F**K Me! How many of you Yanks knew this?

Managed properly, nuclear power is fine. It depends on who's doing the managing. Chernobyl was being run by a govt that had no money and cut corners...it showed...

and there's a guarantee that the quality of management wouldn't change depending on who was running things here?

i keep thinking of "you're doing a heck of a job" brownie at FEMA.
:confused: FEMA has nothing to do with regulation of nuclear power. That's the NRC and DoE.

that was by way of illustration as to how incompetent government can be under certain circumstances.

IMO, a significant portion of the motivation for the invasion of Iraq was to prevent the USD from losing its dominance. And, it was a good idea with respect to the USD to prevent that. Sadly, Rumsfeld messed up, we spent more than we needed on that war because of that, then the homefront was mismanaged. And, now, we have even more mismanagement. I am not surprised and the sad thing is that subsequent mismanagement and inaction elsewhere has ensured that one of those (speculated) motivations for the invasion was in vain, IMHO.

That's the most idiotic explanation I've heard, and I've heard some beauts.
Saddam was in no position to do anything about the dollar. His oil was embargoed and in any case his infrastructure was damaged. He barely had the capacity to sell enough oil to keep his own country afloat.
That's a real boner of an idea.

and there's a guarantee that the quality of management wouldn't change depending on who was running things here?

i keep thinking of "you're doing a heck of a job" brownie at FEMA.
:confused: FEMA has nothing to do with regulation of nuclear power. That's the NRC and DoE.

that was by way of illustration as to how incompetent government can be under certain circumstances.
Actually FEMA did quite a good job after the governor of LA finally let them.

Incompetence was Nagin's navy, the hundreds of buses that could have taken people out, and the state of LA itself.

That's fine in terms of overall economic health. But if people can't afford to pay for gas or pay their oil bills, that could be a mess. Also, if the cost of energy increases at that level, then the cost of goods would increase proportionately, no?

There's increases and then there's increases. Nuclear power I say!

i don't believe in nuclear power until we have a means of disposing of waste.

plus, having seen my neighbor down the hall who hails from chernobyl lose his throat to radiation-caused cancer, i'm not on board with that yet.

Wow, a 'Grump'/'Jilian' thread to prove they are not always in agreement. Shocking it comes today, in light of other threads. :rolleyes:

Jake/Jillian

However, it will allow you to pay off your debt quicker and increase manufacturing due to more exports. People outside of the US will buy its products if the price is right. If I was asked to pay $50 for a Chinese-made item or $50 for the exact same item but manufactured in the US, I'd take the US item due to quality issues.

That's fine in terms of overall economic health. But if people can't afford to pay for gas or pay their oil bills, that could be a mess. Also, if the cost of energy increases at that level, then the cost of goods would increase proportionately, no?

Which is why it's idiotic that we haven't built more refineries.

IMO, a significant portion of the motivation for the invasion of Iraq was to prevent the USD from losing its dominance. And, it was a good idea with respect to the USD to prevent that. Sadly, Rumsfeld messed up, we spent more than we needed on that war because of that, then the homefront was mismanaged. And, now, we have even more mismanagement. I am not surprised and the sad thing is that subsequent mismanagement and inaction elsewhere has ensured that one of those (speculated) motivations for the invasion was in vain, IMHO.

Saddam was in no position to do anything about the dollar. His oil was embargoed and in any case his infrastructure was damaged. He barely had the capacity to sell enough oil to keep his own country afloat.
Lets not forget how he was lining his pockets and sponsoring terrorism with billions via oil for food, while his people starved.

Everyone forgets oil for food.

Jake/Jillian

However, it will allow you to pay off your debt quicker and increase manufacturing due to more exports. People outside of the US will buy its products if the price is right. If I was asked to pay $50 for a Chinese-made item or $50 for the exact same item but manufactured in the US, I'd take the US item due to quality issues.

Which is why it's idiotic that we haven't built more refineries.

Except that we've increased capacity at existing refineries. I havent checked but I suspect we are refining more oil now than we were 20 years ago.

puleeze... this isn't the thread for that conversation.... but it's revisionist history.

Calling BS when it's laid on thick:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-flame-zone/90487-men-who-dont-rock-usmb-4.html#post1587991

what on earth are you talking about. I was responding to MM.

Get over yourself.

you're sounding nuts tonight.

Right. You are sounding nuts for defending a misogynist, but doesn't trouble you a tad, as long as not directed at you.

the hundreds of buses that could have taken people out,

Without wanting to flog a dead horse, or derail the thread, I thought the same thing, until somebody in NO pointed out there were not enough bus drivers available or around to drive them...
That makes a difference somehow?

Oh, right. Let's make sure we have buses for these emergencies, but let's not bother to staff them for emergencies. Very competent.

Wow, a 'Grump'/'Jilian' thread to prove they are not always in agreement. Shocking it comes today, in light of other threads. :rolleyes:

1) It's hardly a disagreement.
2) Yeah, I'm gonna start a whole new thread to prove something to YOU on a subject? :cuckoo:
3) If I really wanted to do number two, I'd have started an Israel thread...if you want to see real disagreement, then I'd have started there.
4) This thread didn't start out about nuclear power
5) You are still a fruit loop....

There's increases and then there's increases. Nuclear power I say!

i don't believe in nuclear power until we have a means of disposing of waste.

plus, having seen my neighbor down the hall who hails from chernobyl lose his throat to radiation-caused cancer, i'm not on board with that yet.

are you really so deluded as to think that we agree 100% on everything?

And if you read my posts in this thread, you know, after actually removing your head from your butt... you'll see that I'm asking far more questions than I am offering opinions.

I don't know what the answers are. And I don't pretend to.

You should try that sometime....

Irrespective of your ad hominems, Hussein certainlyhad full intentions of moving from the USD. Yes, he was embargoed, but we all know how well that worked. And, as one of the major oil reserve nations in the area, his influence in the Middle Eastern oil market was nothing to sneeze at even post-First Iraq war.

Again, I remind you that I am making no claim that this USD issue was a primary reason for invasion. I am saying it was a significant consideration, though.

the hundreds of buses that could have taken people out,

Without wanting to flog a dead horse, or derail the thread, I thought the same thing, until somebody in NO pointed out there were not enough bus drivers available or around to drive them...

Oh, right. Let's make sure we have buses for these emergencies, but let's not bother to staff them for emergencies. Very competent.

I thought NO had a preparatory drill within 18 months of Katrina. That should certainly have brought up questions about bus drivers and the like.
But it's OT.

You still have to have drviers to drive them. And those buses were only for emergencies? I thought they were school buses..

That aside, you won't get me agreeing with Nagin...the guy was an ijit...a political animal iwth little or no compassion it seems

And, I hope all note that China does not use the USD in oil trade. China has also used the last decade or so to establish itself as a major oil trading partner in Africa.

And, is it any wonder that the UN has turned an inexcusable blind eye to human rights issues in Darfur, Somalia, etc?

The UN is such a feckless tool but a destructive feckless tool at that.

I thought NO had a preparatory drill within 18 months of Katrina. That should certainly have brought up questions about bus drivers and the like.
But it's OT.
There were years of questions about bus drivers, and all emergency procedures. No one in state government leadership listened or cared until the disaster was something to demagogue. Then it was excuse making, blame shifting and finger pointing instead of answers.

It's why Blanco isn't the governor anymore.

Forum List

Back