PCIP Pre-existing Insurance Coverage Plan Changes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by depotoo, Nov 19, 2012.

1. depotoo

depotoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,544
    From regulations.gov, due to the lack of funding, the definition of who is eligible has been changed for those in Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, they will not be eligible, nor will they be able to receive tax credits.
    Though I guess they can still enroll for healthcare coverage, just not have pre-existing conditions covered.
    Oh, and due to lack of funds.
    Oh, wait, maybe they aren't eligible at all?
    oh wait, but maybe they can be under Medicaid and CHIP -
    Regulations.gov
    Confused yet? Seems to me they can be eligible, but not through the affordable care act. I guess they are living up to the exact words, but found away around it, even though I knew they already had when they actually stated illegal aliens would not be eligible as the alredy allow them under Medicaid & CHIP.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  2. depotoo

depotoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,544
    Now i wonder, why can they find the funds under the 2 other programs but not under the affordable care act, according to them?

3. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    What exactly is the confusion? HHS clarified that just because the administration is exercising prosecutorial discretion and not deporting young people who were brought into the country illegally as children, that does not make them eligible for publicly financed health benefits (including Medicaid, CHIP, and the PCIPs). To be extra crystal clear and avoid any confusion about that, they tweaked their original definition of what it means to be "lawfully present" in the U.S. (one criterion for accessing PCIP benefits) to make it clear this doesn't apply to these kids.

It doesn't have anything to do with funding, it has to do with them not being legally eligible to participate. This isn't rocket science.

4. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,045
    Research: Medical Bills Leading Cause of Bankruptcy

"Most people who are driven into bankruptcy by illness and medical bills actually have coverage, but it's such inadequate coverage that it doesn't keep them from financial ruin. They're facing huge premiums and copayments and deductibles - and things that aren't covered by their insurance."

---------------------

Health Care companies are only middle men, or as Republicans like to call them, "Private sector". They only exist to skim money off policies. Obamacare limits what they can skim. No wonder they want it stopped.

5. depotoo

depotoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,544
    I guess you didn't read my link did you? And secondly, what happens to these individuals, if they do have pre-existing conditions and need urgent treatment, if, according to you, which I disagree that is does not eliminate them from medicaid or CHIP, they are not covered? Do they get turned away from hospitals then as well? And if not, who picks up that tab?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  6. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,777
    S U C K E R S.. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

7. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    Apparently significantly more carefully than you bothered to.

If you're asking if EMTALA has been repealed, obviously it has not. What's been clarified here is that the DREAMer kids are not eligible for the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plans because they don't meet the definition of "lawfully residing," despite Homeland Security's decision not to deport them. That's it. Period. That's what the regulations you posted say, that's what they mean, and that's all they do.

As to whether they're eligible for Medicaid/CHIP, there's no debate here, the answer is obviously no: http://www.medicaid.gov/Federal-Policy-Guidance/downloads/SHO-12-002.pdf

8. depotoo

depotoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,544
    see red

9. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    I don't know what your point is. The PCIPs are a time-limited program with a set amount of funding. They were given $5 billion total to use and they only exist through the end of next year.

That doesn't have anything to do with the policy being discussed here which, for the third time, clarifies that DREAMERer kids aren't eligible to enroll in the high-risk pools; the authors bring what you quoted up to explain why the rule is taking effect before, not after, the comment period (i.e. it was released as an interim final rule). You're quoting from a section that's purely about the process by which the rule was released, not the policy contained in the rule.