F-35 Makes Paris Airshow Debut and Is Talk of the Airshow

Unmanned fighter drones will be the jet fighter of the future.

No worry about G forces, as drone fighters will be able to turn tighter at higher speeds than any piloted aircraft.

Plus the weight saving will be substantial. No oxygen system, no ejection seat, and no cockpit or glass canopy. Which means the plane can carry more fuel and weapons. And with no human at the controls, the aircraft can stay in the air much longer. .... :cool:

I don't get it, what's the point of the "Paris Air Show"? Is it about entertainment or does the U.S. feel the need to show off it's technological superiority in an unstable arena of spies and jihadists? Or is it about the ait industry recruiting potential customers?

The Paris Airshow is nothing more than a Trade Show. The better you do there the more you get the contracts. Simple as that.

Seems to me like fighter drones flown from remote locations would be in the near future. Humans can only take so much G force.

Make sure your data link can't be jammed and is in real time. No delay from remote locations. And your drone "pilots" maintain perfect SA as they enter the fight. What could go wrong?

Not knocking your idea but there are a lot of things to solve before Skippy starts playing war games.
The USAF is moving toward more drones, but there remain situations requiring human pilots. In many ways it's the same argument between manned and unmanned space exploration.

Seems to me like fighter drones flown from remote locations would be in the near future. Humans can only take so much G force.

Make sure your data link can't be jammed and is in real time. No delay from remote locations. And your drone "pilots" maintain perfect SA as they enter the fight. What could go wrong?

Not knocking your idea but there are a lot of things to solve before Skippy starts playing war games.
The USAF is moving toward more drones, but there remain situations requiring human pilots. In many ways it's the same argument between manned and unmanned space exploration.
And I haven't heard a good argument for manned space missions other than the gee whiz factor. Robotics can send anything a man can see or experience and then some by a lot.

And I haven't heard a good argument for manned space missions other than the gee whiz factor. Robotics can send anything a man can see or experience and then some by a lot.
The human race is one massive plague, one large rock or one supervolcano away from extinction. Colonizing space or other worlds increases our chances of survival as a species. In order to do this, we must learn how to allow humans to live in both space and hostile environments like Mars.

The human race is one massive plague, one large rock or one supervolcano away from extinction. Colonizing space or other worlds increases our chances of survival as a species. In order to do this, we must learn how to allow humans to live in both space and hostile environments like Mars.
We already know what is needed for survival wherever. But that's a different issue than search and learn.

Robotics aren't currently as adaptable as humans are on a space mission. Someday they might be, but today they are not.

Robotics aren't currently as adaptable as humans are on a space mission. Someday they might be, but today they are not.
I'm talking about Mars or beyond, not the current space station. What can a human do out there that robotics can't? Look for a repair shop?

A human can adapt to situations that a robot cannot. As a toy example, say an instrument for an experiment broke due to whatever defect, today a human might duct tape it or use something else that is shaped similarly while a robot would be stuck. This will probably change someday but we aren't there yet, despite all the advances in AI and machine learning robotics doesn't offer the level of adaptability that humans can.

Forum List

Back