Ethics in Business

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Cecilie1200, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    I thought it would be interesting to hear everyone's opinions on this situation.

My friend, Sean, is an auto mechanic. He used to work for a small, individually-owned garage, and his boss was a classic scumbag. Just as an example, Sean quit because his boss wanted him to charge black customers extra.

Sean is now making plans to open his own garage, and would like to bid on the fleet business of his former boss's customers who he knows are being routinely gouged on prices. He feels it's unethical, though, because he became acquainted with the customers through his job and he's taking advantage of inside knowledge (the fact that the prices are deliberately inflated). I say it's ethical because he hasn't worked for the man in a while, so it isn't like he's quitting and taking the business with him out the door. And any reasonably-informed person in the automotive industry could look at those prices and know that they're inflated. As long as he doesn't badmouth his old boss to get the business and simply enters a lower - honest - bid, I don't see the problem.

What do you guys say?

2. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    You are correct. Sean's old boss could have protected himself with a covenant not to compete (for which he would have paid Sean). He did not; Sean should go forth and prosper.

Many blessings on his new business.

3. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Thanks. I think he'll do great.

4. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,156
    In general, business ethics is an oxymoron.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Dog-eat-dog ain't really good business, Wry Catcher.

6. lizzie

lizzie Zen Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Imo, as long as he's being honest and practicing personal ethics, there's no problem.

7. american chaos

american chaos Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There is no such thing as "ethics in business". In fact, there is no wrong way in business as long as you make a profit.

Your friend should run advertisement calling his old boss a Douche bag filled with pee!

8. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,091
    Shawn's boss could have had him on a non-compete contract, he did not, so it is fair game.

I was paid by the last company I worked for that downsized me, for nearly a year, as long as I did not go to work for one of their competitors or for myself, using the private information of the company.

good luck to your friend....non competitive contracts are usually only for a year after being laid off anyway.

I would not blast or complain about his previous owner, when he is seeking these other accounts though....his competitive prices alone should do the trick.

9. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Crooked businesses attract sleazy clients, who often pay slow or not at all. Integrity in business isn't just good for the soul...it's also good for the bottom line.

The future clients of this business will watch how the owner speaks of his former employer, and wonder if someday, that's how he'll speak about them. If he exercises restraint, they'll be more inclined to trust him.

10. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,446
    Tell Sean that he does not have non-disclosure or a refusal-to-compete agreements with his former boss, then he is certainly ethical and moral to challenge the bum carburetor to carburetor for the clienteles' business. I doubt that the boss can legally mount a successful challenge.

I think, additionally, if Sean is a true capitalist he will believe in customer service, quality work, and low prices to generate volume.

Good for him.