Eric Cantor (R-VA) at "Jobs Fair" - "Stimulus not working"

Discussion in 'Economy' started by rdean, Jul 14, 2010.

1. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,866
    [​IMG]

– Cantor job fair employer AT&T has received two contracts totaling $837,550 from the Recovery Act.

– Cantor job fair employer Bryant & Stratton College received contracts totaling $209,571 from the Recovery Act.

– Cantor job fair employer Chesterfield County received grants totaling $406,773 from the Recovery Act.

– Cantor job fair employer CSX Transportation received grants totaling over $5.7 million from the Recovery Act.

– Cantor job fair employer Goodwill Industries International has received grants of over $6.4 million from the Recovery Act.

– Cantor job fair employer Northrop Grumman Corporation has received grants of over $2.6 million from the Recovery Act.

– Cantor job fair employer University of Richmond has received grants totaling $750,964 from the Recovery Act.

– Cantor job fair employer Nationwide Insurance has received grants totaling $25,617 from the Recovery Act.

– Cantor job fair employer United Way of Greater Richmond has received a $61,125 grant from the Recovery Act.

According to a ThinkProgress review of contracts from the Recovery.gov website, employers at the Cantor job fair tomorrow have received approximately $52,716,129 from the stimulus.

Think Progress Cantor To Host Job Fair With Employers Stimulated By Over $50 Million In Recovery Act Funds

Protesters, including Democratic opponent Rick Waugh, demonstrated outside the school, displaying signs criticizing Cantor for voting against the economic stimulus package, then bringing in government and other employers who benefited from the funding.

Photos: Congressman Eric Cantor Hosts Job Fair, More Than 3,000 Attend : Downtown Short Pump

[​IMG]

Thousands attend job fair in Henrico | Richmond Times-Dispatch

Cantor Says Federal Spending Doesn’t ‘Create Jobs’ — At Job Fair With Companies Funded By The Stimulus

Think Progress Cantor Says Federal Spending Doesn’t ‘Create Jobs’ — At Job Fair With Companies Funded By The Stimulus

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euIei68DbzU&feature]YouTube - Cantor On Stimulus Repeal[/ame]

--------------------------------------------------

Do Republicans feel comfortable being at every ribbon cutting, every jobs fair and taking credit and at the same time, saying it "didn't" work. Can they take credit for what "didn't work"? Will voters fall for that?

2. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,839
    Lets use round numbers:

Stimulus funds disbursed $300B

Jobs "Saved" or created: 3MM

Therefore, it cost $100,000 per Job!

And Obama, the biggest liar ever (He make Nixon look like a Saint) said that the Gubbamint kicked in a buck and private enterprise kicked in 3. So that's $400,000/job!!

Seriously?

Libs still haven't made a critical adjustment from losing their media monopoly so they look like fucking idiots

Liberal Intellectual Elite. LOL Wake me up when one shows up.

Fucking retards

3. topspin

topspin BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +196
    cantor is a huge douche bag. I'd love him to run.

4. Zona

Zona A guy in ariZONA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +942
    This is a precise, concise example of republican hypocracy and bull shit.

Nicely done.

5. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,839
    $400,000 per job saved or created! Such a deal!

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    and those are conservative numbers. Much more really. The reality explains the poll numbers on other threads.

7. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,866
    Honestly, I don't know what's wrong with you people.

The stimulus wasn't just for jobs. Remember "Cash for Clunkers" that worked so beyond expectations?

Some of it went to first time home buyers.

Some went to education.

If we kept following Republican policies, we would be in the middle of a great depression. I can't help it if Republicans aren't bright enough to see that. The poll numbers don't reflect the reality. What the reflect are the Republicans constantly standing the in the way of healing their damage:

Ezra Klein - McConnell: 'No evidence whatsoever that the Bush tax cuts actually diminished revenue'

Why does this make me sad? Because it's hard to see the country prospering when one of its two major political parties is this economically illiterate. McConnell isn't some backbencher. He's Senate minority leader. And he thinks there's "no evidence whatsoever that the Bush tax cuts actually diminished revenue."

There's an ontological question here about what, exactly, McConnell considers to be "evidence." But how about the Congressional Budget Office's estimations? "The new CBO data show that changes in law enacted since January 2001 increased the deficit by $539 billion in 2005. In the absence of such legislation, the nation would have a surplus this year. Tax cuts account for almost half — 48 percent — of this $539 billion in increased costs." How about the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget? Their budget calculator shows that the tax cuts will cost $3.28 trillion between 2011 and 2018. How about George W. Bush's CEA chair, Greg Mankiw, who used the term "charlatans and cranks" for people who believed that "broad-based income tax cuts would have such large supply-side effects that the tax cuts would raise tax revenue." He continued: "I did not find such a claim credible, based on the available evidence. I never have, and I still don't."

[​IMG]

8. 2Parties

2Parties Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +123
    If Cash for Clunkers is so great and if stimulus is so great why settle for such small amounts? Why not $30,000 for your clunker? Why not $5 trillion in stimulus?

Please those that support these programs, explain the economics I don't understand and why the government should or should not drastically increase stimulus efforts?

9. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,866
    You want to kickstart the economy, not just throw money away. That would only make the problem worse.

Someone correct me, but I believe the total assets of the US economy is close to 200 trillion dollars and the GDP is like 13 trillion. One thing for sure, without the "stimulus", we would be in the middle of a terrible and horrendous world wide depression. Thank God for Obama and not McCain. Could you imagine? The scope of that (fill in the blank) in the White House. He would be worse than Bush.

You can actually go to the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget and read about the issues.

Budget Simulator | Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget

One startling fact was that the Bush tax cuts will cost $3.28 trillion between 2011 and 2018 in lost revenue.

But, but, but I thought cutting taxes spurred the economy. No Virginia, that's another Republican lie.

10. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,214
    Do you actually believe that fucking blather dripping off your keyboard? If so you are the dumbest thing down the pike.
    The stimulus was a failure. Cash for clunkers was a failure. Home buyers credit was a failure. The entire Obama economic policy is a gross disgusting goat fuck of a failure.
    And you're too stupid, too partisan, and too insulated to see that.