Explaining the Election

Liberals are elitist eggheads.
Liberals are idiotic morons.

Make up your mind.

What makes you think they are mutually exclusive???

1. “I would rather be governed by the first 2000 people in the Manhattan phone book than the entire faculty of Harvard.”
― William F. Buckley Jr.

2. “Some ideas are so stupid, only an intellectual could believe them.”
George Orwell

The results of the election wasn't about "education level" or how well informed the public was about the election. Those that voted for Obama only cared about the bottom line "what's in it for me", "What can I get from the government", "let someone else pay for it". Our perception of the role of government has changed, and there is a vast group out there who would much rather dump all their problems at the feet of the Federal Government than have to tackle the issues themselves. Again . . . . liberals tend to support a bigger form of government where they reliquish control of many issues to someone else, while conservatives believe that government is most CERTAINLY the problem for the state of our country. The very notion that government can do it cheaper and better, where entitlements take up a growing majority of our nations budget, all while the federal deficit rolls completely out of control, should be the concern for anyone who wants to see real results in solving this nations debt issues.

.... all while the federal deficit rolls completely out of control, should be the concern for anyone who wants to see real results in solving this nations debt issues.

You're assuming anyone trusts the GOP to reign in the debt any more than they trust the DNC to do it. I know I certainly don't.

I see the debt as one of the biggest issues facing the nation, but when one side is running on increased entitlements and the other is running on increased military spending and decreased taxes, then nobody has any credibility on the issue.

It really doesn't help that the last Republican President expanded entitlements and expanded military spending and the debt while cutting taxes. Or that the GOP poster boy, President Reagan, ran up the debt to stratospheric levels.

At this point, no one, no one, has any credibility on the debt issue.

Once that's off the table, the only remaining issue in November was:

Do you vote for a party that is in favor of greater expansion into your personal life (the GOP) or for the party that is for greater expansion into the economy (the DNC)?

Given how badly the stock market got screwed up under the decreased regulation, is it any wonder folks choose increased Federal involvement in the economy?

Of course, even this is oversimplifying things. My honest opinion is that nothing really changed in 2012. The House is still Republican, the Senate is Democratic, and Obama got reelected. So the ultimate message from the voters was in all actuality "We don't want change."

Liberals are elitist eggheads.
Liberals are idiotic morons.

Make up your mind.

What makes you think they are mutually exclusive???

1. “I would rather be governed by the first 2000 people in the Manhattan phone book than the entire faculty of Harvard.”
― William F. Buckley Jr.

2. “Some ideas are so stupid, only an intellectual could believe them.”
George Orwell

The results of the election wasn't about "education level" or how well informed the public was about the election. Those that voted for Obama only cared about the bottom line "what's in it for me", "What can I get from the government", "let someone else pay for it". Our perception of the role of government has changed, and there is a vast group out there who would much rather dump all their problems at the feet of the Federal Government than have to tackle the issues themselves. Again . . . . liberals tend to support a bigger form of government where they reliquish control of many issues to someone else, while conservatives believe that government is most CERTAINLY the problem for the state of our country. The very notion that government can do it cheaper and better, where entitlements take up a growing majority of our nations budget, all while the federal deficit rolls completely out of control, should be the concern for anyone who wants to see real results in solving this nations debt issues.

"Those that voted for Obama only cared about the bottom line "what's in it for me", "What can I get from the government", "let someone else pay for it".

Not so sure of that.

Bet there was some of it...but that assumes that there are lots of folks who need stuff. That the Left's propaganda.

I actually believe that this thread illuminates a major reason for the vote: the Pod People are unable to construct a good explanation of their support for the Pod Party, so, like the children that they are, rather than engage in a debate in the marketplace of ideas, they show their petulance, their resentment, and say 'oh, yeah...watch this: I'll go ahead and vote for all the same problems again! Nah nah na nah na...."

You can see it in the Pod-responses.
None address the OP's specifics.

“I would rather be governed by the first 2000 people in the Manhattan phone book than the entire faculty of Harvard.”
― William F. Buckley Jr.
>
Buckley attended Yale, perhaps it was his preference for his own school.
BTW, He wrote an opinion piece defending white supremacy in the South.

Last edited:
.... all while the federal deficit rolls completely out of control, should be the concern for anyone who wants to see real results in solving this nations debt issues.

You're assuming anyone trusts the GOP to reign in the debt any more than they trust the DNC to do it. I know I certainly don't.

I see the debt as one of the biggest issues facing the nation, but when one side is running on increased entitlements and the other is running on increased military spending and decreased taxes, then nobody has any credibility on the issue.

It really doesn't help that the last Republican President expanded entitlements and expanded military spending and the debt while cutting taxes. Or that the GOP poster boy, President Reagan, ran up the debt to stratospheric levels.

At this point, no one, no one, has any credibility on the debt issue.

Once that's off the table, the only remaining issue in November was:

Do you vote for a party that is in favor of greater expansion into your personal life (the GOP) or for the party that is for greater expansion into the economy (the DNC)?

Given how badly the stock market got screwed up under the decreased regulation, is it any wonder folks choose increased Federal involvement in the economy?

Of course, even this is oversimplifying things. My honest opinion is that nothing really changed in 2012. The House is still Republican, the Senate is Democratic, and Obama got reelected. So the ultimate message from the voters was in all actuality "We don't want change."

The only way to tackle the debt issue is to drastically reduce the size and our nation's reliance upon the Federal Government. Raising taxes alone will not solve the problem, California is on the brink suffering from the largest debt in the nation (along with the biggest tax rates of any state in the nation) and Greece unable to give up on their entitlement "give me(s)" are two examples of that. Now with the passage of Obamacare, the Federal Government has expanded even closer to the point towards unsustainability. To simply raise taxes, as Obama and leftist Democrats on MSNBC argue, is the equivalent to simply opening up a tab for known an alcoholic who's unable to face his rather obvious problem. Republicans and Democrats need to come together and look to drastically tackle their need of a bigger role of government and wasteful spending problem. Eliminate Obama's over 30 czars completely, stop catering to special interest groups..... if both parties can't seriously address the issue of an expansive government, no amount of taxes will ever bring enough revenue to avert this nation from another fiscal disaster. We will soon see just how serious both parties are, or if it's just more "I won you lost" games, political spin, and band-aids.

Last edited:
Raising taxes alone will not solve the problem....

No, it will not. But we're so far in the hole that at this point it WILL have to be part of the solution. Fixing the deficit will require spending cuts to entitlements, defense, and discretionary spending coupled with tax increases and exemption elimination. Any solution that involves just cuts, or just taxes, is partisan bullshit. It will only work if you implement all available tools.

Forum List

Back