I See Rosary Beads - Oye, Ese..What Gang Are You In?

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
WENATCHEE, Wash. -- A ban on wearing rosary beads at one north-central Washington school district has sparked debate among students, school administrators and members of the clergy.

The Lake Chelan School District, about 40 miles north of Wenatchee in the community of Chelan, banned rosary beads Monday after a training session with a police officer.

Wenatchee police Officer Gary Geiger told school officials that rosary beads worn around the neck can be a sign of gang activity, particularly among Latinos. The principal at Lake Chelan High School, Tim Berndt, asked a handful of students to remove the beads or tuck them into their shirts the next day.

One student complied, Berndt said, but two others refused and were threatened with a 10-day suspension.

"I could tell these kids weren't gang members, but I had to draw the line the same," he said. "I can't say yours are OK, but his are gang-related."

The school may have been too hasty in the way it implemented the ban, though students could put themselves in danger if they are mistakenly identified as gang members, said the Rev. Dan Dufner at St. Francis Catholic Church in Chelan, who received calls about the issue.

But the Rev. Francisco Higuera at Holy Apostles Catholic Church in East Wenatchee said members of the Hispanic community often wear rosary beads around their necks.

"I'm very proud of the family who has done that, for standing up for their faith," he said in a telephone interview with The Wenatchee World on Wednesday. "This is a religious issue, and everybody has the right to live their religion."

Berndt met with one of the mothers of the two students who refused to comply with his order Tuesday, and the students removed the beads and returned to class.

School Superintendent Jim Busey said what started as a disagreement over a new dress policy became an issue of insubordination when the students refused to comply. But he also said the district should have made more effort to communicate the new rules to parents and students before enforcing them.

Busey said his primary concern is student safety, but he said he also understands that wearing the beads is an important expression of faith.

"I think we're going to get it resolved," he said.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420AP_WA_Rosary_Debate.html

That's stupid, let the kids wear their monk beads if they want.

What do you guys think of student uniforms? Coat and tie? I'm for them.

Hagbard Celine said:
That's stupid, let the kids wear their monk beads if they want.

What do you guys think of student uniforms? Coat and tie? I'm for them.

I'm for a dress code, but not coat and tie.

In a public school, one has as much right to wear a rosary, which in itself is wrong, as a Muslim girl has to wearing a hajib.

GotZoom said:
Wenatchee police Officer Gary Geiger told school officials that rosary beads worn around the neck can be a sign of gang activity, particularly among Latinos.

I think you could prob. do a very good job of telling gang members apart from everybody else...how about looking for Mara Salvatrucha tattoos or marijuana-leaf necklaces? Couldn't they test for opiates in the whizz? I'm really confused on this one. :confused: :confused:

GotZoom said:
Wenatchee police Officer Gary Geiger told school officials that rosary beads worn around the neck can be a sign of gang activity, particularly among Latinos.

Latinos sure do ennoble Catholicism, let me tell you. Ave Maria!

Kathianne said:
In a public school, one has as much right to wear a rosary, which in itself is wrong, as a Muslim girl has to wearing a hajib.

Kathianne, you'll have to explain this one to me. Why is it wrong to wear a rosary in a public school?

Kathianne, you'll have to explain this one to me. Why is it wrong to wear a rosary in a public school?

It is against catholic doctrine to wear the Rosary.

gop_jeff said:
Really? I had no idea. I am now smarter for having read this thread. :thup:

Deaddude is correct. The rosary is not jewelry nor decorative. It's for contemplation/prayer.

Kathianne said:
Deaddude is correct. The rosary is not jewelry nor decorative. It's for contemplation/prayer.

I didn't know it was disrespectful to wear rosary beads, as I have a gold rosary necklace that was blessed and given to me.

Bonnie said:
I didn't know it was disrespectful to wear rosary beads, as I have a gold rosary necklace that was blessed and given to me.
It's the reason for scapulares and 'Saints/Mary' medals. The rosary is an object to contemplate on while in prayer.

gop_jeff said:

It's not that it's wrong as far as the public school is concerned. But Rosary's aren't meant to be worn even though they look like they are.

Bonnie said:

So you're wearing a BLESSED ROSARY?!?!?

You're definitely going to hell then

Powerman said:
So you're wearing a BLESSED ROSARY?!?!?

You're definitely going to hell then

Well hope to God I don't but If I were it would be for many things other than wearing a rosary necklace... :smoke:

Forum List

Back