"Ethnic Cleansing"

jaay5757

Rookie
Oct 11, 2008
Observing the US election race from afar (I live in England) I have been very impressed with Barack Obama. I think the McCain tactic of smearing and insinuation against Obama has been nothing short of disgraceful. I hope Americans can see through his base strategies when it comes to casting their votes. Having read Obama's work it is clear how intelligent he is and how much he is capable of visionary thinking. However, I think he fell into an unfortunate hole in the latest presidential debate. His use of the phrase "ethnic cleansing" was unfortunate. This phrase is meaningless and was dreamt up as an alternative to "genocide". Used ostensively around the time of the Balkans conflict, it allowed the West to sidestep their obligations to act when genocide occurred specifically in Europe and to a lesser extent Africa. I hope Barack can check himself when he feels inclined to use language like this again. I believe Bush's most dangerous weapon has been the manipulation of language to suit his and his administration's ends in swerving America's obligations towards human rights. Barack is a straight talker and I feel he should know better.

Observing the US election race from afar (I live in England) I have been very impressed with Barack Obama. I think the McCain tactic of smearing and insinuation against Obama has been nothing short of disgraceful. I hope Americans can see through his base strategies when it comes to casting their votes. Having read Obama's work it is clear how intelligent he is and how much he is capable of visionary thinking. However, I think he fell into an unfortunate hole in the latest presidential debate. His use of the phrase "ethnic cleansing" was unfortunate. This phrase is meaningless and was dreamt up as an alternative to "genocide". Used ostensively around the time of the Balkans conflict, it allowed the West to sidestep their obligations to act when genocide occurred specifically in Europe and to a lesser extent Africa. I hope Barack can check himself when he feels inclined to use language like this again. I believe Bush's most dangerous weapon has been the manipulation of language to suit his and his administration's ends in swerving America's obligations towards human rights. Barack is a straight talker and I feel he should know better.

I doubt many Americans will see through McCain's smears. You have generously called his tactics 'manipulation', it is actually lying.

Stick around Jaay, don't worry about the previous comments, these are the ones were tolerate to give the place someone to laugh at.

Good analysis by the way.

Observing the US election race from afar (I live in England) I have been very impressed with Barack Obama.
Hey,
And you would continue to live in England while Americans suffer under oppressive taxes, a stagnant economy and weakening American military. Do us a favor, keep your English sensibilities over there. Just remember this collection of farmers, merchants and retailers kicked your royal asses out of the colonies for a reason.

Heck I thought WE were xenophobic! I'm just going to sit back and learn from the xenophobe masters.

Oh by the way if you look at the history surrounding the War of Independence, such as what was happening in Europe at the same time, you might want to bless your lucky stars that the colonists' timing was so good.

But that's another issue.

Anyway, keep on dribbling, I'm watching.

Forum List

Back