Donnie and Vlad: A Love Story

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
In July 6th's New York Times, Frank Bruni had published "Donnie and Vlad: A Love Story," which is an editorial about Donald Trump's refractory, unrecouped and resoundingly disconcerting "love affair" with Vladimir Putin. Some quotes from the piece:
  • You can regard the relationship of Putin and Donald Trump as purely odd and possibly corrupt, or you can see in it and in them a classic tale of affections strangled and at times set free. It’s irrepressible, international — part “Clueless,” part “Casablanca.” They have gone through all the usual phases of courtship. They have plumbed all the customary emotions.
  • To be brutally honest and risk bruising his quivering heart, this has been a lopsided affair, unless you count Putin’s meddling in the 2016 election as the purest possible expression of ardor and fidelity, which I suppose you can.
  • Trump liked [Putin] and stopped playing coy in 2013, before he traveled to Moscow for the Miss Universe pageant there. “Do you think Putin will be going?” Trump tweeted, and you could picture him poised blushingly over his keypad, like a schoolgirl scribbling in her diary. “If so, will he become my new best friend?”
  • “I think our country does plenty of killing also,” [Trump] told Joe Scarborough on “Morning Joe.”

This was when Barack Obama was still in the White House, and the fact that he was Putin’s official counterpart, with more formal claim to the Russian leader’s time and attention, drove Trump a little mad. Jealousy is a tangerine-topped monster, and Trump repeatedly insisted that he’d be better with and for Putin, that Obama and Putin even looked wrong together.

“Really bad body language,” Trump tweeted at one point. And later, this, in an interview with Anderson Cooper: “He has no respect for Obama.” The proof, Trump added, was Edward Snowden’s safe harbor in Russia. “If I’m president, Putin says, ‘Hey, boom, you’re gone.’ I guarantee you this.” Love, alas, is as bad at predictions as it is blind.

After the event, he did what all freshly besotted lovers do: crowed to the world about the bliss that the two of them had known. “Putin even sent me a present, a beautiful present,” he said early the next year, at the Conservative Political Action Conference, but he failed to describe the token. Lovers have their confidences, and must hold tight to them.
  • “Can you imagine Putin sitting there waiting for a meeting and Rubio walks in and he’s totally drenched?” Trump said in the winter of 2016. “I’ve never seen a human being sweat like this man sweats.” Take me, Vlad. I don’t sweat. I glow.

Trump grew frisky. “Russia is like, I mean, they’re really hot stuff,” he blurted, and it was obvious that he was thinking of Putin, whom he’d mentioned a moment earlier.

Trump grew insecure. Not once and not twice but more than eight times he bragged that Putin had called him “brilliant” or “a genius,” when there was in fact much dispute about that. By some translations, Putin merely described him as “colorful,” and could well have been appraising nothing more than his vaguely orange hue.
  • Now, at long last, they come face to face, and while it’s uncertain what Trump will say, it’s clear what Trump has done: fashioned himself in the swaggering, blustering image of his beloved. It’s “Grease.” And it’s gross.
The "Twitterverse" too remarked carnally about the curious nature of Trump's behavior toward Putin.
Trump's has said, "I think it was Russia but I think it was probably other people and or countries." Notice he said "but," not "and." The two words do not have similar or related meanings. Too, neither is a "fancy" word; thus they both can be presumed to be well enough understood by all adult native speakers of English, and audience members can in turn safely assume that a speaker has not used one when the other is what they mean. Moreover, the only action Trump's overtly and publicly taken in response to Russia's meddling in the 2016 political process -- firing Comey -- is one he feels eased the "great pressure" issuing from the "Russia" investigation.

That's what he did despite his also having said and having been told by the then FBI Director that he wasn't under investigation. Think about that for a moment. Insofar as Trump wasn't, at the time he made the remark, under investigation, and he clearly knew that to be so, just how much actual "pressure" could he have been under as a consequence of the investigation? Russia, on the other hand, was and is surely under some measure of "pressure" as a result of the investigation. Thus, if firing Comey did ease some or all the "pressure" the investigation had at that point created, the Russians, Putin being the key one, are among the beneficiaries of his doing so. Consequently, closeted love, true love or neither, Trump's fawning approbation and unrequited succoring of Putin's (a gift given four years ago no longer counts) actions toward the U.S. has gone beyond being merely odd, veering resolutely toward being treasonous.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back