EU Budget Summit Fails

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Annie, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    What else is new?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/06/18/eu.summit/

2. padisha emperor

padisha emperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    UK had an advantage when its economy was bad. Now, it's good. But they refuse to leave this advantage. Normally, when you're in crisis, you have an advantage. But when you're out of this crisis, this advantage is useless, and you leave it. UK doesn't. Euroscepticism. UK was and is still not right behind EU.
    Even the east countries, the poorest of EU, said that they were ready to leave some things to have a budget. But Blair say NO. That's why Jean-Claude Junker, Prime minister of Luxembourg, said that he was ashamed. Ashamed by the attitude of Blair.

(if UK would have lot of money from EU for it agriculture, Blair would never say what he said...hypocrisy)

PS : If you can, read the article of Mark LEONARD, in the "New Satesman", from London.
    A real interesting atricle about the french and british situation.
    France is not so bad as people say (more foreign investissments in France than in UK, and even USA. And 4th might, UK is still behind. )

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Well I am unsure about the French having more 'foreign investment money' than US or UK, but why would that be PE?

Why can't the agriculture subsidies go? Seems reasonable to me, like you said, the economy is doing great now.

4. nosarcasm

nosarcasm Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +68

if you ever have seen the violent French farmer protests then you
    know why the French will fight for it to the last breath.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Reminiscent of the serf wars of Russia? Hey, I thought the French were for the collective good?

6. padisha emperor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    France is one of the frist agriculture country. Go in FRance, you will see all the place for the fields we have. It's like in the USA, we have a country, a land, wich does that we can have a big and good agriculture.
    EU gives subventions to help the agriculture, the farmers. And because France is the first or not far in agriculture, France receives lot of money from it. But Poland would have receive it too...unfortunatly UK refuse a compromise.

France has also a leadership in some other domain, these domain evocated by Blait : scuience, high techs...France is not looking for more money here. But UK wants :
    - their money
    - EU money

So, they want to pay, but to take back this money, and also to receive the EU subventions...

France and Germany are the 2 more important countries for the money given to the EU. They pay moer than UK. And they don't take back their money.

The UK attitude is pityful, it's a shame.

Why are they in the EU, if they always refuse to play with the rules ?

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

You mean like France plays by the 'rules?'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4367149.stm

or maybe this?

http://www.climateark.org/articles/reader.asp?linkid=34414
    or maybe this?

http://www.eubusiness.com/afp/030905123527.4sjywfn0/

8. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    This left wing irrational selfishness is why the EU will fragment and fail. People who feel their government should insulate them from change and competition are asking for the impossible. Eventually they just fall behind in their ability to deal with reality.

9. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    If France is a leader in the agricultural sector, why would they need subsidies? Their ability to compete should not be impeded by smaller poorer eastern countries.

Not true, France has very recently recieved subsidies for high tech development - Air Bus ring a bell? Are they not looking for more money as of this week?

The talks were stalled, I don't think anyone really knows for sure what the UK had in mind budget wise after their original beef with rebates had been resolved. I have a feeling France would have given their plans a non, though. :D

France and Germany suck up subsidies just as fast as they put money into the EU. Le Pot meet Le Kettle.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. padisha emperor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    It's not becaue you're a leader in a domain that you can't / don't need to have some subventions.

a SECTOR is not comparable with a private company.

For Airbus.... :blah2: my dear, the money given to airbus can't be compare with the money given to the STATE. Stop to compare so different things (Do I compare a tomato and the Empire state Building ? no - good week end for Airbus at Le Bourget.... :D I want to be sad for Boeing, but I'm not :D )

For the money : do you find it's normal to keep an advantage received when you were ni shit, if now you're in a good position ? Because poor countries from East haven't such advantages. Uk had it.
    Imagine : USA get 10 billions dollars from IMF beacue USA are in the shit. Then, USA feel better, and they don't need this money. But others countries, poors, who need this money, claim it. USA say : "NO, It's OUR money, we receive it some years ago. "

Immature and childish attitude from UK

France has money from EU, fortunatly ! France gives more to EU than everybody else, except I believe Germany.
    UK pay, UK get money from EU. Ok. But UK get also its advantage : EU gives back to UK the money given by UK >> UK recieve twice, and pays not really...

But you seem to not understand how EU works, and why the UK attitude is childish, and a danger for EU.