DUNE 2020

Dune is already working on a sequel in writing the script

The sequel to 'Dune' was written 44-years-ago. It's called 'Children of Dune'.

I predict this latest iteration of 'Dune' will fail, not because it's a bad premise, but because the book 'Dune' is such a sweeping epic of intricate plots and sub-plots so far removed from popular science fiction, that it can't be condensed into a 3-hour movie.

David Lynch's 1984 'Dune', was a disappointment for 'Dune' fans and confusing for people who had never read the novel for precisely that reason.

A similar example, is Peter Jacksons 2001 (and 2002 ... and 2003) 'Lord of the Rings'. More than nine hours of film and they still had to leave out Tom Bombadil and his hippy wife.
Jacksons version of LOTR was absolutely pathetic, walked out half way through "Fellowship" and stayed away from everything after that point... A motion picture I might be interested in would be Steven R. Donaldson's Lord Fouls Bane, The Illearth War, and The Power That Preserves, but they'd definitely fuck that up too...

Wow, a series I read decades ago! They were all excellent, but you had to read them twice to get all of the meaning.
Truly a masterclass of writing, and I agree with you, no one could do them justice in a film.

I am sorry but I just don’t see “ little Timmy “ as the hero or savior
I though Paul would be a very macho and manly guy

The trailer looks decent, but I've been fooled before. At least there are thopters.

Had hoped for a little of the Zimmer score.

https://twitter.com/TwitterMovies

There was a 'Dune' movie in development in the '70s by the Chilean director Alejandro Jodorowski. It never got past the storyboards and concept art.

But, Pink Floyd was attached to do the soundtrack and apparently some songs were composed before the project died.

I am sorry but I just don’t see “ little Timmy “ as the hero or savior
I though Paul would be a very macho and manly guy

In the book, Paul ages from 15 to 18. The actor is the same age as McLaughlin in the original (25), but is Michael Jackson-spindly enough to pull off the age difference.

The trailer looks decent, but I've been fooled before. At least there are thopters.

There was a 'Dune' movie in development in the '70s by the Chilean director Alejandro Jodorowski. It never got past the storyboards and concept art.

But, Pink Floyd was attached to do the soundtrack and apparently some songs were composed before the project died.

Yeah, I read Jodorowski's plot alterations. I'm glad that never got made.

I've seen other Jodorowski movies ... he would have taken a huge dump on Herbert's text.

The sequel to 'Dune' was written 44-years-ago. It's called 'Children of Dune'.

Actually, the first sequel was called "Dune Messiah". "Children of Dune" was the third book in the series.

No film version of DUNE will ever equal the film I saw in my head the first time I read it. That's probably true of everyone.

Frank Herbert liked the overall look of Lynch's, but the story and the studio buried Lynch. He finally took his name off it.

The problem is, any version of the movie only makes sense if you read the books. And if you read the books, you already pictured the characters and settings in your head a certain way.

I thought that the Lynch version was fine. It had an all-star cast, including Kyle McLachlin, Patrick Stewart, Jurgen Purchow, Dean Stockwell. It also had Sting for that week and a half he thought he was an actor.

I detested the TV miniseries. Very sophomoric, terrible production values. Children of Dune was a bit better, but surely they could have found 10 year old twins to keep it authentically creepy.

The trailer for the remake debuts online tomorrow. We'll see.

I was fine with the Sci-Fi mini series. The CGI hasn't aged well, but you could say the same thing about the Star Wars Prequels. They were able to go into more detail about key plot points.

I'm sorry they didn't get to do "God Emperor of Dune".

I'm getting psyched.

What are we going to get out of the 2020 version that we didn't get out of the 1984 and 2000 versions?

A more authentic take on the book. Finally, ornithopters. No more "weirding modules". Better casting. A dirty, dusty environment.

When I first read the book, I envisioned it as essentially a medieval environment with BG sorcery and science-fiction tech tossed in. This looks more like that.

Lynch's approach was interesting. Looked great. Neat costumes and all. Bad casting. Cheesy anti-gravity box in place of thopters. Cheesy weirding modules. Over-acted across the board.

While it followed the outline, it wasn't Dune. Also, the studio wanted a two-hour film only. Pretty much screwed it right there.

The miniseries was quite bad in nearly all ways.

I've seen other Jodorowski movies ... he would have taken a huge dump on Herbert's text.

Yes. And he did.

A more authentic take on the book. Finally, ornithopters. No more "weirding modules". Better casting. A dirty, dusty environment.

When I first read the book, I envisioned it as essentially a medieval environment with BG sorcery and science-fiction tech tossed in. This looks more like that.

Lynch's approach was interesting. Looked great. Neat costumes and all. Bad casting. Cheesy anti-gravity box in place of thopters. Cheesy weirding modules. Over-acted across the board.

While it followed the outline, it wasn't Dune. Also, the studio wanted a two-hour film only. Pretty much screwed it right there.

I think the thing is, the book is always better. A book is more a direct relationship between the writer and the reader, and if the reader like it, then they will have their own vision.

A movie is going to be the result of hundreds of people, from conceptual artists, actors, screenwriters, directors, editors... All really sincerely trying to do the best they can.

I don't know how you could put an ornithopter on screen without it looking silly. Especially with 1980s technology.

Frankly, both previous interpretations were more faithful to the book than most adaptations I've seen. I'm watching Amazon's "The Boys", which is pretty good, but nowhere near what the Graphic Novels w
ere.

I think the thing is, the book is always better.

In general, yes.

I don't know how you could put an ornithopter on screen without it looking silly.

They have now. Looks great. Suspension of disbelief applies to both lit and film. There is no sound in space, yet the battle over the Death Star was damn loud.

They have now. Looks great. Suspension of disbelief applies to both lit and film. There is no sound in space, yet the battle over the Death Star was damn loud.

We'll see.

Now, as long as you brought it up. Yes, there is no sound in space. Yet every space opera on film - Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Doctor Who, they all have exciting sound effects and explosions... it would be dramatically dull if they didn't.

Forum List

Back