Education's Greatest Crime!

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
What happens when the 'best and the brightest' are fed into the Liberal monasteries, our universities?
Do they understand that they are being given only one side of the story?
Do they seek alternative viewpoints?
Hardly.

Here is a recent article from the Columbia University newspaper, wherein one of the brightest almost.....almost....grasps what is happening.

1. "I am not conservative by any stretch of the imagination. Every fall break I have gone to campaign for liberal causes, and as an underclassman I was on the board of the Columbia University Democrats. But the more time I spend in class the more sympathy I have for conservatives... for the position they have in public discourse at Columbia.

[What? The the 'fairness' wasn't beaten out of him in previous government schools???
Must be time for the 're-education camp.']

2. .... in my classes it is taken for granted that the set of liberal positions is a list of objective truths. I don’t think it is funny when professors crack jokes about the IQs of Republicans.... the stereotype of the Ivy League as a circle-jerk of liberalism at worst.

3. It is not that professors collect empirical evidence to support liberal claims that makes the world sneer at places like Columbia. It is the self-righteous attitude, the certainty of conviction....

[Sounds like a lot of the dunces at USMB.....]

4. .... an institution whose purpose is to foster doubt and balanced discourse and critical thinking.... all of the reading is on one side of the political spectrum. In fact, in many cases, I am not really sure what the spectrum of opinion on a topic is, because I have only been exposed to a single part of it.

[He's beginning to get the idea: There cannot be critical thinking without balanced discourse.]

5. .... universities are places where professors can espouse their beliefs. I recognize that tenure is meant to protect professors’ ability to maintain opinion. But it should not be the case that students feel uncomfortable voicing dissent because of the tone a professor has set.

[Did you know that 'tenure' itself is a Liberal idea?]

6. In my classes almost nobody makes conservative comments, which leads me to wonder whether Columbia actually has no conservatives or whether they don’t feel comfortable enough discussing their opinions in public. I don’t know which is more disturbing.... we should respect whatever diversity of opinion we have on campus instead of making jokes about how President Bush couldn’t pronounce “nuclear” properly.

7. .... my professor has an agenda so apparent that it stifles the ability of the student to make judgments or suppresses his or her comfort when it comes to bringing up issues.
8. .... it is the responsibility of academics to foster a tone that is conducive to learning and—just as important—to debate." There's no right answer | Columbia Daily Spectator

The author of the above gave indubitable proof of the slanted 'teaching' at the university, during a radio interview:

Interviewer: "Are you familiar with Cornell West?"
Goldwasser: "Yes."

Interviewer: "Are you familiar with Thomas Sowell?"
Goldwasser: "No."

WHAT?????

Totally familiar with a Leftist dolt like Cornell West....

...but not even a passing recognition of one of the most brilliant conservative economists????

Columbia??

Arguably the finest school in the nation????

It's indoctrination, not education. It is a crime....the murder of cerebration.
One need be a special kind of intellect to see what is happening....and then break free.
Mr. Jake Goldwasser has quite a distance to go....

LOL. There you have it, folks, no 'Conservative' should ever go beyond the third grade. Easy to see most of them posting here have abided by that.

Well, this ol' Lib is back in a University at the grand young age of 70. And I have seen everything politically from LaRouchies to Marxists vending their wares. And the response by most there is about the same for each. Laughter.

However, you don't get much political education in Sciences and math. Except, of course, you quickly find out that far too few politicians, and their sycophants, have the faintest idea about what science is. As you have amply demonstrated many times over, people that live in a poltical world seem to think that physical laws are repealable.

So, you don't like education or reality. That's fine, have another toke and be happy. In the meantime, those of us in touch with reality will do the heavy lifting.

LOL. There you have it, folks, no 'Conservative' should ever go beyond the third grade. Easy to see most of them posting here have abided by that.

Well, this ol' Lib is back in a University at the grand young age of 70. And I have seen everything politically from LaRouchies to Marxists vending their wares. And the response by most there is about the same for each. Laughter.

However, you don't get much political education in Sciences and math. Except, of course, you quickly find out that far too few politicians, and their sycophants, have the faintest idea about what science is. As you have amply demonstrated many times over, people that live in a poltical world seem to think that physical laws are repealable.

So, you don't like education or reality. That's fine, have another toke and be happy. In the meantime, those of us in touch with reality will do the heavy lifting.

1. " There you have it, folks, no 'Conservative' should ever go beyond the third grade."
Why must everything be spoon-fed, and re-explained to folks like you, Rocks?

Of course, the OP says no such thing.

It says that some, more intelligent than you, perhaps, are awakening, and seeing that Liberal control of schools is deadly to actual learning.

Get it?

2. "...this ol' Lib is back in a University at the grand young age of 70."
God bless...and many more to you.
Based on my respect for your age, I'll try not to give you the spanking you deserve.

3. "And I have seen everything politically from LaRouchies to Marxists vending their wares."
Surely you don't believe that this witness-testimony is any way a denial of Mr. Goldwasser's assertions about Liberal ownership of the universities....do you?

Please don't claim otherwise....as I will have to make you look....ignorant.

4. "However, you don't get much political education in Sciences and math."
Au contraire: what do you think Darwinism is?
And global warming?

5. "As you have amply demonstrated many times over, people that live in a poltical world seem to think that physical laws are repealable (sic)."

What????

Perhaps you should consider a few English writing courses....

6. "So, you don't like education or reality."

OK...I'm gonna try to help you out here, based on your advanced years....
The "So" suggests that you have proven some imagined dislike for either education or reality on my part.
You have done neither....in effect, you have made yourself look dishonest at best, and stupid at worst.
Don't do it again.

What I have done is given the testimony of a student at Columbia who is sick and tired of the Liberal indoctrination that you have no trouble in swallowing.

You see, Mr. Goldwasser is suggesting that he would like an actual education....

....unlike you, who simply wants to feel the warm embrace of the Liberal mob, and will say anything to maintain that embrace.

True?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the author of this thread go to Columbia?

Guilty as charged.

And...I can bespeak Mr. Goldwasser's veracity on this subject.
BTW...I have never met Mr. Goldwasser.

And...my sister attended another IVY...and the same is true there...or is that 'heresay'?

Guilty as charged.

And...my sister attended another IVY...and the same is true there...or is that 'heresay'?

1. If Columbia is such a horrible university, why did you choose to go there?

2. Does going to Columbia explain why are you are such a terrible debater, or was that something that even a great university like Columbia couldn't fix,

given the raw materials it had to work with?

My first degree is in History. History, as a discipline, is by and large chockfull of screaming leftists complete with posters of Che in the hallways, the occasional photo of Marx in an office, so on and so forth. Classroom discussion can range from slightly biased to full on leftist propaganda.

Here's the key to surviving that for four years:

1) Don't care what the professors say and have your own opinions.
2) Just regurgitate what they say on test day and in papers.

I'm in the same situation as you except I'm not as old. I went back to college because I dropped out years ago even though I was close to a degree and I was also ticked off at myself for not staying in school until I was done. I've seen the same things you have, I see the whole political spectrum represented on campus but I don't get a lot of political lecturing in class. It's funny reading what some people think college is like and then seeing what it's really like...which is not really that much different from how it was years ago when I was first there. The only difference I've noticed from a political viewpoint is that when politics is brought up the preferred system seems to me to be fascism although it's not referred to by that name and those instances are rare anyway so not much weight can be assigned to that.

The author of the above gave indubitable proof of the slanted 'teaching' at the university, during a radio interview:

Interviewer: "Are you familiar with Cornell West?"
Goldwasser: "Yes."

Interviewer: "Are you familiar with Thomas Sowell?"
Goldwasser: "No."

WHAT?????

Really? That's the proof? :lol:

PC, your thread made me think of a trailer I saw a while ago that looks interesting. It will be out in spirng 2014, and I plan on watching it.. ;) My husband works at a university and I have a son attending in his sophmore year. If people think these kids aren't forced to comply to certain political and religious progaganda so they get a decent grade, then you're completely naive. It may not be as blatant as what this film is showing, but the undercurrents are defijnitely there.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMjo5f9eiX8]God's Not Dead | Official Full Movie Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

There's a dirty little secret about college. Most of the people in academia don't really do anything. They write and talk about what people do. Most of them have no outside experience, have never held a real job in their industry, and they know it. It make more sense when you realize that they live in a world of ideas without the practical outcomes that come with their thoughts and deep down, they know it.

So the solution isn't to call them out because they feel like martyrs to their causes. The solution is to allow them their little fiefdoms and their bloviating tirades about whatever and just nod and put it right back on paper. Get the class done, get the degree, get a job, and do something. Let them talk while you do.

There's a dirty little secret about college. Most of the people in academia don't really do anything. They write and talk about what people do. Most of them have no outside experience, have never held a real job in their industry, and they know it. It make more sense when you realize that they live in a world of ideas without the practical outcomes that come with their thoughts and deep down, they know it.

So the solution isn't to call them out because they feel like martyrs to their causes. The solution is to allow them their little fiefdoms and their bloviating tirades about whatever and just nod and put it right back on paper. Get the class done, get the degree, get a job, and do something. Let them talk while you do.

They've created a very protected little world. I know some of the best profs that I had were the ones that didn't hold PhD's and had worked in the real world for a number of years. Shortly after I graduated, they removed any prof that did not have their PhD, and many of the ones that I thought were excellent teachers that I learned a lot from were removed. It starts with the accredidation process and goes all the way thru to tenure and the unions that they form. They fight any change tooth and nail and pull out their archaic union contracts to make sure they keep their cushy six figure jobs where they only put in 9 months out of the year.

What happens is that students learn the tools so they can recognize the bs of the reactionary TP socon nonsense.

I really don't think PC has a clue as to what actually goes on in higher ed. I have a daughter studying, broadly, "public policy" in a well ranked private liberal arts college. If she denied there was an underclass that needed a helping hand, she'd do poorly, because there literally is a right and wrong answer. The question is what is an appropriate helping hand. It is acceptable to reason that perhaps our welfare system is actually a detriment. It's not ok to say society would be better if we "let nature take its course." Victorian England was not a good place.

Similarly, there was recently the discussions of the ACA in law schools. The consensus was that regardless of the policy, the law was constitutional both under the commerce clause and the taxing power. Further, despite cries of the luntatic fringe, while the law may bankrupt the nation, it simply doesn't present the constitutional challanges of either civil rights or the Nixon impeachment proceedings. It's just not a close call as to congressional power. If a law student doesn't get that, he/she gets a bad grade because, again, there Is a right and wrong answer.

And simply shouting that there's a leftwing bias in education doesn't alter the reality. People may want to alter reality, but that doesn't mean they get the power to do so. If you don't get the right answere when there objectively is one, you should be denied reward. And of course, academia had more than it's fair share in the liberal spectrum. But that doesn't mean more conservative students are discriminated against. In fact, my experience is sort of the opposite. They challange educators, and educators reward a well mannered, reasoned challange.

Last edited:

Guilty as charged.

2. Does going to Columbia explain why are you are such a terrible debater, or was that something that even a great university like Columbia couldn't fix,

1. Where did I say Columbia was 'horrible'?

It suffers as do all our universities...from a horrible disease...a Liberal infestation.

2. " Does going to Columbia explain why are you are such a terrible debater,"
Based on your unbroken record of fabrication.....you statement can only be viewed as the reverse....and a compliment to me.

3. At the very least, you should be thanking me for providing the majority of your education.
The fact that you ignore same is a reflection on your character.

Question for the author of this thread:

Why do you never object to schools like Oral Roberts University, or Bob Jones, or Regent University, or Liberty University?

They are at least as biased to the right as any schools are biased to the left.

Isn't your selective objection to bias, i.e., only if it's leftward bias, a bias itself?

Shouldn't you clean up your own bias before you start attacking others for what you claim is theirs?

Why do you never object to schools like Oral Roberts University, or Bob Jones, or Regent University, or Liberty University?

Isn't your selective objection to bias, i.e., only if it's leftward bias, a bias itself?

Shouldn't you clean up your own bias before you start attacking others for what you claim is theirs?

OMG, they're religious universities.... of course they're going to have a 'bias'... that's why they were founded to begin with. :lol:

Guilty as charged.

1. Where did I say Columbia was 'horrible'?

It suffers as do all our universities...from a horrible disease...a Liberal infestation.

2. " Does going to Columbia explain why are you are such a terrible debater,"
Based on your unbroken record of fabrication.....you statement can only be viewed as the reverse....and a compliment to me.

3. At the very least, you should be thanking me for providing the majority of your education.
The fact that you ignore same is a reflection on your character.

Name 5 fabrications I'm guilty of on this board, and prove they are in fact so.

If I have an unbroken record of such, that should be easy. But since I don't,

we can safely conclude that you are one guilty of fabrication.

OMG, they're religious universities.... of course they're going to have a 'bias'... that's why they were founded to begin with. :lol:

So 'bias' is nothing to complain about? Why not tell that to the author of this thread?

Forum List

Back