now, the F-18C, F-16A, F-15C, B-52, all the aging birds are using up the resources quickly out of the Boneyards. When that resource has been consumed then all the rest join their ghosts in DM and meet the wrecking ball.

What may be cutting news to you may be old hat to us old timers. Three Aircraft come to mind as being headed the rest of the journey; AV8B, F-18C and A-10C. All three are no longer in production and are hanging on a wing and a prayer. All three's lives have been or are going to be life extended. But you can only do that for so long before they start falling out of the sky. Your "Breaking News" ain't so breaking at all. It's old history.

It is not true....now.

I can see you have never heard the name "Hangar Queen". Even though it's not supposed to happen, it is a fact of life. The Bird might be in hangar queen status for a week, or two then it's put back together and goes back on the line. This probably goes back to the Wright Flyer. Just a way to get the parts needed quicker than the normal supply chain. AS hard as you anti USAF idiots try, there is no story here.

"The Bone" is no longer in production including many of the spare parts. In the early 70s, we went through the same thing with the C-124C. It's not listed in the active inventory but low and behold, there sat two in Anchorage flying their merry heads off. Every "Shakey" was high time. They spent most of their lives flying over the water long distance flights. The reason they were still around was that they were the only bird in the inventory that could land on a gravel runway while carrying an eight wheeled emergency fire truck. When one was lost or would run out of time on the Air Frame we would either strip it in place (sinking it into the ocean) or fly the bird down to DM (boneyard), park it right next to the one we wanted, strip all the good stuff from one and transfer it to the one we are taking. We would fly the New? bird out of there. This is why the Boneyard was created. Using it may sound shocking to you but there really isn't any news here.

The AV8B has long since gone out of production. Just for spare parts, when the British retired their AV8As, the Marines bought them for their own boneyard so they would have parts. The parts are no longer in production so you do what you have to do.

All of these examples are to show that Hangar Queens, boneyards and easter egg hunts are as old as flight itself. Right now, the F-18C, F-16A, F-15C, B-52, all the aging birds are using up the resources quickly out of the Boneyards. When that resource has been consumed then all the rest join their ghosts in DM and meet the wrecking ball.

What may be cutting news to you may be old hat to us old timers. Three Aircraft come to mind as being headed the rest of the journey; AV8B, F-18C and A-10C. All three are no longer in production and are hanging on a wing and a prayer. All three's lives have been or are going to be life extended. But you can only do that for so long before they start falling out of the sky. Your "Breaking News" ain't so breaking at all. It's old history.

Dude, you are full of crap. I guarantee you I am far more versed in the history of the Air Force, and the workings thereof, than you ever will be. You are trying to compare an apple to a prime rib dinner. The fact remains that the obama admin has cut back on parts to such an extent that the ENTIRE aviation community is in dire straits. That includes the F-35 which in addition to being shortchanged in the supply logistics chain, is also so far behind its production targets that there was no way for them to get the planes flying when they broke up here.

That is a fact. I don't like it. But it is a fact. Trying to assert hangar queens as "normal" is horse poo. Yes, in a WAR ZONE they are a way of life. Not those CONUS bound you 'tard.

:Boom2::Boom2::Boom2:

It is not true....now.

Dude, you are full of crap. I guarantee you I am far more versed in the history of the Air Force, and the workings thereof, than you ever will be. You are trying to compare an apple to a prime rib dinner. The fact remains that the obama admin has cut back on parts to such an extent that the ENTIRE aviation community is in dire straits. That includes the F-35 which in addition to being shortchanged in the supply logistics chain, is also so far behind its production targets that there was no way for them to get the planes flying when they broke up here.

That is a fact. I don't like it. But it is a fact. Trying to assert hangar queens as "normal" is horse poo. Yes, in a WAR ZONE they are a way of life. Not those CONUS bound you 'tard.

Just how many years do you have in Maintenance Management again? How many years do you have as a Line Chief. How about anything to do with management of the Aircraft themselves. News flash: When those birds hit the tarmac, they cease to be owned by the Crew. Maintenance now owns them and only loans them to the air crew for a few hours each day. Most Pilots don't have a clue what goes on in the background when they don't have the key in the ignition. All they know is that they have a mission to fly and the bird is sitting there configured for it at the right load, airworthy, and ready for them to do a short preflight and get it into the air.

Your denial of "Hangar Queens" is noted. You would know that it's against regulation. But it happens all the time. If if weren't for those Queens, the Tankers would be down for parts that will keep them down for a week or two. There just aren't enough air frames to go around for the amount of flying hours and missions. There never is. But if you sit in on a Chief of Maintanence meeting you will hear it mentioned. Bombers and Tankers always have one Hangar Queen around. It's not Regulation, but it is normal. Everyone from wing down knows it's going on but it's not something that is publically admitted. Just shows how far down the pike you really were.

A Bomber and a Tanker is ALWAYS at war. They operate as if they were at war to prevent war.
  • :Boom2:

Last edited:

It is not true....now.

Just how many years do you have in Maintenance Management again? How many years do you have as a Line Chief. How about anything to do with management of the Aircraft themselves. News flash: When those birds hit the tarmac, they cease to be owned by the Crew. Maintenance now owns them and only loans them to the air crew for a few hours each day. Most Pilots don't have a clue what goes on in the background when they don't have the key in the ignition. All they know is that they have a mission to fly and the bird is sitting there configured for it at the right load, airworthy, and ready for them to do a short preflight and get it into the air.

Your denial of "Hangar Queens" is noted. You would know that it's against regulation. But it happens all the time. If if weren't for those Queens, the Tankers would be down for parts that will keep them down for a week or two. There just aren't enough air frames to go around for the amount of flying hours and missions. There never is. But if you sit in on a Chief of Maintanence meeting you will hear it mentioned. Bombers and Tankers always have one Hangar Queen around. It's not Regulation, but it is normal. Everyone from wing down knows it's going on but it's not something that is publically admitted. Just shows how far down the pike you really were.

A Bomber and a Tanker is ALWAYS at war. They operate as if they were at war to prevent war.

None. And none. And it doesn't matter. You were the worker bee. I knew your boss. And, he was a damned good friend of mine.

Canada Buys New F-18s After Canceling Its Order for the F-35 Canada Buys New F-18s After Canceling Its Order for the F-35

You failed to add the last two words or the end of the complete sentence. "For Now"! Yep, they favor the F-18, "For Now". But, they will be back when the heavy lifting is complete, and it will be completed. Not a bad days work, using an Cruiser to bring down the enemy, thereby saving it's own ammo load for another unsuspecting drone or AC it acquired 125 miles out, flying blind. Not a bad days work at all. And honestly, so what, just think of what the follow on's will be capable of. That is probably the Canadian thinking, We will fly the FA18 in a backup role and allow the F35 ABC use us as it wishes, when it wishes. And perhaps they are waiting for the 2017 Black Friday sale. What ever, it simply does not matter. The "thirty five" rules, over and over and over, just like the Energizer Bunny.

Canada Buys New F-18s After Canceling Its Order for the F-35 Canada Buys New F-18s After Canceling Its Order for the F-35

You failed to add the last two words or the end of the complete sentence. "For Now"! Yep, they favor the F-18, "For Now". But, they will be back when the heavy lifting is complete, and it will be completed. Not a bad days work, using an Cruiser to bring down the enemy, thereby saving it's own ammo load for another unsuspecting drone or AC it acquired 125 miles out, flying blind. Not a bad days work at all. And honestly, so what, just think of what the follow on's will be capable of. That is probably the Canadian thinking, We will fly the FA18 in a backup role and allow the F35 ABC use us as it wishes, when it wishes. And perhaps they are waiting for the 2017 Black Friday sale. What ever, it simply does not matter. The "thirty five" rules, over and over and over, just like the Energizer Bunny.
When failure and cost over run kills it......they will be looking smart........

None. And none. And it doesn't matter. You were the worker bee. I knew your boss. And, he was a damned good friend of mine.

Then you are ill equipped to be making the bold statements you keep making. I can see you are capable of munging song lyrics as well. Since I had many bosses, how about naming just one.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back