Eating High-Cholesterol is FINE, Study Finds...

alpine

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2012
A new study provides more evidence that eating high-cholesterol food does not increase the risk for heart disease.

The Finnish study, in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, followed 1,032 initially healthy men ages 42 to 60. About a third were carriers of ApoE4, a gene variant known to increase the risk for heart disease (and Alzheimer’s). The researchers assessed their diets with questionnaires and followed them for an average of 21 years, during which 230 men developed coronary artery disease....

After controlling for age, education, smoking, B.M.I., diabetes, hypertension and other characteristics, the researchers found no association between cardiovascular disease and total cholesterol or egg consumption in either carriers or noncarriers of ApoE4.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/...e-heart-risks/?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

Eggs? Hell I've known that for like 40 years. I still eat eggs every day. Cholesterol produced in the body is not the same thing as cholesterol taken in a food supply.

Really, I thought this was established a long time ago.

Eggs? Hell I've known that for like 40 years. I still eat eggs every day. Cholesterol produced in the body is not the same thing as cholesterol taken in a food supply.

Really, I thought this was established a long time ago.
It was. High carb diets lead to high cholesterol. Your body breaks down fat and cholesterol with or without exercise. Sugar makes your liver produce cholesterol (the bad kind).

Red meat got a bad rap and many still believe it and kill themselves with low fat/high carb diets. But it's good for big pharma so the government keeps the myth going.

I eat 3 eggs every day, plenty of red meat and dairy. No cholesterol problems.

Red meat got a bad rap and many still believe it and kill themselves with low fat/high carb diets. But it's good for big pharma so the government keeps the myth going.

I don't eat red meat but not so much for the fat content. More because I know something about what's in the path it took from the animal to the plate, and also because it's a grossly inefficient use of land compared to crops.

But I have no reservations on eggs, or animal-derived products like cheese and yogurt.

Yesterday I happened to drive by my favorite breakfast restaurant, which means I had two omelets. :rock:

That was part of the whole crusade against saturated fat. It was started by Ancil Keyes in the fifties. He published a bogus study using cherry-picked data that was quickly treated as gospel.

It's not unlike the global warming hysteria today. An obscure college student named Michael Mann published a bogus paper using cherry-picked data and it quickly became gospel.

Big pharma, government, and hospital continue to promote lies....like this recent report
New study says Paleo diet 'unhealthy and fattening' angering ardent devotees
While I agree with their warning about fad diets, the following statement is complete bullshit.

“We are told to eat zero carbs and lots of fat on the paleo diet,” said associate professor Sof Andrikopoulos.

A paleo diet is not a zero carb diet. It is a diet with zero grain, dairy and heavily processed foods.

Last edited:
Whoever is calling a paleo diet high fat is disingenuous. It's basically eating food like our early ancestors. Not many wild animals are fat, maybe if you are comparing it to the high carb/low fat craze of today. I'm sure paleo man ate carbs, veggies and fruit too.

While the harmlessness of a high-cholesterol diet has been demonstrated many times in studies, even MD's continue to advise their patients to reduce their dietary intake of cholesterol. It is like a mantra.

The same is true of dietary salt, which is dangerous only for certain ethnic groups. For most people, salt intake is completely harmless.

The same is true of excessive sun exposure. It is dangerous for ethnically light-skinned people (English, Irish, Norwegians, etc), but for Italians, Mexicans, and so on, there is no reason to be splashing on sun-block.

Forum List

Back