Education v. War

nycflasher

Apr 15, 2004
CT
How come there is never enough money for Education, but always enough to fund the Great War Machine?

Thats one of the saddest things I've seen with this nation. We've literally got enough in a budget to find cures for aids, cancer, leukemia, Lupus, and a host of other things, but we've allowed ourselves to indulge in a military beefup and alot of defense waste thats not necessary.

Evidence from the National Center for Educational Statistics for the 1989-1990 school year found that the higher the percentage of minority students in a school district, the higher the level of spending, even after differences in cost of living and other variables were held constant. Districts with a 'minority/majority' were not 'starved' compared to overwhelmingly white districts; they actually spent 15% more, on the average, than districts in which minority enrollment was less than 5%.

In addition, black inner city schools typically spent far more than primarily white suburban schools per student. For example, both Hartford, Conn's. and Washington DC's schools spend substantially more per pupil that their suburban surroundings. Kozol was wrong. Predominantly black school districts are generally well funded in comparison to white districts.

truemajority_1793_434199

Originally posted by Big D
Evidence from the National Center for Educational Statistics for the 1989-1990 school year found that the higher the percentage of minority students in a school district, the higher the level of spending, even after differences in cost of living and other variables were held constant. Districts with a 'minority/majority' were not 'starved' compared to overwhelmingly white districts; they actually spent 15% more, on the average, than districts in which minority enrollment was less than 5%.

In addition, black inner city schools typically spent far more than primarily white suburban schools per student. For example, both Hartford, Conn's. and Washington DC's schools spend substantially more per pupil that their suburban surroundings. Kozol was wrong. Predominantly black school districts are generally well funded in comparison to white districts.

Hey dipshit, get out of my thread. The stupid Nazi fuck forum is just around the corner.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
Thats one of the saddest things I've seen with this nation. We've literally got enough in a budget to find cures for aids, cancer, leukemia, Lupus, and a host of other things, but we've allowed ourselves to indulge in a military beefup and alot of defense waste thats not necessary.

Something like half of the money that congress spends goes to the Pentagon. That's just disgusting.

I mean, can't we spare 10 billion or so for education?
Me thinks so.

Originally posted by nycflasher
Hey dipshit, get out of my thread. The stupid Nazi fuck forum is just around the corner.

Actually, Big D has an appropriate post here. You may not like it but you did bring up education, war, and the cost.

Actually, Big D has an appropriate post here. You may not like it but you did bring up education, war, and the cost.

Hmm... should I just leave you two to have a conversation then?
I mentioned education and war, he brought up education and race.

The two are not related.
Nothing he says is remotely interesting and he never makes a good point.

Enough said.

Hmm... should I just leave you two to have a conversation then?

I'd rather you not.

I mentioned education and war, he brought up education and race. The two are not related.

And you also brought up the cost of both. Big D may have put in the side note and brought race into it as well, but it did cover 2 of the 3 points you started.

Nothing he says is remotely interesting and he never makes a good point.

I disagree, he made a halfway good point here.

Something like half of the money that congress spends goes to the Pentagon. That's just disgusting.

I mean, can't we spare 10 billion or so for education?
Me thinks so.

How is 10 million dollars going to change the way people learn. You can have as many state of the art environments and all the technology in the world provided to students, but at the end of the day it's about the actual people (i.e. parents emphasizing school to their children and teachers trying to make a connection to their students and a willingness to learn on the part of students none of which has anything to do with money). It's a typical liberal solution to a problem. Throw money at it and it will go away.

On the other hand at the rate our troops are getting blown up it looks like we need every penny.

Originally posted by Bern80
How is 10 million dollars going to change the way people learn. You can as many state of the art environments and all the technology in the world provided to students, but at the end of the day it's about the actual people (i.e. parents emphasizing school to their children and teachers trying to make a connection to their students and a willingness to learn on the part of students none of which has anything to do with money). It's a typical liberal solution to a problem. Throw money at it and it will go away.

On the other hand at the rate our troops are getting blown up it looks like we need every penny.

he said 10 billion, not 10 million.

he said 10 billion, not 10 million.

oooookay, that really doesn't change much as far as the context of my post though, but if you want use 10 billion and respond to my post.

oooookay, that really doesn't change much as far as the context of my post though, but if you want use 10 billion and respond to my post.

I don't know if it will help or not, I just pointed out mistaking the letter B for the letter M.

Having seen 6 years of wasted money in the military, I'd say they should review how they spend their money, not throw more money at the problem. ;)

I'd rather you not.

And you also brought up the cost of both. Big D may have put in the side note and brought race into it as well, but it did cover 2 of the 3 points you started.

I disagree, he made a halfway good point here.

Well...touche. I just don't like to see someone as smart as you defending a racist asshole. But do what you want, I do:p:

I just disagree that his point was halfway good. By making it all about race in his misguided attempt to discredit any race other than his own, he belittles every subject he touches with his grimy paws. Easily discredited, and easily ignored. But here you have me ranting about him in my own thread...doh!

Go skin your cat, Big D!

Well...touche. I just don't like to see someone as smart as you defending a racist asshole. But do what you want, I do:p:

I'm defending his point about cost, not necessarily him. I'm smart but I'm also fair.

10 billion is 1000 times 10 million, soit is a bit of a difference. That would be 20 times more money for each state, on average!

With schools cutting sports and after school programs, and others unable to afford some of the basics like paper I think some more money could go a long way.

Of course, good parenting is invaluable. But a good support system is, also.

Uh, it the federal governments job to appropriate funds for the defense department, it is the state and local governments to fund the brunt of school funding. Your premiss is misleading.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
Uh, it the federal governments job to appropriate funds for the defense department, it is the state and local governments to fund the brunt of school funding. Your premiss is misleading.

me and my fuzzy math again... lol... point taken

I'm just suggesting that there are other ways to spend 400 billion dollars.

Or perhaps suggesting that there are things our country gives up in the name of war.

Sure is easy to ignore the other stuff when you are fighting terrorism. I gotta go search my video archives for Bush Campaign Promises. What was that...no child left behind?

My pale, white ass...

10 billion is 1000 times 10 million, soit is a bit of a difference. That would be 20 times more money for each state, on average!

With schools cutting sports and after school programs, and others unable to afford some of the basics like paper I think some more money could go a long way.

Of course, good parenting is invaluable. But a good support system is, also.

If you read my first post again i said i don't think any dollar amount you throw at education is going to help. What exactley are they going to spend the money on that will improve learning in children. There is nothing you can buy that I can think of that will improve a child's ability/desire, a teachers drive/commitment and a parents love/encouragement in education.

If you read my first post again i said i don't think any dollar amount you throw at education is going to help. What exactley are they going to spend the money on that will improve learning in children. There is nothing you can buy that I can think of that will improve a child's ability/desire, a teachers drive/commitment and a parents love/encouragement in education.

Very true - It's the people involved, not the money!

Forum List

Back