Evaluating moral declines

I say pfffffffffffffffft! Every generation whines about how awful kids are these days.

Ha, its amazing how far we've come, where people went nuts over rock and roll. Holy prudes. OMG he shaked his hips, that devil!!!

Unbelievable when I hear about the uproar over such stupid things.

Cause our generations aren't at all slacking in the morality and virtue department are we? It's all them other guys.

Last edited:
What is considered moral and immoral evolves with each generation

In my generation unmarried sex, homosexuality, divorce, swearing were all considered breeches of moral behavior.

However...discrimination against blacks and gays, denying women equal rights, family violence were all considered moral

whatever changes to the good or bad in morality there has been over the past 50 years is debatable.

one thing that screams at me every day is the change in people's demeanor. i was a youngster during the period that inspired the show "Happy Days" and people were generally happy, pleasant and friendly toward strangers.

not any more. everywhere i go, people are sullen and angry. they call 9-1-1 at the drop of a hat for the most ridiculous, petty crap.

my vehicle was stolen a few months ago and i've had to ride the bus a lot lately. whoo! at least they're conditioned in this town to give up their seats to the elderly and disabled.

In my generation unmarried sex, homosexuality, divorce, swearing were all considered breeches of moral behavior.

However...discrimination against blacks and gays, denying women equal rights, family violence were all considered moral
Funny...I heard an interview with a woman that wrote a history of the birth control pill this morning and I really couldn't believe how differently women were treated in viewed back in the sixties! College students had to pretend to be married to get the pill, SCOTUS ruled that married women could get it but not single women....GMAFB! It really just highlighted the struggle against the moral majority retards.

whatever changes to the good or bad in morality there has been over the past 50 years is debatable.

one thing that screams at me every day is the change in people's demeanor. i was a youngster during the period that inspired the show "Happy Days" and people were generally happy, pleasant and friendly toward strangers.

not any more. everywhere i go, people are sullen and angry. they call 9-1-1 at the drop of a hat for the most ridiculous, petty crap.

my vehicle was stolen a few months ago and i've had to ride the bus a lot lately. whoo! at least they're conditioned in this town to give up their seats to the elderly and disabled.
Do you live in Florida by any chance? People here are rude and paranoid...I'm always amazed when I go elsewhere just how friendly people can be.

How old are you?

i traveled extensively in the 80's and 90's and have been settled in austin, texas since the end of the century (woo?!?! i can't believe i'm saying things like that).

austin's actually in better shape than most places so with a big population of throwbacks still trying to be sociable, creative and happy, all the fear and loathing sticks out worse than places where everybody is insane.

And in the 50's, one spouse could work and you were living the american dream, which was more easily obtainable then. Many worked 9-5 jobs, now a lot of jobs require much more work, for much less pay in respect to inflation, and both spouses have to work. Unhappiness always arises when their is large gaps in money from the top to the bottom, or even top to the middle class. Plus, population increases since the 50's also contributes to increase crime and disrespect as there is more anonymity

We are no more or less moral than a generation ago.

People watched and listened as Kitty Genovese was stabbed to death in the 60s

And people walked right by a man stabbed while coming to the aid of another as he slowly bled to death in 2010.

In short: People fucking suck as much as they ever did.

Last edited:

And in the 50's, one spouse could work and you were living the american dream, which was more easily obtainable then. Many worked 9-5 jobs, now a lot of jobs require much more work, for much less pay in respect to inflation, and both spouses have to work. Unhappiness always arises when their is large gaps in money from the top to the bottom, or even top to the middle class. Plus, population increases since the 50's also contributes to increase crime and disrespect as there is more anonymity

the two worker marriages are especially bad on the kids. in my family, not only was attendance at the dinner table mandatory, we were required to help with prep and cleanup.

even then, the wilder kids in our neighborhood were the ones whose parents were too busy to spend any time with them.

And people walked right by a man stabbed while coming to the aid of another as he slowly bled to death.

SOME people suck --- do you think the percentage is higher, lower or pretty much the same as it was 50 years ago?

And people walked right by a man stabbed while coming to the aid of another as he slowly bled to death.

SOME people suck --- do you think the percentage is higher, lower or pretty much the same as it was 50 years ago?

Most people suck.

As I said we as a species are no more or less moral than we ever were. Since there are more people now than then, I can only conclude that there are more people who suck in the world.

Most people suck.

As I said we as a species are no more or less moral than we ever were. Since there are more people now than then, I can only conclude that there are more people who suck in the world.

and probably the same percentage. I agree, human beings are a despicable species as a whole.

Most people suck.

your conclusion is flawed in context of the question.

yes, more people means more people who suck but the question is has the proportion of sucky people per capita increased, decreased or remain relatively the same?

the hippie elders talk about how we manifest our own reality and having a negative outlook will tend to attract negative reality bites (translate that sucky people in your life causing shitty events to occur).

for myself, adhering to the jiminy cricket doctrine (accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, don't mess with mr. in-between) seems to help reduce the exposure to and the impact on my life by people who suck.

Moral and necessary.

Forum List

Back