Elephant

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
I have no doubt that most people reading this will probably hate this movie. Still, I think you all should watch it.

The movie involves a school shooting that clearly resembles the Columbine massacre. However, the film offers no insights, no explanations for the killers' actions, no catharsis for the viewer. The writer/director Gus Van Sant is making a statement that is likely to piss off more than a few viewers: there is no answer to this problem.

The movie itself simply follows a bunch of high school students as they go about their daily lives. And I mean that as literally as possible. Probably 1/4 of the film involves kids simply walking down school halls, saying hi to friends, etc. It's just an average day which suddenly explodes into unspeakable tragedy.

The film left me feeling sort of angry and definitely disturbed, and I think that's the point. About 3/4 of the way through the movie, as the shootings are taking place, we are introduced to a tall, confident man named Benny. He walks down the hall, sneaking up on one of the gunmen, whose back is turned. Anyone who has ever seen a movie before thinks they know that Benny is the hero of the movie. But, it doesn't work out that way. Likable characters are murdered for no reason, other characters make it out alive, again for no real reason. It's all so real it's very disturbing. Especially in light of the fact that it's more or less based on a true story.

I think it goes without saying that the film is at times horrifying and very disturbing, but I think it's the sort of thing people should see if only to keep the memory of what happened at Columbine alive in everyone's minds, because it's something that should never be forgotten.

Forum List

Back