Eli Wallach passed away at 98!

Sallow

The Big Bad Wolf.
Oct 4, 2010
New York City
One of my favorite character actors Eli Wallach of "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" fame died yesterday. This guy was a true virtuoso of the bad guy!

Eli Wallach, 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' Star, Dies at 98 - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gvk6Ezyj3M

(CNN) -- Eli Wallach, whose long acting career included performances in "The Magnificent Seven," "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly," "The Godfather Part III" and "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps," has died. He was 98.

Wallach died Tuesday night. A family member confirmed his death to CNN.

Wallach was long one of Hollywood's favorite character actors, giving his parts -- often villains, mobsters or shopkeepers -- an added touch of menace with his gravelly voice. In "The Magnificent Seven" and "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" -- two key '60s Westerns -- he played bandits.
Eli Wallach of 'Magnificent Seven' dies - CNN.com

One of the greats.

One of my favorite character actors Eli Wallach of "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" fame died yesterday. This guy was a true virtuoso of the bad guy!

(CNN) -- Eli Wallach, whose long acting career included performances in "The Magnificent Seven," "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly," "The Godfather Part III" and "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps," has died. He was 98.

Wallach was long one of Hollywood's favorite character actors, giving his parts -- often villains, mobsters or shopkeepers -- an added touch of menace with his gravelly voice. In "The Magnificent Seven" and "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" -- two key '60s Westerns -- he played bandits.

One of the greats.

Never thought I ever agree with you, Sallow, but this time I do!

Rest in peace, Mr. Wallach, you were never a "bad guy" in my eyes.

One of the greats.

Yep. One of the greats. But he turned down the part offered him in Once Upon a Time in the West, one of the greatest westerns of all time, because his character would have been killed in the opening sequence and because he was also offered a bigger role in Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch, another classic. Sergio offered to shoot that sequence at Wallach's convenience so the latter could do both films explaining that the killing off of name stars in the opening sequence would immortalize the film and Wallach's character. Sergio was right. Oh how I wish Wallach had stood alongside the other greats Woody Strode and Jack Elam in that sequence. The third heavy facing off with Charles Bronson . . . no one remembers precisely because it wasn't Wallach whose antics during the tension shots building up to the standoff would have been emphasized as well. In fact, it's Wallach's absence in the opening sequence that makes Once Upon a Time in the West just shy of perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:

One of the greats.

I remember not long after the Good, the bad, and the Ugly movie came out Politicians were named that. I think it was Kennedy(bobbie), Nixon, and Humphrey, in that order of good, bad, and ugly.
Today? Maybe Obama, Boehner, and certainly Mc Connel in that order of good, bad, and ugly.

One of the greats.

Angel eyes was the bad. Tuco was the ugly.

Wallach bought his "A" game to every role he played.

While he may have done some bad movies? He was never bad in them.

I can't decide whether my favorite Eli Wallach character was Tuco in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, or his role as Calvera in The Magnificent Seven.

Eli Herschel Wallach

Wallach was born in Red Hook, Brooklyn, at 156 Union St., a son of Jewish immigrants Abraham and Bertha (Schorr) Wallach, both from Poland. He had a brother and two sisters

Wallach died on June 24, 2014, in New York, aged 98, and is survived by his wife of 66 years, three children, five grandchildren and several great-grandchildren

Eli Herschel Wallach

Wallach was born in Red Hook, Brooklyn, at 156 Union St., a son of Jewish immigrants Abraham and Bertha (Schorr) Wallach, both from Poland. He had a brother and two sisters

Wallach died on June 24, 2014, in New York, aged 98, and is survived by his wife of 66 years, three children, five grandchildren and several great-grandchildren

Some of the top film and stage stars are Jewish

List of Jewish American entertainers

List of Jewish American entertainers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eli Herschel Wallach

Sounds like he had a full life.

It also appears he was still working as an actor until 2010, which impresses the hell out of me.

One of the greats.

Angel eyes was the bad. Tuco was the ugly.

His line at the end of the scene was classic.

"I'm alive you bastards, and I always will be!"

What better last words for a consummate screen actor?

EDIT: And the scene where he refrains from eating the soup for fear it is poisoned, until Angel Eyes samples it first, reminds me of the scene in the Godfather III where he refrains from eating the pastries Connie brought him at the opera, until she samples it first in his presence, to show him it isn't poisoned.

Coppola did a neat thing with that tip of the cap to Wallach's old work.

If you have never seen the Misfits with Clark Gable, Marylyn Monroe, and Eli, check it out. Great movie. Rip Eli

One of the greats.

Will you remember this two years from now? :dunno:

Forum List

Back