Evil Republicans limit public union collective bargaining rights again!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by del, Apr 27, 2011.

1. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    oh, wait. it was evil democrats in massachusetts.

sorry for the misunderstanding

State House votes to limit union bargaining rights - BostonHerald.com

the house is composed of 128 D and 31 R.

i guess the recall effort will start any minute now. :rofl:

"The Massachusetts House voted Tuesday to dramatically strengthen the power of city and town leaders to change health insurance plans for municipal employees over the objections of unions.

The 111-42 vote late Tuesday came after House leaders agreed to modify their original plan in the hopes of heading off labor opposition."

• Thank You! Thank You! x 7
  2. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,542
    I'm curious to see how those of you who were breathing fire over the Republicans doing this in Wisconsin and Ohio will now react to the Democrats doing exactly the same thing in Massachusetts.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    States can't just 'lift' their debt ceilings. Won't matter which party controls, the wave is coming in and the states need to prepare:

NationalJournal.com - States Face $1.26 Trillion in Retiree Benefit Shortfalls - Tuesday, April 26, 2011

4. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    It aint a done deal yet.

I bet some dems will be losing their next election

5. thereisnospoon

thereisnospoon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,414
    Not in Mass. Dems have controlled that state forever.
    The bottom line is this is the end of the road for taxpayer funded gold plated wages and benefits. These things are fiscally unsustainable.
    Public workers are just going to have to accept reductions in compensation. Current levels are just too costly. And now these wages and benefits are political liabilities.

6. DaGoose

DaGoose Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +676
    I have no problem saying that it sucks. Shame on ANY politician blaming the the workers for the financial mess their state is in. The workers didn't cause it and budgets shouldn't be balanced on the workers backs. And I don't care if they have a D or R next to their name.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Robert

Robert Really nice Guy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Union Busting Dems

House votes to restrict unions
    Measure would curb bargaining on health care
    Robert J. Haynes, president of the Massachusetts AFL-CIO, said the union would fight the legislation “to the bitter end.” Robert J. Haynes, president of the Massachusetts AFL-CIO, said the union would fight the legislation “to the bitter end.” (M. McDonald for The Boston Globe)
    By Michael Levenson
    Globe Staff / April 27, 2011

E-mail|
    Print|
    Reprints|
    Comments (359)

Text size – +

House lawmakers voted overwhelmingly last night to strip police officers, teachers, and other municipal employees of most of their rights to bargain over health care, saying the change would save millions of dollars for financially strapped cities and towns.

Tweet 26 people Tweeted this
    Yahoo! Buzz ShareThis

Related

House votes to limit
    bargaining on health care
    Curb on use of
    welfare cash OK’d
    On Lawrence streets,
    frustration over mayor
    Khazei announces Senate run,
    saying he’ll fight interest groups

The 111-to-42 vote followed tougher measures to broadly eliminate collective bargaining rights for public employees in Ohio, Wisconsin, and other states. But unlike those efforts, the push in Massachusetts was led by Democrats who have traditionally stood with labor to oppose any reduction in workers’ rights.

Unions fought hard to stop the bill, launching a radio ad that assailed the plan and warning legislators that if they voted for the measure, they could lose their union backing in the next election. After the vote, labor leaders accused House Speaker Robert A. DeLeo and other Democrats of turning their backs on public employees.

“It’s pretty stunning,’’ said Robert J. Haynes, president of the Massachusetts AFL-CIO. “These are the same Democrats that all these labor unions elected. The same Democrats who we contributed to in their campaigns. The same Democrats who tell us over and over again that they’re with us, that they believe in collective bargaining, that they believe in unions. . . . It’s a done deal for our relationship with the people inside that chamber.’’

8. Too Tall

Too Tall Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I have no problem saying that it sucks. Shame on ANY politician blaming the the workers for the financial mess their state is in. The workers didn't cause it and budgets shouldn't be balanced on the workers backs. And I don't care if they have a D or R next to their name.
    .[/QUOTE]

I would grandfather current public worker benefits and then replace all public pensions with a 401K plan and a stipend for health care insurance. That would be a sustainable system and not require increases in property or other taxes.

9. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,858
    Oh The Times They Are A CHANGIN'...Even in California!

California voters want government employees to give up some retirement benefits to help ease the state's financial problems, favoring a cap on pensions and a later age for collecting them, according to a new poll.

Voter support for rolling back benefits available to few outside the public sector comes as Gov. Jerry Brown and Republicans in the Legislature haggle over changes to the pension system as part of state budget negotiations. Such benefits have been a flashpoint of national debate this year, and the poll shows that Californians are among those who perceive public retirement plans to be too costly.

Voters appear ready to embrace changes not just for future hires but also for current employees who have been promised the benefits under contract.

Seventy percent of respondents said they supported a cap on pensions for current and future public employees. Nearly as many, 68%, approved of raising the amount of money government workers should be required to contribute to their retirement. Increasing the age at which government employees may collect pensions was favored by 52%

Times/USC Dornsife Poll: California voters want public employees to shoulder more of the state's financial troubles, according to the Times/USC Dornsife poll - latimes.com

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. bripat9643

bripat9643 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,449
    The union thugs (workers) did cause it. Anyone who claims otherwise is an imbecile or a lying scumbag.

I thought liberals believe we all need to sacrifice. How about if these privileged government employees do a little sacrificing?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1