Dr. Google.

• Banned
checking-symptoms-online-today-main-180821_5166450dd7e888e0c48dd58074d9a935.fit-1240w.jpg

• Banned
Quote:

Consulting Dr. Google about your health may be helpful after all — unless you’re prone to health-related anxiety — with patients who researched their situation online reporting a better experience with their doctors, a new study has found

Previous research has warned online symptom checkers are frequently wrong and can lead to “cyberchondria,” or worry caused by trying to self-diagnose the problem on the internet.

The new paper confirmed hunting for health information online did increase anxiety among 40 percent of patients, but the majority — 77 percent — of people who searched found it had a positive influence on their interaction with the doctor.

Online diagnosis suffers from the fact that an untrained person doesn't know how to describe their symptoms.

Also, many serious illnesses share symptoms with more common illnesses. People often don't follow the first rule of diagnostics.

When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

• Banned
Online diagnosis suffers from the fact that an untrained person doesn't know how to describe their symptoms.

Also, many serious illnesses share symptoms with more common illnesses. People often don't follow the first rule of diagnostics.

That last of yours is interesting. I was only watching a British doctor using that analogy on TV today.

That last of yours is interesting. I was only watching a British doctor using that analogy on TV today.

It's a common expression with medicos.

• Banned

I'd not heard of it, but I truly get it.

2nd year nursing and med students take Pathophysiology, the study of diseases. Very few can study all those conditions and not start seeing the same symptoms in ourselves.

• Banned

2nd year nursing and med students take Pathophysiology, the study of diseases. Very few can study all those conditions and not start seeing the same symptoms in ourselves.

How many times have you had a brain tumour? :cool-45:

Every time I come here.

Every time I come here.

lol.

I didn't notice that with my pathophysiology class. Of course, I've already got some medical issues, so maybe I didn't need to see any more in myself. :p

Forum List

Back