Drug Use, Abuse & Poverty

SAYIT

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2012
It is often nobly suggested that we are each other's keeper - that we are morally obligated to provide a financial safety net - and while most Americans agree in principal, the devil is in the details. The age old "give a man a fish and/or teach him to fish" is an intuitive guiding principal.
There are probably newer studies but the one below published by The National Bureau of Economic Research exposes the impact of drug use on one's educational and earning capabilities and raises the question: Is society really financially responsible for those who make such choices?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...65.pdf&usg=AFQjCNElUVGUN2LoOJnPUM0Hf_M3WgofiQ

"Toward this end, I present the results of both descriptive and multivariate analyses of the relationship between drug use and poverty for two national samples of young adults. One sample is drawn from the National Household Survey of Drug Abuse (NHSDA); the other is from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth (NLSY). The results of the analysis indicate that for both samples, drug use is associated with greater poverty..."

"The physiological effects of drug use, particularly those related to chronic drug use, suggests that drug use is expected to result in a reduction of physical and cognitive abilities.
Consequently, drug use is expected to lower productivity, reduce earnings, and result in an increased likelihood of poverty. Similarly, drug use may adversely affect educational achievement, or attainment, and hence lower earnings and increase poverty."

It is often nobly suggested that we are each other's keeper - that we are morally obligated to provide a financial safety net - and while most Americans agree in principal, the devil is in the details. The age old "give a man a fish and/or teach him to fish" is an intuitive guiding principal.
There are probably newer studies but the one below published by The National Bureau of Economic Research exposes the impact of drug use on one's educational and earning capabilities and raises the question: Is society really financially responsible for those who make such choices?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDQQFjACahUKEwiWv_7Pk7HIAhXCz4AKHf_NA0Y&url=http://www.nber.org/chapters/c11165.pdf&usg=AFQjCNElUVGUN2LoOJnPUM0Hf_M3WgofiQ

"Toward this end, I present the results of both descriptive and multivariate analyses of the relationship between drug use and poverty for two national samples of young adults. One sample is drawn from the National Household Survey of Drug Abuse (NHSDA); the other is from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth (NLSY). The results of the analysis indicate that for both samples, drug use is associated with greater poverty..."

"The physiological effects of drug use, particularly those related to chronic drug use, suggests that drug use is expected to result in a reduction of physical and cognitive abilities.
Consequently, drug use is expected to lower productivity, reduce earnings, and result in an increased likelihood of poverty. Similarly, drug use may adversely affect educational achievement, or attainment, and hence lower earnings and increase poverty."
Ironic you'd post this. I was informed yesterday that a young person we know is applying for SSI. This person used too many street drugs and then a good doctor supplied them with pharmaceuticals for five years. Now you have a total loss of a person in their early thirties out of the workforce.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDQQFjACahUKEwiWv_7Pk7HIAhXCz4AKHf_NA0Y&url=http://www.nber.org/chapters/c11165.pdf&usg=AFQjCNElUVGUN2LoOJnPUM0Hf_M3WgofiQ

Ironic you'd post this. I was informed yesterday that a young person we know is applying for SSI. This person used too many street drugs and then a good doctor supplied them with pharmaceuticals for five years. Now you have a total loss of a person in their early thirties out of the workforce.

Not just the loss of their productivity (and taxes) but now a burden on the rest of us. I understand there are those who can't work ... my problem is with those who CHOOSE not only to shirk their responsibility to society, but who CHOOSE to be a burden. Any money he takes from SSI will either reduce the benefits to those who deserve them, increase taxes on the rest of us or add to the national debt our kids and grandkids will inherit. How right is that?

Last edited:

Not just the loss of their productivity (and taxes) but now a burden on society. I understand there are those who can't work ... my problem is with those who CHOOSE not only to shirk their responsibility to society, but who CHOOSE to be a burden.
This particular person can work. May not be able to find a job or refuses to but actually can work.

I have wrote this before but will do it again for the sake of this thread and those who may read it;

Twenty years ago I had an guy that worked for us part time. He spoke seven different languages and every once in awhile that would come in handy. He was always looking for odd jobs to do around the community. He found this young beautiful girl that drew SSI. She was an alcohol syndrome baby that grew up to be a 21 year old disability collector. He brought her once to the house. We were in the middle of remodeling. She did seem slow but she was not totally disabled. I had been painting the walls in the bathroom we had just finished. She asked if she could try it. She was delighted that she could actually do something useful and asked if she could come back. Given a chance with the right instruction that girl had possibilities but society did not create an avenue for her to find those possibilities. Instead it just gave her a lifelong pension and that guy and many others took advantage of that. She ended up being a cocaine abuser herself with whoever would hang out with her.

'Inhumane' drug rehab in Mexico shut down...
confused.gif

271 people, mostly minors, freed from 'inhumane' drug rehab in Mexico
May 19, 2016 -- At least 271 people, mostly minors, were rescued from an overcrowded drug rehabilitation center in Mexico that authorities described as "inhumane."
Mexican authorities announced on Wednesday a police operation Tuesday night found that 91 men, 68 women and 112 minors were alleged victims of the Spiritual Awakening, Alcoholics and Drug Addicts of the West rehab center in Mexico's western state of Jalisco. Officials said at least 18 minors were abused and 13 had been physically beaten and burned with cigarettes. "We found very serious conditions of overcrowding," Jalisco State Attorney Jesús Eduardo Almaguer said in a statement. "We also found that people were being fed in a subhuman and inappropriate way."

271-people-mostly-minors-freed-from-inhumane-drug-rehab-in-Mexico.jpg

At least 11 men were arrested on suspicion of mistreating and abusing women and children, while 11 others face arrest warrants. The Jalisco state attorney's office was alerted to the problem after receiving a complaint from a woman who said she was beaten and held at the facility until she paid about $80 after visiting a patient.

Jalisco State Gov. Aristóteles Sandoval said a thorough investigation into sexual and physical abuse, extortion and deprivation of liberty has been launched. "It is not possible that people seeking help to quit their addiction problem are confused and abused so inhumanely," Sandoval said in a statement. "We will review all rehabilitation centers to prevent from happening what we found in this shelter."

271 people, mostly minors, freed from 'inhumane' drug rehab in Mexico

Forum List

Back