Enjoy the warming today!

Sheesh. The tulips at the base of the big paulonia trees have been blooming for a week. The plum tree at the end of the deck is in full bloom, the pink dogwood at the other corner is getting ready to bloom, the grape vine is starting to leaf out. And I mowed the moss in the back yard for the first time this year. About two weeks later than prior years.

2 weeks later, huh? That would be about right given the cool off period required during a solar minimum.

Yes, it has been a cooler winter than we have had for the past few years. However, much warmer that the average that we had when I was a kid.

In 1910, and a few times before, the Columbia River froze hard enough to drive wagons from Portland to Vancouver. We have not seen that kind of cold for a long time.

Yes, we have a solar minimum, a strong and persistant La Nina, but still have warm winters. We should have had a very cold winter, not one wamer than most in the last century.

Sheesh. The tulips at the base of the big paulonia trees have been blooming for a week. The plum tree at the end of the deck is in full bloom, the pink dogwood at the other corner is getting ready to bloom, the grape vine is starting to leaf out. And I mowed the moss in the back yard for the first time this year. About two weeks later than prior years.

2 weeks later, huh? That would be about right given the cool off period required during a solar minimum.

Yes, it has been a cooler winter than we have had for the past few years. However, much warmer that the average that we had when I was a kid.

In 1910, and a few times before, the Columbia River froze hard enough to drive wagons from Portland to Vancouver. We have not seen that kind of cold for a long time.

Yes, we have a solar minimum, a strong and persistant La Nina, but still have warm winters. We should have had a very cold winter, not one wamer than most in the last century.

We are coming off an intense solar maximum. Things take time to cool off once heated. A matter of common sense.

We are coming off an intense solar maximum. Things take time to cool off once heated. A matter of common sense.

And when we start hitting higher temps that 1998 without a major El Nino, what are you going to say then?

And when we start hitting higher temps that 1998 without a major El Nino, what are you going to say then?

I'll believe it when I see it. If it does happen it will be because of the sun and earth and have little to nothing to do with man.

Yes - it used to be a strongly independent kind of place. In the 1990s it started to really move hard left. I had a friend whose business that was nearly destroyed during those idiotic WTO riots. He had been at his location for nearly 15 years before that day, and while he continued on for a couple years after, he sold out and moved on. I remember him saying to me about the WTO experience, "I hat this fu--ing city. Hippy scumbags ruined it." He was a former Vietnam Vet and had gone to college in the still-radical early 70's era, but Seattle had become too much for him to stomach.

He moved to Central Oregon and has never looked back.

Seattle reminds me of that song with the line "Dead-head sticker on a Cadillac." That is Seattle.

Portland would be a "Dead-head sticker on a mountain bike..."

I miss the independent decades. I grew up during those times, when people were thinkers and the state and city government didn't knee jerk everything that went through. Well, at least we are now a great example of what happens when environuts are given too much power. Word to the wise, don't let your cities turn into what Seattle has, stop the environmental policies before they ruin the whole country. The funny thing (well sad really but gotta laugh at it to make it sting less) is that in spite of all this environmental crap we had forced on us, our city is gray as hell and we have almost no clean air left, even as far as Kent it's hard to breath.

Gray as hell, huh? Must be fate stepping in and doing justice for all the lying.

Too much smug in the air ... :eusa_whistle:

If it actually happens ... it would be nice to have one more nice year before we start freezing more.

I miss the independent decades. I grew up during those times, when people were thinkers and the state and city government didn't knee jerk everything that went through. Well, at least we are now a great example of what happens when environuts are given too much power. Word to the wise, don't let your cities turn into what Seattle has, stop the environmental policies before they ruin the whole country. The funny thing (well sad really but gotta laugh at it to make it sting less) is that in spite of all this environmental crap we had forced on us, our city is gray as hell and we have almost no clean air left, even as far as Kent it's hard to breath.

Gray as hell, huh? Must be fate stepping in and doing justice for all the lying.

Too much smug in the air ... :eusa_whistle:

:lol:

Really? Perhaps back in your childhood some 60 years ago it was in fact cold, but it appears if we go back nearly 40 years ago, today's temperatures fall well on the side of "colder than normal" as well...

Portland, OR temperature records paint the current winter as being decidedly cold vs long term averages between 1971-2000 where December and January mean temps averaged 41.25 degrees. In 2007-2008 December and January mean temps for Portland averaged 40 degrees - 1.25 degrees cooler - not an insignifcant drop in mean temperature average! This drop though was easily bested by the 2008-2009 December and January mean temp. average of 39 degrees - a full 2.25 degrees colder!!! Brrrrrrr!!!!!

It should also be noted that the average annual temperature for Portland Oregon for the years 1971-2000 was 54.3 degrees.

In 2008 the average annual temperature was 54 degrees.

It would appear in your little neck of the woods, the past 37 years has seen no warming, but actually a moderate decline in average yearly temperatures.

The truth is out there....

Last edited:
20 years ago Seattle was awesome ... but with bad choices and the "green" movement ruining us we suck now.

Yes - it used to be a strongly independent kind of place. In the 1990s it started to really move hard left. I had a friend whose business that was nearly destroyed during those idiotic WTO riots. He had been at his location for nearly 15 years before that day, and while he continued on for a couple years after, he sold out and moved on. I remember him saying to me about the WTO experience, "I hat this fu--ing city. Hippy scumbags ruined it." He was a former Vietnam Vet and had gone to college in the still-radical early 70's era, but Seattle had become too much for him to stomach.

Seattle reminds me of that song with the line "Dead-head sticker on a Cadillac." That is Seattle.

How is that ban on phosphates working out? No, not a ban on owning them, but a ban on businesses selling them.:eusa_shhh:

How is that ban on phosphates working out? No, not a ban on owning them, but a ban on businesses selling them.:eusa_shhh:

Phosphate Ban in Washington State Leads to Soap Smuggling
You be the judge. So far it's still too new to see much change other than this (the comments on that site are just sad really, they are actually talking about forcing it on everyone, will someone just nuke our state and get it over with please). Bans like this are just stupid. I am far from being a "neat freak" but come on! When will it all end?

HAH! I was just discussing this with a neighbor the other day - a devout liberal not less, and she is fuming over the phosphate issue. We both thought our almost-new dishwashers were on the fritz because the dishes were coming out so unclean - only to discover the phosphate ban.

Unbelievable nonsense the permeates our times today...

HAH! I was just discussing this with a neighbor the other day - a devout liberal not less, and she is fuming over the phosphate issue. We both thought our almost-new dishwashers were on the fritz because the dishes were coming out so unclean - only to discover the phosphate ban.

Unbelievable nonsense the permeates our times today...

As I said, if we don't stop them in their tracks now then it won't end until we all live in bubbles, naked, eating nothing but protein paste.

Forum List

Back