Ebay Seller's you might want to read this!

Trinity

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2004
This is supposed to go into effect in May for Ohio!

And if you're an online seller in Ohio, you may be in for a rude awakening. According to Ohio auctioneer Max K. Walton, CAI/AARE and President of the Walton School of Auctioneering, "Our Ohio Legislature just passed into law Senate Bill 209 which has become a part of Ohio Revised Code of Laws, which does address internet selling at auction. I checked with the Ohio Dept. of Agriculture who administers our auctioneer law. Ohio is going to enforce E-bay sellers and require an auction firm license. It is my understanding that it will be covered in the following manner. The principal of the Seller will have to Post a $50,000.00 Bond pass a written exam.., and have a currently licensed auctioneer conduct the actual auctions including contracts, funds dispersal, etc. There are presently no requirements for the internet seller to attend auction school unless they want all the other benefits that come from the license."

According to Donna Brinker of the Ohio Department of Agriculture, the fee for the license will be $100 a year and the only exemption is for people selling their "own items"…BUT that does not include people who "purchase items for resale"… for example, a dealer who attends live auctions, buys merchandise and then brings it home or to their shop where they sell it online. Ohio law, she said, would in that case require an auction firm license. She added the original intent (and "intent" she pointed out can be interpreted differently by different courts) was to see that those people who are handling "public monies" and providing auction services, such as drop-off online auction centers, be licensed as auctioneers.

There are several other states listed. Those of you who sell on Ebay may want to check this out!
http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y05/m02/i25/s02

They can probably get around it by putting a "Buy It Now" price on their items which is 1 penny more than their "starting bid", thus ending any chance for actual "bidding", at which point it becomes just like Amazon...

everyones gotta make their money i guess. might as well fuck the internet while they are at it

Forum List

Back