Exposing the truth about conspiracies

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
'If the moon landings were fake, the truth would have been exposed within 4 years': Physicist formulates how long conspiracy theories could realistically remain a secret

• A physicist calculated how many people would have potentially worked on popular theories, from the moon landings to climate change
  • He then formulated how likely it would be that the secrets would be kept
  • Moon landings would have been exposed in three years and eight months
  • For a plot to last five years, it would need to involve just 2,521
From the moon landings being an elaborate hoax, to climate change deniers, there are many conspiracy theories that are believed by a large number of people worldwide.
But the amount of people who would have been involved in keeping such large-scale secrets suggests that if they were true, they would have been exposed by someone by now.
With this in mind, a physicist has calculated how many people would have potentially worked on some of the most popular theories, and what is the likelihood of them all keeping a secret.

Using this model, the truth about the moon landings being a hoax would have been exposed in three years and eight months.

A climate change fraud would have been uncovered in three years nine months, a vaccination conspiracy would take three years and two months to be revealed, and a suppressed cancer cure would come to light after three years and three months.

3099421500000578-3417640-image-a-53_1453825583742.jpg

So why are these nutter stories so successful?

To a great extent, I suspect its because some people are basically sheep who walk upright.

Something interesting I just heard is that the reason for the huge difference between the grainy images we saw while glued to our TVs and the beautiful crisp, clear photos we see now is ...

We didn't have the technology to broadcast directly from the moon to our living rooms. TV techs literally held cameras up to the images being sent from the moon and then broadcast that to TVs.

We were actually seeing a video of a video.

Kinda cool, huh? I love that these people had to find ways to jury-rig equipment to accomplish what they wanted. That was the biggest story in the history of human-kind and surely, there was never a question of whether or not it should be broadcast. So, they found a way. I really like that. I also think that's the kind of creative thinking that leads to new inventions.

When I got my first digital camera and wanted to be able to email old print photos, I put the prints on the desk and photographed them with the digital. And, they actually looked pretty good.

Something interesting I just heard is that the reason for the huge difference between the grainy images we saw while glued to our TVs and the beautiful crisp, clear photos we see now is ...

We didn't have the technology to broadcast directly from the moon to our living rooms. TV techs literally held cameras up to the images being sent from the moon and then broadcast that to TVs.

We were actually seeing a video of a video.

Kinda cool, huh? I love that these people had to find ways to jury-rig equipment to accomplish what they wanted. That was the biggest story in the history of human-kind and surely, there was never a question of whether or not it should be broadcast. So, they found a way. I really like that. I also think that's the kind of creative thinking that leads to new inventions.

When I got my first digital camera and wanted to be able to email old print photos, I put the prints on the desk and photographed them with the digital. And, they actually looked pretty good.

That is as old as TV itself. When you do this, it's called Kaleidoscope. The early TV, they put a camera in front of a monitor and rebroadcast live. You will notice there is a slight green tint to the old TV shows. Just remember, TV wasn't that old. Maybe 15 years. .

'If the moon landings were fake, the truth would have been exposed within 4 years': Physicist formulates how long conspiracy theories could realistically remain a secret

• A physicist calculated how many people would have potentially worked on popular theories, from the moon landings to climate change
  • He then formulated how likely it would be that the secrets would be kept
  • Moon landings would have been exposed in three years and eight months
  • For a plot to last five years, it would need to involve just 2,521

Now, do you take all this uncritticaly at face value?

Because there is a lot wrong with his calculations.

Forum List

Back