Emily explains concealed carry gun reciprocity, so that even a left winger can understand it...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
This is why we need concealed carry reciprocity...so good people don't lose their lives to stupid laws.....

Opinion | I should be able to carry my concealed gun across all state lines

Now, let’s say I’m carrying my gun in the city and decide to go dinner in Arlington. In order to know Virginia law, I have to check the state police website, which says the state recognizes legal carry permits from any other state. So, I’m cool.

But say my dinner plans change to Bethesda. I check the Maryland State Police website. It takes a couple of clicks to see that the Free State does not recognize carry permits from any other state. I’m a law-abiding permit holder, but if I carry my gun to dinner in Maryland, I could be arrested.

Now let’s say I want to travel a little farther up Interstate 95 to Pennsylvania. The attorney general’s website lists six “categories” for reciprocity. After going through each category, I find that D.C. isn’t listed at all, so I better not take my handgun with me to dinner just north of the Mason-Dixon line.

It’s easy to see how a law-abiding person with a carry permit could easily make a mistake while trying to navigate all these different state laws. As this is a constitutional right, the onus should be on the government, not the citizen.

The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act allows a qualified individual to carry a concealed handgun in any other state. The bill says the person must be eligible to possess a gun under federal law, meaning that he or she is not a felon, dangerously mentally ill, a domestic abuser or any of the other disqualifying factors for having a gun.

The bill specifies that a person carrying a concealed gun must have valid photo identification on hand. Also, the person has to have either a valid concealed carry permit or be eligible to carry concealed in his or her state of residence if the state has “constitutional carry” (which means it doesn’t require permits for law-abiding citizens).

A key addition to this bill from previous versions is that if the gun carrier is arrested and charged for carrying in another state, but then found innocent because of this law, the state pays the defendant’s legal fees and the defendant has the right to bring a civil action for damages.

This section is necessary because states like New Jersey and New York are notorious for arresting people who are lawfully transporting guns and pressing charges, which are later dropped based on federal transport laws, while the defendant is responsible for the legal fees, lost wages and expenses.

Whatever happened to states rights. The federal government cannot force states to do this. This should be overturned by the courts if it passes.

Whatever happened to states rights. The federal government cannot force states to do this. This should be overturned by the courts if it passes.

No....the Right to Bear arms is a Right....and these states are violating the Right......just like when the democrats kept slaves, or when the democrats kept blacks from voting by using poll taxes and literacy tests, the Federal government stepped in to stop the democrats....

No....the Right to Bear arms is a Right....and these states are violating the Right......just like when the democrats kept slaves, or when the democrats kept blacks from voting by using poll taxes and literacy tests, the Federal government stepped in to stop the democrats....

They are not violating any rights. Each state has a right to regulate concealed weapons as they see fit.

--LOL

state rights really

--LOL

state rights got thrown out the window

when the 17th amendment was ratified

If the concealed carry reciprocity bill doesn't make it they should pass a bill making any state denying concealed carry permits from other states financially responsible for any crime that happens to those denied.

They are not violating any rights. Each state has a right to regulate concealed weapons as they see fit.

Yeah....no. When they make it impossible for normal, law abiding people to carry a gun for self defense, they are violating the Civil Rights of those people...

Ok then you shouldn’t be able to drive state to state, unless you got a drivers license issued from that state

“But but, that’s different, I only care about states rights when it benefits my cause...like when states wanted to increase their own border security under Obama, im against states rights and all for the feds enumerated powers, but when it comes to sanctuary cities, boo fed go states.”

Why do you want to empower criminals and want to restrict the law abiding? I mean I know why, I just want to hear you say it.

Forum List

Back