Emoticon Clean Up

And what would be a recommended supporting image format, Flacc? I'm not the IT type and am much more used to working with tangible things I can hold in my hand (read: Luddite).

all PNG, TIFF, JPEG and SOME GIFS.. GIFS are always problematic because the "standard" sucks and ends up working on some OSystems and not others. Search web using "small emojis" as part of the search.. Because there's too many LARGE ones..

If you LIKE the large ones, copy the whole image and SCALE IT DOWN in any convenient photo editor like Microsoft Photo viewer and than save the smaller version..

After you experiment with this -- open a thread in the Rubber Room to try the best way to store them and link them in.. And find SCALINGS that are close to the USMB font sizes so you can embed them in text..

View attachment 339131...... And scaled to 40% of original ,,......... View attachment 339136

"If you LIKE the large ones"

I am a Size Queen so my answer is in the Positive :dev2:

I am also at this moment confused so here is a large Confused emoticon:

1590094242550.png

So sorry you do not like the smilies. MANY I spent a lot of time getting set, and sending to Admin to install here b/c there were like 2 smilies. You don't like them? Don't use them. Sometimes you need to stop amd think who may have worked hard to even find them, and get them set up. The software is the reason they go in the smilie bank as they do.

:icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes:

I use the Emoticons here because all of my Emoticons in my Portfolio are all Kinky and XXXX Rated and if I used them here the Sensitive Snowflakes would be emotionally traumatised, because I WANT to cause the Sensitive Snowflakes emotional trauma I HAVE been tempted to use the Kinky and XXXX Rated emoticons....:badgrin:

And what would be a recommended supporting image format, Flacc? I'm not the IT type and am much more used to working with tangible things I can hold in my hand (read: Luddite).

all PNG, TIFF, JPEG and SOME GIFS.. GIFS are always problematic because the "standard" sucks and ends up working on some OSystems and not others. Search web using "small emojis" as part of the search.. Because there's too many LARGE ones..

If you LIKE the large ones, copy the whole image and SCALE IT DOWN in any convenient photo editor like Microsoft Photo viewer and than save the smaller version..

After you experiment with this -- open a thread in the Rubber Room to try the best way to store them and link them in.. And find SCALINGS that are close to the USMB font sizes so you can embed them in text..

View attachment 339131...... And scaled to 40% of original ,,......... View attachment 339136

"If you LIKE the large ones"

I am a Size Queen so my answer is in the Positive :dev2:

I am also at this moment confused so here is a large Confused emoticon:

View attachment 339167

Now I finally understand you... You should "emoticon" more...

all PNG, TIFF, JPEG and SOME GIFS..
Oh, well, I already know these very well. I thought maybe you knew some exotic file formats particular to just internet usage. I think TIFF would be wasteful since it has massive redundancy in it as a lossless format---- pointless for a little emoticon. I've essentially already done this and apparently can do it to all of the emojis here, which is plenty enough for me.

Just trying to clean up the emoji jungle here to the ones that actually get used fairly often with a real distinctive point to them, organize them better into logical categories for quicker searches, and in a way where I don't need a microscope to see them.

So sorry you do not like the smilies. MANY I spent a lot of time getting set, and sending to Admin to install here b/c there were like 2 smilies. You don't like them? Don't use them. Sometimes you need to stop amd think who may have worked hard to even find them, and get them set up. The software is the reason they go in the smilie bank as they do.

:icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes:
You did a great job, too, Kat. When I google emoticons, I get all the 2nd grade stickers emoticons. You've found some really adult ones. Funny, too.

I sure wish they could be a bit bigger though. I don't remember them being quite so small in the old format.

You did a great job, too, Kat. When I google emoticons, I get all the 2nd grade stickers emoticons. You've found some really adult ones. Funny, too.

I sure wish they could be a bit bigger though. I don't remember them being quite so small in the old format.
Their actual size isn't changed IN USE, just that the old software displayed them in the selection box actual size whereas Xenforo resizes them smaller and limits their size in the new selection box so all are about the same size, which means that the bigger the emoji, the greater the size reduction. Many are so small now, it is very hard to tell what they are and it takes forever hunting trying to find the one you want sometimes.

My grubby old fingers always pushes the wrong one and I have to keep the phone two inches from my face. They are small.

My grubby old fingers always pushes the wrong one and I have to keep the phone two inches from my face. They are small.

OMG I am not sure they would ever be big enough to see on your phone. Didn't think about that. :flirtysmile4:

OMG I am not sure they would ever be big enough to see on your phone. Didn't think about that. :flirtysmile4:
Well. I am getting old with crappy eyesight.
So there's that.:sad:

Everything I read is two inches from my face.

Their actual size isn't changed IN USE, just that the old software displayed them in the selection box actual size whereas Xenforo resizes them smaller and limits their size in the new selection box so all are about the same size, which means that the bigger the emoji, the greater the size reduction. Many are so small now, it is very hard to tell what they are and it takes forever hunting trying to find the one you want sometimes.
CTRL SHIFT + 'til it's big enough for you to see.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
This site used to be unique in offering opinions on posts.....STARs and informative and I kinda liked the STFU in the dungeon. This new crap is like everyplace else.....and I don't care for the hearts in the eyes of the laughing smiley....faggotry of the highest order. So if you're wondering if I'm laughing at you or with you it ain't my fault...I don't have hearts in my eyes for anything or anybody here. :doubt:

This site used to be unique in offering opinions on posts.....STARs and informative and I kinda liked the STFU in the dungeon. This new crap is like everyplace else.....and I don't care for the hearts in the eyes of the laughing smiley....faggotry of the highest order. So if you're wondering if I'm laughing at you or with you it ain't my fault...I don't have hearts in my eyes for anything or anybody here. :doubt:

Well, that's just sad. You're missing out. ;)

It's a good idea because you have to look for the right smiley every time and it would be nice to have a bank to have our own smileyView attachment 338220
At the top of icons, it has been storing my favorites.
Only until you log off. It would be great if you could actually select and save your own permanent favorites there. Would solve everything.

Kat, I use a 27-inch monitor with 2560 X 1440 resolution which makes them even smaller. I've largely given up even using emoticons because:

A). The new Likes are wholesale inferior and industry generic and largely useless, compared to the old THANK YOU, WINNER, AGREE, INFORMATIVE, etc., as I'm sure Lucy agrees. The old were based on a cognitive process of what you THOUGHT of a message, whereas the new LIKE, LOVE, FUNNY, SAD, ANGRY, etc., are EMOTIONALLY based and puerile, as if I'm supposed to vote based on FEELINGS like I'm a little child. This makes the Likes largely useless now and you mostly Like something, occasionally Love something, and rarely anything else, even when Like doesn't really fit what you wanted to say.

B). The new Emoji drop down gif selection box, besides being stupidly placed OVER the message you are writing blocking view of it so that you cannot leave it open as before and must manually now close it after every pick, between the sheer NUMBER of emojis, their random mixing, and tiny size means it often takes MINUTES and repeated scans up and down trying to spot the odd one you really want. A few times, I swore it was no longer there. This makes using the selection box more trouble than its worth. People do have lives (at least some of us).

C). We're now down to three "Zones" yet nowhere are they ever delineated. They all look the same. Clearly there is a need (and an ability) to make each zone look different to the eye so that the user is aways reminded of and aware of the zone they are in as they hop from message to message to message reading, writing and replying frantically, plus have easy access to review the fine points of differences between the zones wherever they are at. This is a major liability which, despite the importance of zones, don't seem able to effect any acknowledgement of the gaping problem from others, much less the solution, which I think I've already mapped out the solution to!

Xenforo clearly has some poorly thought out design flaws and shortcomings worth exploring for development, but I think much can still be done to address these matters in the here-now. If I were to illustrate what I'm talking about to the above, I'm sure the response would be highly positive as was the response to my emoji problem here. I just happen to not only be a design perfectionist, but a graphical and an organizational freak.

And best of all, for all intents and purposes here, I'm free. :SMILEW~130:

(No emoticons were used or harmed in the creation of this message)

CTRL SHIFT + 'til it's big enough for you to see.
Sorry, OL, that must be a PC shortcut. Sure, I can zoom the screen in and out all day long if I only wanted to add yet more steps, work and time to what should be a simple message-writing process, but that is what they call a KLUDGE. I prefer to fix problems rather than finding ways of merely coping with accepting them. Anything worth doing, as the adage goes, is worth doing right. Put another way, call it personal pride. If this were my group to design as I could, I'd make several important changes to it that would greatly increase user satisfaction while reducing moderator work. But then, what would I know, only being an administrator, group owner and moderator myself? :smoke:

Why ask for FB if folks are not even willing to consider it?

It's a good idea because you have to look for the right smiley every time and it would be nice to have a bank to have our own smileyView attachment 338220

You CAN collect your own smileys.. Just make sure they are in a supported image format...
You could even CAPTURE most of the smileys offered up in the editor and add those to your collection.. SOME of them can't be copied.. Especially the "dynamic" ones, but most of the "static" can be copied out into a personal collection...
Thank you, I have a lot of smiley available on my old forum. but I think it's better and simpler, faster to choose them at this forum when I make a post but they are not placed in category:th_yourecute:

Why thank you, toob, for making that decision for us, which we would prefer.

I personally like the raspberry and the kid at the desk waving his hand.

Once when I used the emoticons, it listed up at the top ones I had previously used, but it must only save them for a short time, because they aren't there now. I also wish we could make them bigger.

I agree with toob they are hard to hunt through.
I've frankly never seen either the raspberry or desk used by anyone, and there are others that can be subbed for the raspberry above and I have no idea what the kid at the desk waving his hand is supposed to mean. Does that mean you need to be excused to go pee? I think the ones above pretty much cover all the situations we NEED. More just makes the search harder.

The emoticon box only saves the ones you use during a single log in. Every time you leave USMB, it dumps them from memory. Though many are obviously rarely/never used, it wouldn't be so bad if you could organize your own set and SAVE THEM as your personal list (what I was going to try to do then offer them to the group), or if they were at least ORGANIZED by relative category as I've done above so that when you are looking for a particular thought, you can actually FIND IT. Most are so small now, you can barely tell what they are supposed to represent, and forget about reading any associated text.

I have used the kid raising his hand one when someone is asking a question and I am about to give a smartass remark...

Why thank you, toob, for making that decision for us, which we would prefer.

I personally like the raspberry and the kid at the desk waving his hand.

Once when I used the emoticons, it listed up at the top ones I had previously used, but it must only save them for a short time, because they aren't there now. I also wish we could make them bigger.

I agree with toob they are hard to hunt through.
I've frankly never seen either the raspberry or desk used by anyone, and there are others that can be subbed for the raspberry above and I have no idea what the kid at the desk waving his hand is supposed to mean. Does that mean you need to be excused to go pee? I think the ones above pretty much cover all the situations we NEED. More just makes the search harder.

The emoticon box only saves the ones you use during a single log in. Every time you leave USMB, it dumps them from memory. Though many are obviously rarely/never used, it wouldn't be so bad if you could organize your own set and SAVE THEM as your personal list (what I was going to try to do then offer them to the group), or if they were at least ORGANIZED by relative category as I've done above so that when you are looking for a particular thought, you can actually FIND IT. Most are so small now, you can barely tell what they are supposed to represent, and forget about reading any associated text.

I have used the kid raising his hand one when someone is asking a question and I am about to give a smartass remark...
Noted. I have actually added that one emoji to my list and can now add it to any post here at will :desk: without further need for the 'Smiles' drop down box.

Forum List

Back