Entering College Age?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Opportunity opens if you have the grades. I know of two young people that just graduated from West Point. It's a great chance, if you have the qualifications:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,166538,00.html
Fast Facts: U.S. Military Academies

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

All four U.S. military academies have seen a drop in the number of applications this year compared with last year. At some of the academies those applicant numbers have been thinning for some time and are nearing pre-9/11 numbers.

Number of Applicants for the Class of 2009 vs. 2008

Air Force Academy — declined 23 percent
Coast Guard Academy — declined 12 percent
U.S. Military Academy — declined 9 percent
Naval Academy — declined 20 percent

Applications and Enrollment, Class of 2009

Air Force Academy — Colorado Springs, Colo.
Applications — 9,604
Enrollment — 1,390

Coast Guard Academy — New London, Conn.
Applications — 1628
Enrollment — 307

U.S. Military Academy — West Point, N.Y.
Applications — 10,773
Enrollment — 1,266

Naval Academy — Annapolis, Md.
Applications — 11,257
Enrollment — 1,220

Links

U.S. Air Force Academy
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
U.S. Military Academy
U.S. Naval Academy

About the Academies

Every military branch except for the Marine Corps (which has a program at the Naval Academy) has their own academy. The academies provide a four-year university education and a commission as an officer in the military upon graduation.

All of the military academies are highly competitive and tuition-free to those admitted. The Air Force even pays their students a stipend.

Each academy supplies expertly trained troops to the armed services because they require a minimum nine-year commitment to the military — meaning at least five years of active-duty after graduating.

Compiled by FOX News' Molly Bernhart

i would have applied to the air force back in 99 had i not needed corrective lenses...i would probably be in Iraq right now, kicking terrorist ass. i wanted to fly the planes (specifically the F16 Falcon) SO bad, but because i needed contacts, they said no go on that part. :cry:

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

I would have been Einstein if I had any brains. I would have been Beethoven with any talent. But I definitely have enough brains not to be putting my life on the line for Halliburton.

nucular said:
Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

I would have been Einstein if I had any brains. I would have been Beethoven with any talent. But I definitely have enough brains not to be putting my life on the line for Halliburton.

Is this statement an admission that the poster has neither brains nor talent?

Seeking clarification becuase if I didn't know better, I would get the impression that the poster thinks that all graduates of the military academies are either driven by the desire to work for Halburton or are stupid.

CSM said:
Is this statement an admission that the poster has neither brains nor talent?

Seeking clarification becuase if I didn't know better, I would get the impression that the poster thinks that all graduates of the military academies are either driven by the desire to work for Halburton or are stupid.

I just thought it was funny how the previous posters said they "would have" been over there kicking terrorist ass if not for their poor health. Yeah, right.

I would have singlehandedly saved all of the tsunami victims, but I wasn't there.

I have tons of brains and talent!
;) ;) ;)

nucular said:
I just thought it was funny how the previous posters said they "would have" been over there kicking terrorist ass if not for their poor health. Yeah, right.

I would have singlehandedly saved all of the tsunami victims, but I wasn't there.

I have tons of brains and talent!
;) ;) ;)
Oh I got that insunuation just fine....it was the part about having enough brains not to put your life on the line for Halburton.....that statement implies that military folks are too stupid (in your estimation) to realize they are being used ... and that implication is what I am really in opposition too....

My four years at West Point were the best investment in my personal development I could have asked for. It was an honor to spend five years on active duty as "payback." I highly recommend the service academies to any high school graduate who loves their country and wants to expand their potential.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
gop_jeff said:
My four years at West Point were the best investment in my personal development I could have asked for. It was an honor to spend five years on active duty as "payback." I highly recommend the service academies to any high school graduate who loves their country and wants to expand their potential.

I'm sure that's the case and congratulations. But if brave boys #1 and #2 really want to "kick terrorist ass" but they are substandard physically for our military aren't there other options? How about becoming a "contractor" (right wing politically correct terminology for mercenary) and "kicking terrorist ass"? Bragging about what they "would have" done on the internet doesn't disturb one hair on one terrorist ass.

gop_jeff said:
My four years at West Point were the best investment in my personal development I could have asked for.

even more than your job NOW??? :)

And Fuzzy - there is a waiver for EVERYTHING. So you couldn't fly F16s. Big whoop. Fly rotary-wing...or other planes. Or, just be a Finance Officer. Or an Ordinance Officer. Lots of ways to serve.

CSM said:
Oh I got that insunuation just fine....it was the part about having enough brains not to put your life on the line for Halburton.....that statement implies that military folks are too stupid (in your estimation) to realize they are being used ... and that implication is what I am really in opposition too....

People can fight for whatever reason they think is valid, religion, family tradition, patriotism, nationalism, racism, or just because they want the money.

I'm just saying I wouldn't fight a war that's being directed for the benefit of Halliburton, if that's my interpretation, and it is.

What other people want to do or how they view the war is their business, expecially if they are the ones in the theater.

nucular said:
People can fight for whatever reason they think is valid, religion, family tradition, patriotism, nationalism, racism, or just because they want the money.

I'm just saying I wouldn't fight a war that's being directed for the benefit of Halliburton, if that's my interpretation, and it is.

What other people want to do or how they view the war is their business, expecially if they are the ones in the theater.

Again, the implication is that those fighting this war (based on the statement you wrote) is that the ones currently fighting said war do not have the brains ...etc. Ergo, they are stupid...

I dont buy that.

nucular said:

Translation: My critical-thinking skills need polishing, because thinking the war is 'for halliburton' simply doesn't make sense.

;)

CSM said:
Again, the implication is that those fighting this war (based on the statement you wrote) is that the ones currently fighting said war do not have the brains ...etc. Ergo, they are stupid...

I dont buy that.

You're choosing to misunderstand me. I said "I" wouldn't fight for Halliburton, because that's what I think it's about.

If other people think it's about something else and want to fight for it, more power to them. I don't think they're stupid. They just have a different perspective.

Do you think that Halliburton is not benefiting in a huge way from all of this "regime change"?

nucular said:
.... But I definitely have enough brains not to be putting my life on the line for Halliburton.
That is what you posted...I am not deliberately misinterpreting anything....the implication is very clear that those who are putting their lives on the line currently do not have the brains you do.... that somehow they are less intelligent than you...

Again, I do not buy that.

Anyone who has read my posts will soon realize that I take serious offense to ANYONE who would try to foster the idea that the members of our military are stupid, mindless automatons; that they are second class citizens, or substandard human beings. I am not saying you hold that view, I am merely stating that you imply they are stupid...I will not let that implication stand without rebuttal.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
CSM said:
That is what you posted...I am not deliberately misinterpreting anything....the implication is very clear that those who are putting their lives on the line currently do not have the brains you do.... that somehow they are less intelligent than you...

Again, I do not buy that.

Anyone who has read my posts will soon realize that I take serious offense to ANYONE who would try to foster the idea that the members of our military are stupid, mindless automatons; that they are second class citizens, or substandard human beings. I am not saying you hold that view, I am merely stating that you imply they are stupid...I will not let that implication stand without rebuttal.

I said I have enough brains not to put MY life on the line for Halliburton. That says how I feel about myself, my own self esteem and my opinion of Halliburton. If others think enough of Halliburton to put their lives on the line for it, that's up to them. Everybody has their own priorities, and not everyone holds themselves in the same regard. As far as the intelligence of the military is concerned, I'm sure there is a wide range. We'd have to have access to some IQ tests to see what the range is. I hope you are not trying to say that every person in the military is highly intelligent, because that's not the case. Nor am I trying to say that everybody in the military is not, because I know that not to be the case from my own friendships with military personnel. OK?
:crutch: :whip:

nucular said:
I said I have enough brains not to put MY life on the line for Halliburton. That says how I feel about myself, my own self esteem and my opinion of Halliburton. If others think enough of Halliburton to put their lives on the line for it, that's up to them. Everybody has their own priorities, and not everyone holds themselves in the same regard. As far as the intelligence of the military is concerned, I'm sure there is a wide range. We'd have to have access to some IQ tests to see what the range is. I hope you are not trying to say that every person in the military is highly intelligent, because that's not the case. Nor am I trying to say that everybody in the military is not, because I know that not to be the case from my own friendships with military personnel. OK?
:crutch: :whip:

OK

with that clarification from you...I am satisfied.

CSM said:

I dont buy that.

yet somehow he still supports the troops, just not the mission:p:

nucular said:
I'm sure that's the case and congratulations. But if brave boys #1 and #2 really want to "kick terrorist ass" but they are substandard physically for our military aren't there other options? How about becoming a "contractor" (right wing politically correct terminology for mercenary) and "kicking terrorist ass"? Bragging about what they "would have" done on the internet doesn't disturb one hair on one terrorist ass.

First of all, contractors don't fight; they perform supporting missions. Many contractors are former military.

Secondly, yes, there are other options, such as civil service. Also a recommended course for those who want to serve their country.

As for people who brag online about what they would like to do... well, call it venting, call it brash, call it whatever. You are certainly right to say that there are other ways to serve.

Forum List

Back