Explaining austerity to liberals:

Discussion in 'Economy' started by EdwardBaiamonte, Jan 18, 2012.

1. EdwardBaiamonte

EdwardBaiamonte Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,067
    The real choice is austerity now or austerity later. But, the sooner you do it the less austerity required. The longer hooked on heroin you are the harder the rehabilatation.

Yes, another hit of heroin makes you feel that you're not really hooked, but in reality it just makes you more hooked and in need of harsher rehabilitation.

2. DSGE

DSGE VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I don't see any explanation anywhere...
    I see a parallel being drawn between debt and heroin with absolutely no justification. Maybe I should start a thread where the only content is: "Debt is like exercise. The more you do it the longer you'll live. Don't do it at all and you'll die young and obese. And it's all too easy to stop exercising."

Do you see that argument by analogy is fallacious? How about a post with some actual substance. Maybe throw an actual argument in there?

3. EdwardBaiamonte

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,067
    so whats the substantial difference between a liberal government hooked on spending and a junkie hooked on heroin??

4. DSGE

DSGE VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30
    What's the substantial difference between a liberal government hooked on spending and physical exercise? You see? Argument from analogy is garbage. You have to demonstrate that a one-to-one map exists between debt and heroin. But why bother doing that? Why not just argue against debt straight up? You could actually make a reasonable argument against high levels of debt or high deficits; instead you lazily constructed a false analogy. So try again.

5. samjones

samjones Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I thought the saying was "debt is like a box of chocolates."

6. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    While the analogy is somewhat disingenuous, the truth is that the core of the OP is right. We either bite the bullet now or later. The bullet will not go away. Since I am a believer in personal responsibility, I think we should do it now and get it over with for the next generation.

I guess the question is, do we love our children (I don't have any) and this country enough to take the hard road ourselves?

7. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,441
    i'm kind of wondering why the middle class should deal with "austerity" while taxes are cut for the people who can most afford to pay them.

and the o/p isn't "somewhat disingenuous".

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. EdwardBaiamonte

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,067
    Hooked implies addicted, obsessed, habitual and destructive while physical exercise implies none of that so is 100% different. See what happens when a liberal tries to think? Sorry

You are trying to change the subject because you know if you enter the debate, as a liberal, you will be crushed.

9. EdwardBaiamonte

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,067
    Leave it to a brainwashed liberal to turn everything into violent class warfare. The top 1% pay 40 % of all Federal income taxes which is way too much already. You cant afford to have them pay more because they are the ones who create recession ending new jobs. New jobs don't come from the Girl Scouts

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,441
    the only one here who is brainwashed is you.

i have every right to ask why the government ran two wars on our credit card... for which it now wants to lay the bill on the middle class...while cutting taxes for their cronies. (which tax cut was only supposed to be temporaray, btw).

if they're so busy creating jobs, why did they crash the economy?

nutter.