Europe and Revisionist History

Tepton said:
i live in germany and i too hate it to be held responsible for the death of millions of jews. members of my family were imprisoned only because they did not join the nazi organisations or because they were members of political parties. i was born more than 40 years after ww2. why should i feel guilty?
why should all the people who were born after the war feel guilty?
just because we are germans? wouldn't that be discrimination too? to brand a whole nation because of the actions of their ancestors?
think about it...

I'm in TOTAL agreement with ya there !! Welcome to the board by the way.
I'd be fine with the Germans throwing off this cloak of guilt that has been forced on em and moving on. Imposed guilt creates a backlash like neo-nazism.

Tepton said:
i live in germany and i too hate it to be held responsible for the death of millions of jews. members of my family were imprisoned only because they did not join the nazi organisations or because they were members of political parties. i was born more than 40 years after ww2. why should i feel guilty?
why should all the people who were born after the war feel guilty?
just because we are germans? wouldn't that be discrimination too? to brand a whole nation because of the actions of their ancestors?
think about it...
Good point and fair enough. Welcome to the board, by the way!

It would be very different if we were to say that Germans today should pay reparations for what their ancestors did. To ignor the anti-semetic history of Europe, particularly Germany, France, the low countries, and the former USSR would be dangerous indeed, but generally what is happening.

@Kathianne
how du you want to know? to say that one does not feel guilty does not mean to forget what happened. i think that no other country dealt with its history in such a way like germany did (definetly with lots of help by the usa).
i don't think that anyone apart from a few morons really would want to deny history. most of the history lessons deal with the time between 1939 and 1945. there are speeches and projects in nearly every school. why? definetely not because we are forced. its because we want to ensure that something like the holocaust never happenes again.
to say europe ignores history is definetely wrong.

Tepton said:
@Kathianne
how du you want to know? to say that one does not feel guilty does not mean to forget what happened. i think that no other country dealt with its history in such a way like germany did (definetly with lots of help by the usa).
i don't think that anyone apart from a few morons really would want to deny history. most of the history lessons deal with the time between 1939 and 1945. there are speeches and projects in nearly every school. why? definetely not because we are forced. its because we want to ensure that something like the holocaust never happenes again.
to say europe ignores history is definetely wrong.

Hey, if all you are speaking of is feeling guilty, beating breast, I agree. If you mean get rid of the reminders, we are disagreeing.

Forum List

Back