Ellison Takes Back Promised Donation To Harvard

Discussion in 'Education' started by Annie, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I hope pushing Summers out was worth it:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/06/28/BUGN5JKN8T17.DTL

2. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Havard is worth nearly $30 billion. Their endowment is the largest in the world, and nearly twice the size of the nearest comer, Yale (approx. $15 billion). This certainly doesn't help them, but they'll survive.

3. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Also, I think Harvard is about to start a $2 billion capital campaignto fund all the changes they're about to start.

4. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    This is what happens when you libs act like vindictive little "truth-o-phobes".

5. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    What? Continue with their plans to build a new science center, improve student life, and expand the faculty?

But yes, Harvard was so angry they decided to spite Ellison by raising 115 million dollars in the time it takes you to brush your teeth.

6. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511

You're having comprehension trouble. I'm saying when you act spitefully towards anyone who disagrees with doctrinnaire liberalism, you will lose funds.

7. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Mr. Conley,

While I agree with you that Harvard will not be reduced to bake sales just yet...I'm a bit troubled by the attitude you've chosen to take about the fact that someone felt so strongly about Summers resignation that he would walk away from a University he was previously willing to support to the tune of 115 million dollars. You seem to be saying - oh well, Harvards going to be more than fine...haha to the losers who thought that removing 115 million dollars would make a difference, it won't - Harvard wins.

Should I take this to mean that you agree Summers should have stepped down (or are at least aren't concerned that he did) for daring to suggest that there might be, not is, but might be, a biological reason why more men take an interest in science and mathematics than women? Do you feel that a person in our society should be shamed and forced to leave his position for forwarding a hypothesis that people have been discussing for ages? Is it scholarly to blacklist someone for advancing a theory? Afterall, he didn't alter school policy, he didn't forbid girls from taking biology and calculus...he simply stated there could be a myriad of reasons why more women don't come forward for math and science positions...lets try to figure out why. And for that...he was driven out of his position.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out if you are so seemingly smug about the fact that Ellison's lack of donation won't hurt Harvard simply because you want people here to realize that 115 million isn't that big of a deal...or if you really don't care about the fact that one of them most respected educational institutions on the planet just forced out their President for the horrible offense of voicing an unpopular opinion.

8. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Harvard always wins (except in football). :)
    Nope, you've got it wrong. I wanted Summers to stay. He really started the Allston development, got the curricular review going, invested in undergraduate life and teaching, and worked to improve the college in every way, and he was fast about it. It's really rather sad, he was forced out right before all the changes he started bore fruit. The curricular review, a three year, once in a generation process, just finished, a new student center, cafe, and pub are about to be constructed, and the Undergraduate Life Fund just started accepting donations. Next year all the changes will really come into effect. I'm sorry he won't be President when it all comes together (Summers will still be here, he's going to start teaching economics, I'm hoping to get him as a teacher this year or the next).
    Aaahhh... that whole bit. You don't know the whole story then do you? First off, you have to realize that the Faculty of Arts and Sciences didn't push Summers out. The FAS is just one part of the university. There is the administration, the governing body, the graduate schools, the professional schools, and the students. The FAS is only one part of the overall university, and doesn't have the power to oust the President of the university. The group that actually pushed Summers out was the Harvard Corporation. The Harvard Corporation has the real power on campus, and they didn't push Summers out over those comments. The real reasons that the corporation kicked Summers out are multitude. First, a close economist friend of Summers is being investigated for defrauding the univeristy of 20 million dollars and using the money to illegally invest in Russia. While he hasn't been convicted, it seemed that Summers might have assisted him. Would that information look good on the front page? Second, Summers was bad with the faculty, and not just the FAS, even the people at the graduate and professional schools disliked summers. One of the most important jobs of a university is to keep the boat steady. Instead, Summers was rocking it more than anyone. I've had some personal experience with Summers, and I have to admit that he came off as a bit of an ass. Third, Summers forced out Dean Kirby. That was a very, very, very, bad move on Summers part. I won't get into it now, but it was bad, and I think Kirby's ouster was the straw that broke the Harvard Corporation's back. Also, the media attention, regardless of whether Summers was right or wrong, his actions were drawing bad media attention to the school. Harvard is as much a brand name as an educational institution, and Summers was hurting that brand. If he messing up at the rate he was, then pretty soon people were going to be snuffing Harvard for Yale, or even Princeton. That would have been pathetic. Summers was a bad media draw, and forcing him out got rid of the bad press bandwagon.

9. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Mr. Conley,

It isn't surprising that there are a lot of reasons for Summers ousting (and lets not get involved in silly word games...a forced resignation IS an ousting)...thanks for filling me in on some of them. However, my question still stands.

Aren't you upset about the fact that the "final straw" as it seems, was the fact that he voiced an opinion? I mean, surely with all of these allegations and rumors surrounding him the board could have asked him, hinted to him, etc. that they wanted him out or they would have to go public with the problems...instead of basing this on allegations of fraud or incompetence....they "lucked out" with the issue of an unpopular opinion.

Personally, I have no stake or great interest in Harvard politics...if Summers was an ass who possibly aided in fraud then he should be out...and possibly in jail...

What I do have a great interest in, however, is the fact that what finally pushed the Harvard Corporation overboard...what finally got media attention...what got the Harvard liberal academia up in arms...what that he expressed that maybe, JUST maybe...men and women have inherent differences. For that, he received condemnation and hysterics from the so-called professionals at the school....and the Harvard Corporation obviously rubbed their hands together with glee that they finally had a media-grabbing headline they could use.

Aren't you bothered by that? By the fact that the media-grabbing, ousting-worthy headline was a person expressing the need for the college to engage in scholarly studies about why there were more men involved in math and sciences than women...and that perhaps there was a biological reason behind it...but that they would have to investigate to determine the realy reason....you know...scholarly research...the stuff that universities are supposed to engage in? Instead of this, we had female professors stating that they very thought of inherent differences between men and women made them feel dizzy, like they might pass out or throw up. Um....how....masculine and tough of them...to need a fainting couch when someone states and opinion they dislike....

Again, thanks for filling us in on the "inside scoop," but I'm still a bit concerned that you seem more interested in the fact that Summers was an ass who should be ousted (which I really don't care about) and less interested in the fact that our society feels it was ok to oust someone because they voiced an unpopular opinion - and not even stating that they believed it...but simply that it was an option.

You could tell me that Summers was approached by the Harvard Corp. and told to say something shocking and then resign to avoid scandal. I really wouldn't care...what I WOULD care about and DO care about...it that our society finds it acceptable that a college president should resign for forwarded one possible hypothesis to a problem...and suggesting that we look into all possible reasons.

10. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    "Those grapes were sour."