ex-WCW Wrestling star La Parka dies at 54 after horrific fall during a match

"there's a time in the afternoon before a big wrestling event when the arena starts to empty out. the TV crews have set up their gear. the wrestlers have gotten a look at the ring, and have now taken off to rest before the big show. that's a time I love. i sit in the seats, maybe near ringside, maybe farther up, and stare at the ropes.

my mind moves down to the ring. i visualize myself moving, flying through the arena. I start with a moonsault, then a flip that turns to a spin. the move then turns into something different, something impossible to describe except with my body, something no one, not even me, has seen before.

i imagine things my body isnt capable of. its still trying to catch up.

wrestling is a constant challenge. you push your body every night. it hurts beyond words. but the mind wants to soar, and the body must follow.

i love it!" - La Parka, 1996

"Distance wise, Tijuana & San Diego are very close. But the border can add a lot of time to the commute. it wasnt bad in the morning: my dad would leave SD at 5:30, cross the border, get to work at 6AM. Coming home was a different story....

he'd leave work around 4 PM, but with traffic couldn't get home until 6:30. he'd get home, and soon have to go to bed so he could get up first thing in the morning. that was just one of the sacrifices my parents made for us. its the story of all immigrants: to work hard for the next generation" - La Parka, talking about his dad

"i remember my uncle standing on the outside of the ring as another wrestler pushed the ropes open. I'd run and dive between the first and 2nd ropes, landing in my uncle's arms. i was sure he'd catch me, and he always did" - La Parka remembers his formative years

Forum List

Back