Effect of higher drinking age?

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
ScienceDaily (June 23, 2009) — New research from Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis has found substantial reductions in binge drinking since the national drinking age was set at 21 two decades ago, with one exception: college students. The rates of binge drinking in male collegians remain unchanged, but the rates in female collegians have increased dramatically.

Young men account for the majority of binge drinkers, and their rates have dropped substantially since 1979. ....

In women ages 15 to 20 on the other hand, binge drinking was statistically unchanged since 1979. For women 21 to 23, binge drinking rose by about 40 percent.
Of course, one wonders what other factors might be involved

Higher Drinking Age Linked To Less Binge Drinking -- Except In College Students

I think they should lower the drinking age and raise the driving age. It works in Europe where they have lower percentages of binge drinking and DUI's.

ScienceDaily (June 23, 2009) — New research from Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis has found substantial reductions in binge drinking since the national drinking age was set at 21 two decades ago, with one exception: college students. The rates of binge drinking in male collegians remain unchanged, but the rates in female collegians have increased dramatically.

Young men account for the majority of binge drinkers, and their rates have dropped substantially since 1979. ....

In women ages 15 to 20 on the other hand, binge drinking was statistically unchanged since 1979. For women 21 to 23, binge drinking rose by about 40 percent.
Of course, one wonders what other factors might be involved

Higher Drinking Age Linked To Less Binge Drinking -- Except In College Students

The information, as written, is contradictory, unless of course they are saying that female collegians are typically between the ages of 21 to 23. Presuming that you read the entire article that you've provided these selected quotes from, was there an equivalent breakdown by age category for males? The age group reported for female collegians as having "increased dramatically" would be grad students.

Since you "wonder" about "other factors", the missing data may be helpful in making a determination and/or providing an opinion.

The outcome of raising the drinking age will be more fine for the municipalities.

Exactly as it's working out now that they fine teenagers for smoking.

And that's the really the primary reason to do it, too.

Last edited:
The outcome of raising the drinking age will be more fine for the municipalities.

Exactly as it's working out now that they fine teenagers for smoking.

And that's the really the primary reason to do it, too, so I guess you might decide this is a good idea.

Where did you get the info that teens are fined for smoking? Link?

The establishment owners who are caught SELLING to those underage are fined, and repeat offenders may have their license to sell tobacco products revoked here.

The information, as written, is contradictory, unless of course they are saying that female collegians are typically between the ages of 21 to 23. Presuming that you read the entire article that you've provided these selected quotes from, was there an equivalent breakdown by age category for males? The age group reported for female collegians as having "increased dramatically" would be grad students.

Since you "wonder" about "other factors", the missing data may be helpful in making a determination and/or providing an opinion.

Well, 21 year olds and 22 year olds are usually are usually in their 3rd year and 4th year, respectively, of their undergraduate study. And the 23 year olds are those who are so stupid they drank themselves retarded while in college and forced daddy to pay for an additional year. As to the idea there has been a rise in binge drinking over the past 20 some years I do not know. However, it is undeniable that there is a culture amoungst college kids of drinking.

I think that there should be no drinking age. If children were taught how to drink responsibly, I think that people would be more responsible about drinking.

I think that there should be no drinking age. If children were taught how to drink responsibly, I think that people would be more responsible about drinking.

I agree somewhat. In European countries where they can drink at a younger age they tend show more responsiblity when it comes to drinking.

George Washington and Thomas Jefferson would die a second death if they realized America even had a "drinking age"... or laws against Mary Jane or even "that old meth".

Although I do not smoke or drink... I have a hard time coming to grips with any law that "protects me from my self". If my neighbor wants to ruin his life with heroine why should my government take the money I worked hard to earn in order to "reform" him.

People should be free to make any kind of stupid decision they want to... So long as it only effects themselves........... Just my two cents!

George Washington and Thomas Jefferson would die a second death if they realized America even had a "drinking age"... or laws against Mary Jane or even "that old meth".

Although I do not smoke or drink... I have a hard time coming to grips with any law that "protects me from my self". If my neighbor wants to ruin his life with heroine why should my government take the money I worked hard to earn in order to "reform" him.

People should be free to make any kind of stupid decision they want to... So long as it only effects themselves........... Just my two cents!

I agree about the drinking and pot.

But heroin...I could care less about the individual in that case. That shit is dangerous for society.

Well, 21 year olds and 22 year olds are usually are usually in their 3rd year and 4th year, respectively, of their undergraduate study. And the 23 year olds are those who are so stupid they drank themselves retarded while in college and forced daddy to pay for an additional year. As to the idea there has been a rise in binge drinking over the past 20 some years I do not know. However, it is undeniable that there is a culture amoungst college kids of drinking.

What percentage would you say begin their freshman year at age 18 vs. those that begin at age 17 and, therefore, complete their senior year at age 22 vs. age 21? Better yet, provide statistics. I promise not to skew the sampling by including my 18-yr old who just completed his freshman year....

There wasn't an argument here that binge drinking doesn't occur among college kids -- only on the information provided, which definitely appears skewed to me.

age of consent: 16

join the military: 18

smoke a cigarette: 18

all three of these are life changing decisions.

why should alcohol be 21?

Can't legally purchase tobacco products in NJ until the age of 19. Like that one?

i feel when you graduate high school....and turn 18....your there....

Might as well throw gambling in there too, then -- that would include the lotteries. And if we're going to legislate behavior, why not enforce one standard driving age? And let's not forget to have a cut-off point at which time driving must be heavily regulated to ensure the safety of the public.

Okay... Off the soapbox... As for the "legal age", if a parent is no longer legally responsible for their child's behavior at the age of 18, should they not be permitted to make any/all decisions on their own?

FWIW, the way many states have worded their laws purchase is what's prohibited not consumption.

FWIW, the way many states have worded their laws purchase is what's prohibited not consumption.

There was a definite lack of response to this :lol:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/80717-effect-of-higher-drinking-age.html#post1314783

I'm sure you see the problem, however. If binge drinking occurs among college youth, primarily "under age" per the law, then someone else is doing the purchasing for them. Now, in the case of other crimes, i.e. murder or theft, that person would be charged as an accessory or a co-conspirator. Shouldn't these persons, who sometimes contribute to the death of another, be held responsible?

Might as well throw gambling in there too, then -- that would include the lotteries. And if we're going to legislate behavior, why not enforce one standard driving age? And let's not forget to have a cut-off point at which time driving must be heavily regulated to ensure the safety of the public.

Okay... Off the soapbox... As for the "legal age", if a parent is no longer legally responsible for their child's behavior at the age of 18, should they not be permitted to make any/all decisions on their own?

in california the lotto is 18...

and yes to your legal age question....if you are old enough to go fight a war....your old enough.....

Forum List

Back