Electric vehicles, future development and the 2016 election

Wry Catcher

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Today the auto industry is running fast to compete in electric car development. Such competition is spurred on by the Federal Government's, "rules mandating lower carbon emissions and greater fuel economy". The next POTUS will have an opportunity to keep the pedal to the metal in future development or kill it when the window opens in 2017 to change the standards.

Thus we an assume the election of a Republican will increase the odds by tens that the government will set aside the current rules and set back the R&D by a decade or more.

A second consideration is the motivation of OPEC to reduce the cost of a barrel of oil. Is this an effort to manipulate the politics by allowing a Republican Administration to push for a change, as the cost of gas has been going down, as the number of alternative vehicles has increased.

If so, can we expect the costs of that gallon to rise once the rules are changed?

Food for thought.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/13/business/automakers-keep-rolling-out-electric-vehicles.html?_r=0

Electric cars are far more destructive to our environment than fossil fuel vehicles are over the vehicles life time.. Time to pull subsidies from all green products and let the free market determine where we go. Time for the power hungry fear mongers to get the boot!

• Banned
Electric cars are far more destructive to our environment than fossil fuel vehicles are over the vehicles life time.. Time to pull subsidies from all green products and let the free market determine where we go. Time for the power hungry fear mongers to get the boot!

Thanks for sharing your opinion, sans facts. That tells the reader everything they need to know about you.

Does your lap top have a battery, does your cell phone? Does your car have a battery, a catalytic converter and tires? How about its interior, how toxic are the chemicals used to produce the seats and dash? Before you get too self righteous, check this out:

HealthyStuff.org Researching Toxic Chemicals in Everyday Products

• Banned

Well billy_bob it appears you're one more of the parrots who echoes RW Bullshit and has not a clue.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, sans facts. That tells the reader everything they need to know about you.

Does your lap top have a battery, does your cell phone? Does your car have a battery, a catalytic converter and tires? How about its interior, how toxic are the chemicals used to produce the seats and dash? Before you get too self righteous, check this out:

HealthyStuff.org Researching Toxic Chemicals in Everyday Products
what does this have to do with the statement that was made by Billy? hmmmmmm? Or are you another that likes to merely post stupid?

Just Crazy, Billy Boob, how about some links to credible sites backing your assertation? Or are you merely satified to repeat a ridicoulous lie one more time?

Just Crazy, Billy Boob, how about some links to credible sites backing your assertation? Or are you merely satified to repeat a ridicoulous lie one more time?
why, because you can't find any that proves it wrong? It's amazing. Skooks, More winning my friend!!!! Skooks the old adage from these fools, I can't find anything to counter with so you provide more information. It's funny. WiNNiNg

Sorry boys and girld but until some compay can show the majority of us an electric car which......

1. Can perform as well or better than our current ICE vehicles in terms of speed, range, hauling power, etc....
2. Meet the same or lower price point than our current ICE vehicles
3. Cost no more to maintain than our current ICE vehicles
4. Not require special charging/parking stations which are not readily available.

Electric cars will be nothing more than a token in the marketplace.

I own a Volt, I do have concerns about electric cars. I bought a 2013 and it runs nice, in cold weather it is not as fuel efficient as the engine kicks in to keep the heater going. I wonder how it affect the Tesla and its performance.

For commuting the Volt is a good car. It has a lot of power. In the snow and ice it has good traction as the electric won't limits the spinning of tires. In the summer moving around town I get 200 plus per gallon in the winter, depending on how cold it gets I get 100.

Longer trips I'd prefer a more comfortable car.

Sorry boys and girld but until some compay can show the majority of us an electric car which......

1. Can perform as well or better than our current ICE vehicles in terms of speed, range, hauling power, etc....
2. Meet the same or lower price point than our current ICE vehicles
3. Cost no more to maintain than our current ICE vehicles
4. Not require special charging/parking stations which are not readily available.

Electric cars will be nothing more than a token in the marketplace.

With the gas prices coming down it is definitely not cost effective to own an electric car at their current prices.

1. Performance. An electric motor develops max torque at 0 rpm. So EV's can beat the socks of of ICE's in performance. And still be docile and quiet on the road.

Hauling power. The Teslas, designed specifically as EV's and taking advantage of that, have far more luggage and people room than ICE's of the same dimensions.

Range. This one still goes to the ICE's. For the present. They have made, in the lab, batteries that have 4 times the storage capacity of the Tesla battery pack. That would give the Tesla over a thousand miles of range. Only a matter of time until the ICE's come in a distant second on this, also.

2. Since the cost of an automobile also includes the cost of fuel to run it, if the EV costs 20% more than a ICE, it is still the cheaper vehicle. At present, the ICE's still beat the EV's on initial cost. Except for the Tesla. A comparable sports sedan from Mercedes or BMW will cost as much or more than the Tesla.

3. Already well past that. An EV has far fewer moving parts. And no need for oil changes. At present, the EV is far cheaper on maintenance than an ICE.

4. Every day, there are more and more electric charging stations, everywhere from parking garages to grocery stores. And Tesla has a coast to coast series of Supercharging stations, as well as many smaller chargers at motels and hotels.

LOL....this may well be the "STOPIDEST THREAD OF THE YEAR" but if not, definitely up for a nomination for this forum!!

Electric vehicles are a joke in America.:2up: They sell a smidge over 100,000 a year......meanwhile, Americans buy well over 1 million trucks a years :eek-52:alone :eek-52:forget about cars.:ack-1:

Anybody who wants the real poop on electric vehicle sales over the past few years needs to check out THIS >>>

Electric Vehicle sales are sucking!!!

Scores of links, tables, links and graphs. Decimates the fantasies of the green k00ks.......its all in the above thread!!:funnyface:

PS......in CONSUMER REPORTS magazine, the Tesla got one of the worst reliability ratings in the history of the magazine!!!! Gotta have full disclosure here.........the progressives always want to hide all the poop!!:eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

LAUGH................MY.................BALLS....................OFF

Heres the sales figures for 2016 so far............scroll down and check Tesla sales compared to other makes!!! But don't have a mouth full off coffee when you view it or you'll spit the bit on your monitor like I did!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Monthly Sales Table -- Automotive News

:blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup:

Making progressives look stoopid is an absolute rip!!!!!!! Ive made a virtual living out of it!!:banana::boobies::boobies::boobies:

I will say..........it is fascinating that progressives don't give a wit about being made to look incredibly dumb!!! Have always contended though, many of these people are indeed social oddballs which does explain quite a bit.:up:

why, because you can't find any that proves it wrong? It's amazing. Skooks, More winning my friend!!!! Skooks the old adage from these fools, I can't find anything to counter with so you provide more information. It's funny. WiNNiNg

Hey JC....click on that sales figure link above. Scroll down to Tesla..........get back to me on your reaction bro........:rock::rock:

Almost 300,000 customers have placed a $1,000 down payment for Tesla's low-cost five-seater.

The car will be released next year, with deliveries expected to take place in autumn or winter.

The basic model will start at $35,000 (£24,500) and has a minimum range of 215 miles (346km) on a single charge.

Tesla boss Elon Musk tweeted that 276,000 pre-orders have been received, which could net his firm up to $10bn on completion.

Demand is so high that it may be hard for Tesla to keep up with production - Mr Musk said the company is "definitely going to need to rethink production planning".

Tesla hopes that around 500,000 vehicles a year can be manufactured once production is at full capacity.

Last year Tesla delivered just over 50,000 vehicles, most of which were its Model S saloon car.

Tesla Model 3 Pre-Orders Point To $10bn Sales

My goodness, looks like Elon Musk has done it again. GM may have some competition by 2020.

Almost 300,000 customers have placed a $1,000 down payment for Tesla's low-cost five-seater.

The car will be released next year, with deliveries expected to take place in autumn or winter.

The basic model will start at $35,000 (£24,500) and has a minimum range of 215 miles (346km) on a single charge.

Tesla boss Elon Musk tweeted that 276,000 pre-orders have been received, which could net his firm up to $10bn on completion.

Demand is so high that it may be hard for Tesla to keep up with production - Mr Musk said the company is "definitely going to need to rethink production planning".

Tesla hopes that around 500,000 vehicles a year can be manufactured once production is at full capacity.

Last year Tesla delivered just over 50,000 vehicles, most of which were its Model S saloon car.

Tesla Model 3 Pre-Orders Point To $10bn Sales

My goodness, looks like Elon Musk has done it again. GM may have some competition by 2020.

meh.......not a single car has been delivered!!

You are looking at a car that is going to have a price in the low 40K range. Of course you are going to see niche buyers in this segment, most of whom are motivated to make a statement ( like most Prius drivers ). After that, you wont get much interest. People who are overzealous on the environment never quite do understand the thinking of Americans when it comes to cars. This is not Europe as much as the environmentalists want it to be!! And another practical matter that will be just a bit important to Americans: reliability. Historically, Tesla models rate "much worse than average" in Consumer Reports magazine.......in fact, right now, Tesla has the worst rating for reliability OF ANY CAR SOLD IM AMERICA:ack-1:

Environmental people got all giddy when Harley Davidson started selling electric bikes........said it would be the wave of the future. They've sold about 9 of them. Anybody with feet planted firmly on the ground know that Harley drivers aren't going to be driving silent bikes........c'mon now. duh.

Forum List

Back