Driver Watched Touchscreen ; Pedestrian Died

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
If the video shown on the TV news is correct, then a dashboard touchscreen (combined with driver slack) just got a pedestrian killed. There's a few factors involved. The pedestrian was walking (slowly) with a bicycle, and she wasn't crossing in the crosswalk. Looking at the video though, it's apparent that the driver's eyes (of a self-driving uber with no passengers) ) were off the road, looking at the touchscreen, for an astonishing amount of time.

It's only the impact of the car hitting the pedestrian that took her eyes suddenly away from the touchscreen, with very shocked look on her face. Since the video began with the driver already looking at the touchscreen, we can't determine how long her eyes were off the road. So the actual time was even worse than the viewed time.

With tragic events like this + scores of cases of cars busting into 7-11s and peoples' living rooms (like I've never seen before), it's looking like we're living in a new and dangerous time. That is, one in which distractions from dashboard touchscreens and smart phones are causing cars to crash.

Before I could even get this posted, another bicylist was hit and killed by a car. Fox 13 News said it was by a "distracted driver". Dashboard screen ? Smart phone ? Take your pick.

How a Self-Driving Uber Killed a Pedestrian in Arizona

Last edited:
If the video shown on the TV news is correct, then a dashboard touchscreen (combined with driver slack) just got a pedestrian killed. There's a few factors involved. The pedestrian was walking (slowly) with a bicycle, and she wasn't crossing in the crosswalk. Looking at the video though, it's apparent that the driver's eyes (of a self-driving uber with no passengers) ) were off the road, looking at the touchscreen, for an astonishing amount of time.

It's only the impact of the car hitting the pedestrian that took her eyes suddenly away from the touchscreen, with very shocked look on her face. Since the video began with the driver already looking at the touchscreen, we can't determine how long her eyes were off the road. So the actual time was even worse than the viewed time.

With tragic events like this + scores of cases of cars busting into 7-11s and peoples' living rooms (like I've never seen before), it's looking like we're living in a new and dangerous time. That is, one in which distractions from dashboard touchscreens and smart phones are causing cars to crash.

Before I could even get this posted, another bicylist was hit and killed by a car. Fox 13 News said it was by a "distracted driver". Dashboard screen ? Smart phone ? Take your pick.

it was the jackass with the bike's fault, not the driver/car
at night walking across a 45mph road

Why have a self driving car if the Human as to be at attention all the time to takeover driving in an emergency? The person may as well simply drive the car.

FALSE! Both were at fault, especially the driver whose eyes were off the road waaaay too long. This is the danger of screen technology in motor vehicles.

FALSE! Both were at fault, especially the driver whose eyes were off the road waaaay too long. This is the danger of screen technology in motor vehicles.

Should I start posting news stories of people hit by cars that aren't self-driving? That should keep me busy for the next decade.

Should I start posting news stories of people hit by cars that aren't self-driving? That should keep me busy for the next decade.
Self-driving is not the point of the OP. The SCREEN is the point (dashboard screens & smart phones)

Dozens (if not hundreds) of car crashes are happening in America caused by screen distraction (eyes off the road TOO LONG), in ordinary cars,

Self-driving is not the point of the OP. The SCREEN is the point (dashboard screens & smart phones)

It still doesn't matter. People with their eyes on the road hit people all the time... when the people are dumb enough, or not paying attention, that walk in front of a moving car.

If she or the car had braked I would agree, even if it killed the pedestrian, but because neither did, I’m a little less apt to agree.

It still doesn't matter. People with their eyes on the road hit people all the time... when the people are dumb enough, or not paying attention, that walk in front of a moving car.
It matters. You're talking silly too

Dozens (if not hundreds) of car crashes are happening in America caused by screen distraction (eyes off the road TOO LONG), in ordinary cars,
Perhaps a self driving car is not the best example for making that point. If the car is really self driving, the person should be able to take a nap.

It matters. You're talking silly too

Silly? No I am talking common sense. Are you allergic to that?

"In 2015, 5,376 pedestrians and 818 bicyclists were killed in crashes with motor vehicles (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Traffic Safety Facts). These two modes accounted for 17.7 percent of the 35,092 total U.S. fatalities that year. Here are more facts and figures on pedestrian and bicycle crashes:"

Pedestrian & Bicycle Information Center

Perhaps a self driving car is not the best example for making that point. If the car is really self driving, the person should be able to take a nap.
Looks like the manufacturers are putting the cars out on the market too soon. They are racing one another, to be first. As George H Bush used to say >> BAD! BAD!

If she or the car had braked I would agree, even if it killed the pedestrian, but because neither did, I’m a little less apt to agree.

it doesn't natter ...look at the video--a driver could not see her in time...this is obvious
...you can't stop people from being stupid----and she was stupid--totally her fault...if she was not crossing there, she would be alive........
Jaywalking - FindLaw
it was dark out!!! and she is crossing a 45mph road--this is like begging to get hit

JUst because people with their eyes on the road get in crashes, that doesn't mean that crashes can't be caused by eyes being off the road too long. I feel silly even having to respond to something so silly. Of course it matters if your eyes are on the road, or not.

Forum List

Back