Drunks & Grasshoppers

Flanders

ARCHCONSERVATIVE
Sep 23, 2010
Cigarette lawsuits are unlike asbestos lawsuits in that those who got sick from the latter did not inhale asbestos voluntarily. The same is true of product-defect lawsuits. Nobody buys a car knowing that it might cause an accident on its own. Had I been on this jury, I’m pretty sure I would not have gone along on this award:

MIAMI — A jury in northwestern Florida awarded a staggering $23 billion judgment late Friday against the country’s second-largest tobacco company for causing the death of a chain smoker who died of lung cancer at the age of 36.

The company, the R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, promised a prompt appeal.

Jury Awards $23.6 Billion in Florida Smoking Case
By FRANCES ROBLESJULY 19, 2014

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/20/b...-6-billion-in-florida-smoking-case.html?&_r=0

I never heard of a lush suing a distillery. I always assumed repealing Prohibition —— making booze legal again —— also repealed lawsuits. So I cannot agree with a tobacco company being punished for an individual’s behavior. Actually, drunks hurt family and friends in addition to drunk drivers killing and maiming strangers, while smokers only hurt themselves.

I think it is all about nailing large corporations. Now that Mary Jane is respectable a grasshopper will find it harder to find a lawyer than it is for lawyers to find deep pockets; at least until marijuana companies are as large and as wealthy as tobacco companies. That could take a century or more.

Without getting into the argument about proving that smoking is the root cause of some types of cancer, how does anybody know that a smoker did not smoke marijuana as well as smoke brand name cigarettes? It seems to me that juries take the word of plaintiffs and/or their witnesses. The possibility of puffers doing both is only going to grow as legal pot spreads nationwide. Question: How do you decide liability in those cases?

Then there is the question of advertising. How come firms that produce the commercials, and the ads, that sell harmful products are never held accountable? Tobacco company executives are crucified for lying. Advertising company executives should suffer the same fate.

Finally, until cigarettes are declared illegal:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeez, I see lawsuits coming:

DENVER (AP) — Officials at some Denver homeless shelters say the legalization of marijuana has contributed to an increase in the number of younger people living on the city's streets.

XXXXX

"Of the new kids we're seeing, the majority are saying they're here because of the weed," . . .

XXXXX

At the St. Francis Center, a daytime homeless shelter, pot is the second most frequently volunteered reason for being in Colorado, after looking for work.

Pot seen as reason for rise in Denver homeless
4 hours ago

Pot seen as reason for rise in Denver homeless

We seem to be getting close to a time where cigarettes will be deemed illegal without actually being deemed illegal. I can't think of many public places where you can light up anymore without the law breathing down your neck. Also, No way that settlement stands.

Forum List

Back