Drone Strike Vigil

hipeter924

Not a zombie yet
May 5, 2009
Nowhere you can follow
Normally don't share blogs (especially New Zeakand ones), but a vigil to the victims of drone strikes is such a thoughtful idea, I decided to share it:
John Key finds the drone program “justified”, but his standard cavalier approach doesn’t fly when applied to murder in our name. We are 1 of only 5 countries involved in the so called “5 eyes program”, along with Australia, the United Kingdom, the United States and Canada, who through this network are actively supporting US drone attacks world wide. We have joined an elitist death squad which is in breach of our own democratic rules of law and the International Geneva Conventions on the rules of war.

We may be a little country at the end of the world, but many of us travel. I used to feel an extra layer of safety because I was just from little old New Zealand. A place where we stood up for the little guy, our name had integrity. Now that is gone. When I fly through a state known for terrorist activities, being a kiwi is no longer a small protection, we are complicit in a war of terror, we are the enemy. If someone asks me “how could you do this, how could you think this was ok?” I will have no answer. I will only be able to say: “….you’re right, that was my country, my people who did this to you.”
NO, NOT IN MY NAME .

Join the candlelight vigil, outside John Keys house, Halfway down Saint Stephens Avenue, Parnell, Auckland 5pm tonight. No more will we be complicit in drone assassinations.

Ruby Haazen LLB (Hons)/BA. Ruby has worked for UN Habitat in Kenya, for the International Crimes Court at the Hague and since returning to New Zealand as a research council and solicitor. She has a passion for environmental and social justice and has worked with a number of NGO’s to campaign for a better world.

- See more at: GUEST BLOG: Not in my name ? why you should be at the candle light vigil against Drone Strikes outside John Key?s house 5pm tonight « The Daily Blog
Time for the drone strikes to end, before more blood is spilled.

Anybody in New York lose a drone?...
icon_redface.gif

Drone Hits US Army Helo over NYC
September 22, 2017 - A Fort Bragg, North Carolina-based Army helicopter collided with a drone during a patrol over New York City on Thursday evening, according to news reports.
The Black Hawk was patrolling over New York City as part of a security detail for the U.N. General Assembly meeting that started early this week, Fox 5 D.C. reported. The collision damaged the helo’s fuselage and two blades. A piece of the drone was found in the oil cooler, a source told Fox 5. No injuries were reported.

black-hawk-3000-777x437.jpg

U.S. Army National Guard Soldiers from the 1-150th Assault Helicopter Battalion prepare a UH-60 Black Hawk for a training flight at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J.​

Information on the drone — who it belonged to and where it came from — is still unknown. Although New York City bans drones from flying in most locations, drones registered with the Federal Aviation Administration are permitted to fly above a handful of city parks.

Drone Hits US Army Helo over NYC - Defensetech

Forum List

Back