Education v. War

It is all a matter of percentages. How much of the treasury should be spent on national defense and how much should be spent on education. I think that schools should be privatized and attendance optional. It does not take that much to educate a child. My grandfather didn't go beyond 8th grade but he did well. Parents and private individuals can educate children. Education can be done at the local, if not individual, level. Yet, I doubt that loosely knit individuals can provide a national defense. It requires a centralized organization and federalized system. Such a system requires lots of money.

Originally posted by Bern80
If you read my first post again i said i don't think any dollar amount you throw at education is going to help. What exactley are they going to spend the money on that will improve learning in children. There is nothing you can buy that I can think of that will improve a child's ability/desire, a teachers drive/commitment and a parents love/encouragement in education.

Well, let's just do away with the public school system and let parents teach their children at home. Then, maybe we can donate all the money saved to Lockheed Martin who makes .pretty weapons.

While we are at it lets throw all of the underpaid teachers in jail because I'm tired of their bitching...

Geez NYCFlasher you start a thread inviting a difference of opinion and when someone offers a contrary position to yours you respond by being a smartass. :confused:

Originally posted by nycflasher
Well, let's just do away with the public school system and let parents teach their children at home. Then, maybe we can donate all the money saved to Lockheed Martin who makes .pretty weapons.

While we are at it lets throw all of the underpaid teachers in jail because I'm tired of their bitching...

These terms are acceptable. Sign here please _________________

If you read my first post again i said i don't think any dollar amount you throw at education is going to help. What exactley are they going to spend the money on that will improve learning in children. There is nothing you can buy that I can think of that will improve a child's ability/desire, a teachers drive/commitment and a parents love/encouragement in education.

Pencils and paper improve a childs' ability/desire. Higher wages would effect a teachers' drive. A parents' love and encouragement is not within the realm of the education budget.... I don't think.

Originally posted by Sir Evil
RW - You just never cease to amaze me! you are one funny character!:D

I just saw a good opportunity and I tried to get it in writing!

Originally posted by MtnBiker
Geez NYCFlasher you start a thread inviting a difference of opinion and when someone offers a contrary position to yours you respond by being a smartass. :confused:

Hmm. I'm ALWAYS a smartass.

I thought I addressed your point in a pretty serious manner, though:

"I'm just suggesting that there are other ways to spend 400 billion dollars.

Or perhaps suggesting that there are things our country gives up in the name of war.

Sure is easy to ignore the other stuff when you are fighting terrorism. I gotta go search my video archives for Bush Campaign Promises. What was that...no child left behind?"

No?
Sorry if I offended, just trying to mix in a little humor but I guess I 'm the only one laughing. White people.
:cof:

Pencils and paper improve a childs' ability/desire. Higher wages would effect a teachers' drive. A parents' love and encouragement is not within the realm of the education budget.... I don't think.

I see, so education can never get better until we create a utopian classless society, where pencils grow on trees. How convenient for you blame-shifting libs.

We already spend more per student than we ever have, even if you adjust the statistics to reflect inflation.

Originally posted by Sir Evil
Damn Flasher you must be a teacher! I have to say that I truly believe that alot of teachers are very well compensated for what they do! Now that is in my area, perhaps different in yours.

lol, I'm not a teacher.
Yet.
Some teachers are quite well paid, like professors making upwards of 6 figures. Or public school teachers in wealthy towns. Others do quite alot of work for quite little pay...until they burnout and quit. Seen it happen quite alot.

That's quite the extrapolation there flasher. How did you come up with that from what i said?

Pencils and paper improve a childs' ability/desire. Higher wages would effect a teachers' drive.
"ooooh paper. now i want to learn." Getting a bright shiny new statistics book didn't make want to learn statistics anymore either. anybody who goes into teaching for the money shouldn't be a teacher, though benefits to teachers for class success rates isn't a bad idea.

A parents' love and encouragement is not within the realm of the education budget.... I don't think.

That's kinda my point

Originally posted by mattskramer
We already spend more per student than we ever have, even if you adjust the statistics to reflect inflation.

And we still can't afford paper for very classroom? Doesn't that shit grow on trees?:rolleyes:

What I love is when the Board of Ed. sits around and decides what percentage pay increase THEY'LL be taking next year...

That's quite the extrapolation there flasher. How did you come up with that from what i said?

"ooooh paper. now i want to learn." Getting a bright shiny new statistics book didn't make want to learn statistics anymore either. anybody who goes into teaching for the money shouldn't be a teacher, though benefits to teachers for class success rates isn't a bad idea.

That's kinda my point

I guess I don't understand your point; I don't mean to belittle it.
Better schools are a good thing.
Education is a good thing.
Teachers are PERHAPS underpaid (compared to a $17 mil. a year Kobe Bryant?).
Some classrooms don't have the basics like paper to write, draw, read, make paper airplanes out of. That's fucking pathetic.
I suppose it is perhaps more of a local issue, though, as mentioned above.

I think money is a HUGE issue. We just need to be sure it's spent properly.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
No you did not offend me, I wasn't referring to my post rather to Bern80's. Perhaps I just need to calm down alittle.

Deep breaths :D

Form is everything;)

Okay. If we are not going to privatize education that we can redistribute resources. I think that we can and should reduce the "red tape" and bureaucracy. We can remove some of the "middlemen" and focus more on the children than on politics.

Originally posted by mattskramer
Okay. If we are not going to privatize education that we can redistribute resources. I think that we can and should reduce the "red tape" and bureaucracy. We can remove some of the "middlemen" and focus more on the children than on politics.

I agree, to the extent that the system sucks.
I have never liked the American school system much. I'm open to any ideas.

Like standardized testing, for example. I understand that there has been alot of drama over these tests. Schools cheat just to qualify fro funding, and the like. I guess that's what you might call beuracracy getting in the way of a kid's education.

I think the common goal has to be enabling every child to get a college education. Too often, money dictates this now. A alrger problem is children growing up in enviroments that don't foster education. If most of the people around you don't go, why are you going to go? If Joe down the street makes $200/day selling weed/dope whatever... that life might look alot more tempting. That's why I think it's important to get kids attention when they are young and impressionable.

And this is where I think the state/federal government can help.

I will never forget the scene in the movie "Lean on Me" in which the character played by Morgan Freeman kicked out the troublemakers and those who really didn't care to learn and then turned the school into a success.

"Stand and Deliver" was another great movie in which a no-nonsense, but positive-minded teacher shaped up a school.

A good teacher can save SO MANY lives.
Maybe as many as a Marine?

Apples and oranges. Please don't become a liberal when you grow up. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Forum List

Back