Ever notice the preoccupation with sex of Christians?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Ever wonder what that's all about?

"Question:

I was wondering whether rabbis are allowed to get married. In my religion, the priests do not marry; is it the same in Judaism?

Answer:

I once had this exact conversation with a taxi driver. He was Catholic, and asked me if rabbis marry. I told him that not only are rabbis allowed to marry, they are obligated to marry. “Be fruitful and multiply” is a command to all, regardless of career or position in the community.

The taxi driver shook his head and said, “You Jews have got it good. In my community, when someone is dating and confused, or is going through a rough patch in his marriage, or needs guidance on how to discipline their kids, who should we turn to? Our celibate priest? He wouldn’t have a clue what it means to argue with your wife, he’s never been dumped, and certainly doesn’t have a kid that pokes other kids’ eyes out. If I have a question in theology, or need to know which prayers to say, then sure, I’ll go to him. But real-life issues—he can’t help me!”"
Can a Rabbi Get Married - Marriage

"Marriage is vitally important in Judaism. Refraining from marriage is not considered holy, as it is in some other religions. On the contrary, it is considered unnatural. The Talmud says that an unmarried man is constantly thinking of sin. The Talmud tells of a rabbi who was introduced to a young unmarried rabbi. The older rabbi told the younger one not to come into his presence again until he was married.

Marriage is not solely, or even primarily, for the purpose of procreation. Traditional sources recognize that companionship, love and intimacy are the primary purposes of marriage, noting that woman was created in Gen. 2:18 because "it is not good for man to be alone," rather than because she was necessary for procreation."
Judaism 101 Marriage

So maybe Christians' preoccupation with sex, and opposition to some's enjoyment of sex comes from the basic anti-sex position of Pauline Christianity.

1 Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.”

8 To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single as I am.
- 1 Corinthians 7

Odd thing for anyone claiming divine authority to say since it contradicts God's "be fruitful and multiply."

"Question:

I was wondering whether rabbis are allowed to get married. In my religion, the priests do not marry; is it the same in Judaism?

Answer:

I once had this exact conversation with a taxi driver. He was Catholic, and asked me if rabbis marry. I told him that not only are rabbis allowed to marry, they are obligated to marry. “Be fruitful and multiply” is a command to all, regardless of career or position in the community.

The taxi driver shook his head and said, “You Jews have got it good. In my community, when someone is dating and confused, or is going through a rough patch in his marriage, or needs guidance on how to discipline their kids, who should we turn to? Our celibate priest? He wouldn’t have a clue what it means to argue with your wife, he’s never been dumped, and certainly doesn’t have a kid that pokes other kids’ eyes out. If I have a question in theology, or need to know which prayers to say, then sure, I’ll go to him. But real-life issues—he can’t help me!”"

"Marriage is vitally important in Judaism. Refraining from marriage is not considered holy, as it is in some other religions. On the contrary, it is considered unnatural. The Talmud says that an unmarried man is constantly thinking of sin. The Talmud tells of a rabbi who was introduced to a young unmarried rabbi. The older rabbi told the younger one not to come into his presence again until he was married.

Marriage is not solely, or even primarily, for the purpose of procreation. Traditional sources recognize that companionship, love and intimacy are the primary purposes of marriage, noting that woman was created in Gen. 2:18 because "it is not good for man to be alone," rather than because she was necessary for procreation."
Judaism 101 Marriage

So maybe Christians' preoccupation with sex, and opposition to some's enjoyment of sex comes from the basic anti-sex position of Pauline Christianity.

1 Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.”

8 To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single as I am.
- 1 Corinthians 7

Odd thing for anyone claiming divine authority to say since it contradicts God's "be fruitful and multiply."
WOW !!! .......... That is deep, really deep.

"Question:

Answer:

Judaism 101 Marriage

- 1 Corinthians 7

Anyone else notice that he took those verses out of context?

I've always heard a priest should not marry because raising a family would take away from his "guiding the flock". He would have to work to support his family, be there to keep the children from the insidious temptations of the world, and mow the lawn. He would have to be responsible for his families success...not depend on others' assistance. In other words he would have to spend too much time avoiding becoming a liberal.

I've always heard a priest should not marry because raising a family would take away from his "guiding the flock". He would have to work to support his family, be there to keep the children from the insidious temptations of the world, and mow the lawn. He would have to be responsible for his families success...not depend on others' assistance. In other words he would have to spend too much time avoiding becoming a liberal.

Funny how it wasn't a problem the first thousand or so years of the RCC.

He didn't have to mow the lawn back then...

Goats did it for them.

Goats did it for them.
Maybe that's why Imams can marry?

I think Christians have less preoccupation than Muslims.....having one wife and all.

On the other hand, gays, by their very nature, have a preoccupation with sex. Delta is a prime example....

I disagree. It's the secular world that is obsessed with sex.

Christians simply recognize the purposes of marriage and wish to honor the powers of creation we've been given.

"Question:

Answer:

Judaism 101 Marriage

- 1 Corinthians 7

You commenting on sex pre-occupation in anybody is really funny.

"Question:

Answer:

Judaism 101 Marriage

- 1 Corinthians 7

Have you not noticed the number of sex-related threads written by not-me of late? Mine are sex-positive but few and far-between. Others' are prolithic and daily.

"Question:

Answer:

Judaism 101 Marriage

- 1 Corinthians 7

Have you not noticed the number of sex-related threads written by not-me of late? Mine are sex-positive but few and far-between. Others' are prolithic and daily.
To tell the truth, the only thing I have notice concerning you, of late, is that you were sort of an asshole when I disagreed with some of your non-sexual musings.

I was sort of puzzled by that.

Proceed, I don't even remember what is was about; I wrote it off to you having PMS.*

*Pissy man syndrome

- 1 Corinthians 7

Possible, however, most scholars interpret those passages to Paul's apocalyptic teaching. That entire section in 1 Corinthians is about not changing your status as the end of days was approaching. What's the point of getting married, for example, if we are all going to be ascending to heaven shortly anyhow. Might as well just remain as you are. As far as sex, it was Paul's belief that having a wife or husband or having sex would distract you from focusing on God. Thus, it's better not to do it at all. However, he also concedes that he knew people were going to anyhow, so his advice was, do it with your spouse, get it over with, and get back to the business of God. A real romantic, Paul was. :lol:

Most modern Christians disagree with the scholarly interpretation, of course and thus the whole thing kind of gets fucked up.

Forum List

Back