Dr. Lott takes on the Gun Violence Archive.....

A 2004 meeting by National Research Council — the preeminent research body in the United States, part of the National Academy of Sciences and chartered by Congress — examined the question, and an associated report from a research committee of experts, “Firearms and Violence: A Critical Review,” concluded that there was insufficient evidence to support claims about right-to-carry laws and crime: - See more at: Right-to-carry laws: Revisiting the link between guns and violent crime - Journalist's Resource

A member of the committee, political scientist James Q. Wilson, then at Pepperdine, agreed with the report’s overall conclusions, but in a dissent wrote that the evidence “suggests that RTC laws do in fact help drive down the murder rate.” This dissent was challenged by the National Research Council, which stated that “the scientific evidence does not support” Wilson’s position. - See more at: Right-to-carry laws: Revisiting the link between guns and violent crime - Journalist's Resource

Twitter...moron...you didn't read my post...

of the National Research Council (NRC) and reported in Firearms and Violence (2004). Based on this analysis, Aneja, Donohue and Zhang (2011) conclude that they “cannot replicate the NRC results using the NRC’s own data set” (p. 583) and that the NRC committee “published tables that could not be replicated.” (p. 614).

Subsequent to the publication of this article, members of the NRC panel demonstrated to the authors that the results in question were replicable if the authors used the data and statistical models described in Chapter 6 of the NRC (2004) report.

The results presented in Tables 1b and 2b of Section 4 of the article do not replicate the NRC results because different data and models were used in the attempted replication effort. Thus, the results reported in the article should not be interpreted to mean that if one uses the data and model used by the NRC panel the results they reported cannot be replicated.

Gun owners are the most law abiding members of the community.....and only shoot when the moron attacking them just will not run away......

Yeah, but you see, even if you buy that (I don't), I just don't see criminals -many of whom suffer from mental health or addiction issues - being intimidated by the mere sight of a gun being nervously held by a fat white boy 99.9999% of the time.

The reality is, DGU's are rare because they don't happen that often.

Gun owners are the most law abiding members of the community.....and only shoot when the moron attacking them just will not run away......

Yeah, but you see, even if you buy that (I don't), I just don't see criminals -many of whom suffer from mental health or addiction issues - being intimidated by the mere sight of a gun being nervously held by a fat white boy 99.9999% of the time.

All of the research says they happen a lot.......and I have listed the research over and over....you can deny it....but it is the fact, the truth and the reality.....

moron....criminals don't want to get shot either.........only a small number....235 are stupid enough or crazy enough to take on a victim who has a gun......the rest run away, are captured or are shot and just injured......

moron....criminals don't want to get shot either.........only a small number....235 are stupid enough or crazy enough to take on a victim who has a gun......the rest run away, are captured or are shot and just injured......

Again, the math doesn't add up.

Probabilities are that if DGU's happen 5 million or 1.5 million times, you'd have a larger body count.

Even if a MERE 1% of bad guys were deranged enough to try to take the gun, you'd have 50,000 Gun deaths in self defense a year.

That plain old doesn't happen.

Math is not your friend.

Again, the math doesn't add up.

Probabilities are that if DGU's happen 5 million or 1.5 million times, you'd have a larger body count.

Even if a MERE 1% of bad guys were deranged enough to try to take the gun, you'd have 50,000 Gun deaths in self defense a year.

That plain old doesn't happen.

Math is not your friend.
Moron...we are talking completely different researchers from different research disciplines....from both the public and private research community, with the majority of them anti gun...........

Even Kleck and Lott, the two biggest in the field began their research as anti gun, pro gun control.....

Get real moron....

All of the research says they happen a lot..

You can post whatver NRA crap you want.

The Tobacco industry published just as many studies that said smoking doesn't cause cancer.

Moron...not one source I use is from the NRA...as you can see by the links...you know....people can see you are lying....I actually post my links......

All of the research says they happen a lot.......and I have listed the research over and over....you can deny it....but it is the fact, the truth and the reality.....

Surveys are not fact, truth, or reality.

They have been conducted by experts in the field....from different research disciplines.....over a long period of time.....compared to you....who pulls a number out of your ass and thinks because you like it...that makes it correct.

They have been conducted by experts in the field....from different research disciplines.....over a long period of time.....compared to you....who pulls a number out of your ass and thinks because you like it...that makes it correct.

Your list includes surveys that don't exist, debunked surveys, surveys that weren't national, surveys you have 0 details on. Don't pretend you have a list of well done surveys. The NCVS is a very well done survey and that is where I get my numbers.

Your list includes surveys that don't exist, debunked surveys, surveys that weren't national, surveys you have 0 details on. Don't pretend you have a list of well done surveys. The NCVS is a very well done survey and that is where I get my numbers.

And you are lying......again. The research is the research....you hate what it shows....that AMericans uses guns to stop violent criminal attack in some studies at least 1,500,000 times a year...and that study was conducted by two rabid, anti gunners......

But please...the NCVS is not a defensive gun use study and doesn't even ask about defensive gun use.....you know that, we have been over and over it....and that you still use it shows what a vile, lying moron you are.

And you are lying......again. The research is the research....you hate what it shows....that AMericans uses guns to stop violent criminal attack in some studies at least 1,500,000 times a year...and that study was conducted by two rabid, anti gunners......

But please...the NCVS is not a defensive gun use study and doesn't even ask about defensive gun use.....you know that, we have been over and over it....and that you still use it shows what a vile, lying moron you are.

Your survey doesn't even say that'. Amazing how you pull numbers out of your ass.

Your survey doesn't even say that'. Amazing how you pull numbers out of your ass.

that study says exactly that.....liar.

Which one?

A commonly cited estimate by Kleck and Gertzshows between 1 to 2.5 million DGUs in the United States each year.[1]:64–65[11][6]

Lott’s data and honesty have been repeatedly called into question by other academics. In one case, he claimed to have done a survey that found in 98 percent of cases when a weapon is used in self-defense, it was only brandished and not fired. When other academics asked for his data, Lott claimed he lost it as the result of a catastrophic hard drive crash.

I have had a gun brandished at me in two robberies during my long life and did not get shot when I was unarmed. Both times I handed over my wallet and kept my life. As a result of that I moved out of the big city and took up residence in farm country where everybody knows everybody else and we are all armed to the teeth.

Lott’s data and honesty have been repeatedly called into question by other academics. In one case, he claimed to have done a survey that found in 98 percent of cases when a weapon is used in self-defense, it was only brandished and not fired. When other academics asked for his data, Lott claimed he lost it as the result of a catastrophic hard drive crash.

I have had a gun brandished at me in two robberies during my long life and did not get shot when I was unarmed. Both times I handed over my wallet and kept my life. As a result of that I moved out of the big city and took up residence in farm country where everybody knows everybody else and we are all armed to the teeth.

Had you been armed it may not have gone so well. Most crime happens in cities with high crime rates and low lawful gun ownership. Not sure how there can be millions of defenses.

Had you been armed it may not have gone so well. Most crime happens in cities with high crime rates and low lawful gun ownership. Not sure how there can be millions of defenses.

I know the legal rules of handling a fire arm taught to me by the military so many years ago. All I have to do is shout Halt and then Halt again. I am not required to yell Halt the third time and can legally open fire.

I know the legal rules of handling a fire arm taught to me by the military so many years ago. All I have to do is shout Halt and then Halt again. I am not required to yell Halt the third time and can legally open fire.

You said the robber had a gun. If you pulled one on him he might have been inclined to shoot. Unarmed you were not shot.

Which one?

A commonly cited estimate by Kleck and Gertzshows between 1 to 2.5 million DGUs in the United States each year.[1]:64–65[11][6]

And here are a number of studies.......

And these aren't all of the studies either...there are more...and they support the ones below.....

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....

The list below is the name of the group or researcher doing the study, the year of the study and the number of defensive gun uses that they found...also, wether police and military defensive gun use is included.....

GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717 ( no cops, military)

DMIa 1978...2,141,512 ( no cops, military)

L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,68 ( no cops, military)

Kleck......1994...2.5 million ( no cops, military)

Obama's CDC....2013....500,000--3million

--
------------------

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIb...1978...1,098,409 ( no cops, military)

Hart...1981...1.797,461 ( no cops, military)

Mauser...1990...1,487,342 ( no cops, military)

Gallup...1993...1,621,377 ( no cops, military)

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million ( the bill clinton study)

Journal of Quantitative Criminology--- 989,883 times per year."

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

-------------------------------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036 (no cops, military)

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..

If you take the studies from that Kleck cites in his paper, 16 of them....and you only average the ones that exclude military and police shootings..the average becomes 2 million...I use those studies because I have the details on them...and they are still 10 studies (including Kleck's)....

Forum List

Back