Evolution and Science

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
It is hard sometimes to understand the modern arguments against science, whether it be global warming, genetics, neuroscience, evolution, and so on. Very often the argument is partisan rather than about the science. Imagine explaining a round world to a primitive person, or what gravity is and how it works, or that light travels faster than sound, or that the star you see is light years away. What reaction would you get, and how if this were a really curious (scientific) person could you demonstrate the concept? Which brings me to that curious person whose ideas are not based on partisan influence. Too much information in America today is anti science, time we turned off the TV and even the computer.

First check out Richard Dawkins' "The Oxford Book of Modern Science Writing' as a fascinating and eclectic start, then Carl Sagan's writings, Martin Gardner too, and if you are doubtful evolution is fact, check the books noted below.

"I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time-when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

The dumbing down of America is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance. As I write, the number-one videocassette rental in America is the movie Dumb and Dumber. "Beavis and Butt head" remain popular (and influential) with young TV viewers. The plain lesson is that study and learning-not just of science, but of anything-are avoidable, even undesirable." Carl Sagan 'The Demon-Haunted World'

On evolution.

"Tom Nagel undertakes in his slender 128 page book to show that "the materialist Neo-Darwinian conception of nature is almost certainly false," and yet in those pages, there is not a single chapter, a single paragraph, a single sentence, indeed not a single word about all of this extraordinary science. On the face of it, that just cannot be right. Surely one cannot engage with the "Neo-Darwinian conception of nature" without so much as relating a single bit of its substance."

The Philosopher's Stone: WHAT HAVE I BEEN READING
The Philosopher's Stone: READING SUGGESTIONS

'My comments on Nagel prompted a request from Larry K. for some of my sister's reading recommendations. She gave me four titles:'

Sean B. Carroll 'The Making of the Fittest: DNA and the Ultimate Forensic Record of Evolution'
Sean B. Carroll 'Endless Forms Most Beautiful: The New Science of Evo Devo'
Eva Jablonka and Marion Lamb 'Evolution in Four Dimensions: Genetic, Epigenetic, Behavioral, and Symbolic Variation in the History of Life'
Marc Kirschner and John Gerhart 'The Plausibility of Life: Resolving Darwin's Dilemma'

Martin Gardner's "The Night Is Large: Collected Essays, 1938-1995" excellent, excellent book.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHbYJfwFgOU]Bill Nye: Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children - YouTube[/ame]

"When thinking changes your mind, that's philosophy.
When God changes your mind, that's faith.
When facts change your mind, that's science." from edge.org

Manmade Global Warming has nothing in common with science and evolution as gamma rays bombarding DNA and making it better makes as much sense as an asteroid hitting a ranch style home and changing it into a Tudor

Last edited:
It is hard sometimes to understand the modern arguments against science, whether it be global warming, genetics, neuroscience, evolution, and so on. Very often the argument is partisan rather than about the science. Imagine explaining a round world to a primitive person, or what gravity is and how it works, or that light travels faster than sound, or that the star you see is light years away. What reaction would you get, and how if this were a really curious (scientific) person could you demonstrate the concept? Which brings me to that curious person whose ideas are not based on partisan influence. Too much information in America today is anti science, time we turned off the TV and even the computer.

First check out Richard Dawkins' "The Oxford Book of Modern Science Writing' as a fascinating and eclectic start, then Carl Sagan's writings, Martin Gardner too, and if you are doubtful evolution is fact, check the books noted below.

"I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time-when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

The dumbing down of America is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance. As I write, the number-one videocassette rental in America is the movie Dumb and Dumber. "Beavis and Butt head" remain popular (and influential) with young TV viewers. The plain lesson is that study and learning-not just of science, but of anything-are avoidable, even undesirable." Carl Sagan 'The Demon-Haunted World'

On evolution.

"Tom Nagel undertakes in his slender 128 page book to show that "the materialist Neo-Darwinian conception of nature is almost certainly false," and yet in those pages, there is not a single chapter, a single paragraph, a single sentence, indeed not a single word about all of this extraordinary science. On the face of it, that just cannot be right. Surely one cannot engage with the "Neo-Darwinian conception of nature" without so much as relating a single bit of its substance."

The Philosopher's Stone: WHAT HAVE I BEEN READING
The Philosopher's Stone: READING SUGGESTIONS

'My comments on Nagel prompted a request from Larry K. for some of my sister's reading recommendations. She gave me four titles:'

Sean B. Carroll 'The Making of the Fittest: DNA and the Ultimate Forensic Record of Evolution'
Sean B. Carroll 'Endless Forms Most Beautiful: The New Science of Evo Devo'
Eva Jablonka and Marion Lamb 'Evolution in Four Dimensions: Genetic, Epigenetic, Behavioral, and Symbolic Variation in the History of Life'
Marc Kirschner and John Gerhart 'The Plausibility of Life: Resolving Darwin's Dilemma'

Martin Gardner's "The Night Is Large: Collected Essays, 1938-1995" excellent, excellent book.

Bill Nye: Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children - YouTube

"When thinking changes your mind, that's philosophy.
When God changes your mind, that's faith.
When facts change your mind, that's science." from edge.org

One of these days people that don't understand science will stop opening their mouths about it.

Until that happens, I will have to pout up with midcan saying stupid things.

I guess you guys read the books noted above on evolution over the weekend. Of course you didn't, ignorance of science today is as American as apple pie, it is the reason our technology is made in other countries and even China has a more advanced rail system. Odd that communists now make your technology toys and even advanced tools.

I guess you guys read the books noted above on evolution over the weekend. Of course you didn't, ignorance of science today is as American as apple pie, it is the reason our technology is made in other countries and even China has a more advanced rail system. Odd that communists now make your technology toys and even advanced tools.

I read much more comprehensive books about evolution in my lifetime, why shooed I go out and read a rant by Kant simply because you just stumbled over it?

The intellectual pretensions of the left is one of the funniest things on this site.

Manmade Global Warming has nothing in common with science and evolution as gamma rays bombarding DNA and making it better makes as much sense as an asteroid hitting a ranch style home and changing it into a Tudor

In the global warming debate I'm always embarrassed to be on the same side as nut burgers who believe a gaseous vertebrate with a penis create all life with the snap of his fingers.

We have watched evolution occur under the microscope, we have witnessed evolution in mankind, and shown evidence that birds and dinosaurs are related, that the fluids in our veins and those that flow in trees are only a single element apart, and the the same DNA remnants can be found in all mammals yet people continue to doubt that God is smart enough to allow evolution to create the changes that we call evolution.

The non-believers require that God sat down and made every diversion of plant and animal because that is the only way it works in their small minds.

I feel sorry for them.

We have watched evolution occur under the microscope, we have witnessed evolution in mankind, and shown evidence that birds and dinosaurs are related, that the fluids in our veins and those that flow in trees are only a single element apart, and the the same DNA remnants can be found in all mammals yet people continue to doubt that God is smart enough to allow evolution to create the changes that we call evolution.

The non-believers require that God sat down and made every diversion of plant and animal because that is the only way it works in their small minds.

I feel sorry for them.

Ah, but what a sense of power. To be able to tell God exactly how he created, without ever even examining said creation.

I read much more comprehensive books about evolution in my lifetime, why shooed I go out and read a rant by Kant simply because you just stumbled over it?

LOL. And we can certainly tell that by your posts. Hell, you must be all of two steps ahead of Frankie Boy in intellectual development.

I have been meaning to read On the Origin of Species again. I read this book for the first time when I was in the high school. At that time, I read it in a hurry as a curricular necessity. I want to read it again because I still remember how interesting that entire book was.

Fascinating piece on the Galapagos Islands. Below are parts 6 and 7, it is on the Science channel this week.

/

Last edited by a moderator:

LOL. And we can certainly tell that by your posts. Hell, you must be all of two steps ahead of Frankie Boy in intellectual development.

As I recall, the last time we got into a discussion about evolution you ended up running away with your tail between your legs after you found out I actually know what I am talking about. Did you forget that already?

It is hard sometimes to understand the modern arguments against science, ...

Are arguments against specific theories and conclusions "arguments against science" or are they scientific arguments?

By what seems to be your standard, most scientists throughout history have been "against science" at one point or in one way or another.

Are arguments against specific theories and conclusions "arguments against science" or are they scientific arguments?

By what seems to be your standard, most scientists throughout history have been "against science" at one point or in one way or another.

Scientific arguements use science, not pseudo-science.

As I recall, the last time we got into a discussion about evolution you ended up running away with your tail between your legs after you found out I actually know what I am talking about. Did you forget that already?

Cannot forget what never happened.

Scientific arguements use science, not pseudo-science.

See previous comments.

Forum List

Back